**Calling Out All NT Dj's**

Originally Posted by JordanFean23

Yo one more question fong, so your saying that only a Mac can be used to Dj?

No. Serato comes in windows version as well but people tend to use Macs moreso for whatever reason. I am sure they are pretty much the same but just make sure you at least know how to use a Mac just in case you hop on someone elses setup or whatever.

These are the minimum requirements for Serato. Buy a laptop according to this:

PLEASE NOTE: These are the minimum requirements to run Scratch Live. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you buy a higher spec computer. We also recommend Intel processors.

Mac

* 1 GHz G4
* 2 GB RAM*
* 1024 x 768 screen resolution
* OSX 10.4.11 or higher
* Intel Macs require Scratch Live version 1.5 or higher
* Available USB port (USB 2.0 required
for SL 3 & Sixty-Eight)

Windows

* Intel processor, 1.6 GHz or better
* 2 GB RAM*
* 1024 x 768 screen resolution
* Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or higher
* Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 or higher
* Windows 7
* Available USB port (USB 2.0 required
for SL 3 & Sixty-Eight)

*If you have a large library, you will benefit from having more RAM.

NOTE: If you are using Scratch Live 2.0's more system intensive features such as DJ FX or AUX Deck plugins and are having issues you may need a higher spec computer for best results or make sure you have optimized your system: www.serato.com (PC) www.serato.com (MAC).

NOTE: Please read this FAQ if you are looking at buying a computer with an AMD Turion or Athlon processor: www.serato.com.

If your on a budget you should check out midis like the vestex Vci 300 or the maudio one from above they normally have built in programs such as. Serato or torq.
Starting off with house parties is a good way since it's normally a low stress and work your way up to different events
You should also try remixing your own songs sampling different accapelas and instrumentals

Just my 2 cents

If your on a budget you should check out midis like the vestex Vci 300 or the maudio one from above they normally have built in programs such as. Serato or torq.
Starting off with house parties is a good way since it's normally a low stress and work your way up to different events
You should also try remixing your own songs sampling different accapelas and instrumentals

Just my 2 cents

this depends on what "kind" of dj u wanna be. real DJs use real turntables, not toy-like controllers. but then again it depends on if u just wanna be a bedroom dj, do local houseparties or actual clubs and real gigs. i myself, use technics sl-dz1200s and a mackie d.4pro firewire mixer along with traktor scratch pro. imo, TSP is MILES ahead of serato, has way more features and effects as well as allow u to control 4 decks at once (like if u have 2 vinyl turntables and 2 cd turntables). and if u buy the x1 controller, u can do ANY/EVERYTHING without touching ur laptop at all.
pimp.gif

i started out on 1200s so when i switched over to cd turntables i needed something that could, as accurately as possible, emulate actual 12s, which is obviously why i went with the digital 12s. pioneer cdjs are obviously the industry standard (like real idiots, technics gave up on the dz-1200s
smh.gif
), but the platter (cdj) feels like a toy. there is def. alot to consider tho. best advice i can give: if ur serious about this, go ahead and spend the money in the beginning because eventually u will HAVE to.

this depends on what "kind" of dj u wanna be. real DJs use real turntables, not toy-like controllers. but then again it depends on if u just wanna be a bedroom dj, do local houseparties or actual clubs and real gigs. i myself, use technics sl-dz1200s and a mackie d.4pro firewire mixer along with traktor scratch pro. imo, TSP is MILES ahead of serato, has way more features and effects as well as allow u to control 4 decks at once (like if u have 2 vinyl turntables and 2 cd turntables). and if u buy the x1 controller, u can do ANY/EVERYTHING without touching ur laptop at all.
pimp.gif

i started out on 1200s so when i switched over to cd turntables i needed something that could, as accurately as possible, emulate actual 12s, which is obviously why i went with the digital 12s. pioneer cdjs are obviously the industry standard (like real idiots, technics gave up on the dz-1200s
smh.gif
), but the platter (cdj) feels like a toy. there is def. alot to consider tho. best advice i can give: if ur serious about this, go ahead and spend the money in the beginning because eventually u will HAVE to.

Maybe you should check out an all-in-one midi-controller (no mixer needed) before you jump to either turntables or cdjs w/ a mixer. It easier to get acclimated & understand the different elements of DJing & much cheaper. My first 6 months of DJing, I learned to spin on a Numark NS-7 and I highly suggest it for beginners.

33542259-2-440-FT.jpg

If you want to get turntables. You have to get technic 1200's w/ a serato needles by ortophon and a Rane mixer with Serato (probably the rane ttm-57sl).

If you want to get cdjs, You probably want the cdj1000's since the cdj2000s are so pricey and a version of the DJ-m Mixer.

I too hate on Serato DJs & DJs who don't really spin. I opened for Steve Aoki in Florida a few months back on a mini tour. Guy was still using Serato and hardly even mixing his tracks. Just jumping out down to music and raging like a performer.... not a DJ. Granted he did produce some of his own stuff... but I was really unimpressed.

Here is a quick pic of my set up. I spin 4 decks, 2 cdjs to ride the tracks and the technics to scratch in. I often spin as a duo with my best friend. Good luck man! It's never to late to learn.

2r5cdjr.jpg

Maybe you should check out an all-in-one midi-controller (no mixer needed) before you jump to either turntables or cdjs w/ a mixer. It easier to get acclimated & understand the different elements of DJing & much cheaper. My first 6 months of DJing, I learned to spin on a Numark NS-7 and I highly suggest it for beginners.

33542259-2-440-FT.jpg

If you want to get turntables. You have to get technic 1200's w/ a serato needles by ortophon and a Rane mixer with Serato (probably the rane ttm-57sl).

If you want to get cdjs, You probably want the cdj1000's since the cdj2000s are so pricey and a version of the DJ-m Mixer.

I too hate on Serato DJs & DJs who don't really spin. I opened for Steve Aoki in Florida a few months back on a mini tour. Guy was still using Serato and hardly even mixing his tracks. Just jumping out down to music and raging like a performer.... not a DJ. Granted he did produce some of his own stuff... but I was really unimpressed.

Here is a quick pic of my set up. I spin 4 decks, 2 cdjs to ride the tracks and the technics to scratch in. I often spin as a duo with my best friend. Good luck man! It's never to late to learn.

2r5cdjr.jpg

^^^^Totally agree with the spending thing. Do not get budget gear at first cause it will be a waste when you will eventually upgrade in the long run. If you are serious, then you have to spend serious cash. Get all the good stuff out the bat.

Well here's some cons, if you can over come them you might want to look into it.

- DJs don't get the same respect they did 5 years ago because of all the fake Best Buy turn tables, dudes will just fade into tracks with no mixing what so ever and call themselves a DJ.

- Everyone, and I'm not playing when I say this, thinks their taste in music is better than everyone else.

- Decent speakers are going to cost you around 1k-2k. Quality reflects directly to price and brand. If you are the best DJ in the world and are playing on a bunk system you are going to get no love.

- Turntables and a decent mixer will cost about 1k-1.5k, 400 a turntable and 400-1000 for a mixer. Again cheap things will break and cost more in the long run.

- If you aren't getting paid don't even waste your time, you have to have a thick skin because you are going to want to straight up hit people in the face because you aren't playing the track they want to hear. Just for example people who want to kill the dance floor, the underground hiphop guy "BRO THROW ON SOME IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE" while in the middle of spinning some house. The ugly latin chick "CAN YOU PLAY SOME RAGGEATONE PLEASE?" no I cannot play some +!%%*$% raggeatone, and ugly latin chick is usually the chick who makes it a point to constantly remind you every 5 minutes to, "PLAY SOMETHING WE CAN DANCE TO", while the whole floor is hopping. No matter how big or small the event there is never an absence of "PLAY MY SONG, EVERYONE WILL DANCE" person and when you don't they will remind you literally 20 times.

Well here's some cons, if you can over come them you might want to look into it.

- DJs don't get the same respect they did 5 years ago because of all the fake Best Buy turn tables, dudes will just fade into tracks with no mixing what so ever and call themselves a DJ.

- Everyone, and I'm not playing when I say this, thinks their taste in music is better than everyone else.

- Decent speakers are going to cost you around 1k-2k. Quality reflects directly to price and brand. If you are the best DJ in the world and are playing on a bunk system you are going to get no love.

- Turntables and a decent mixer will cost about 1k-1.5k, 400 a turntable and 400-1000 for a mixer. Again cheap things will break and cost more in the long run.

- If you aren't getting paid don't even waste your time, you have to have a thick skin because you are going to want to straight up hit people in the face because you aren't playing the track they want to hear. Just for example people who want to kill the dance floor, the underground hiphop guy "BRO THROW ON SOME IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE" while in the middle of spinning some house. The ugly latin chick "CAN YOU PLAY SOME RAGGEATONE PLEASE?" no I cannot play some +!%%*$% raggeatone, and ugly latin chick is usually the chick who makes it a point to constantly remind you every 5 minutes to, "PLAY SOMETHING WE CAN DANCE TO", while the whole floor is hopping. No matter how big or small the event there is never an absence of "PLAY MY SONG, EVERYONE WILL DANCE" person and when you don't they will remind you literally 20 times.

^^^^Totally agree with the spending thing. Do not get budget gear at first cause it will be a waste when you will eventually upgrade in the long run. If you are serious, then you have to spend serious cash. Get all the good stuff out the bat.

^^^Haha! That is what I remember. I was a bedroom DJ and was good friends with a guy that wanted to get into the scene bad. His music was all radio where as mine was all underground. We never understood each others music but I do know that knowing radio songs or any songs for that matter is essential. It's kind of embarrassing really when you don't have that one hit that could tear up the dance floor. I probabyl did one party and I totally killed the dance floor since I only had 90's hip-hop rap and people wanted to hear nothing but pop music since in the early 2000s, that was all the rage.

^^^Haha! That is what I remember. I was a bedroom DJ and was good friends with a guy that wanted to get into the scene bad. His music was all radio where as mine was all underground. We never understood each others music but I do know that knowing radio songs or any songs for that matter is essential. It's kind of embarrassing really when you don't have that one hit that could tear up the dance floor. I probabyl did one party and I totally killed the dance floor since I only had 90's hip-hop rap and people wanted to hear nothing but pop music since in the early 2000s, that was all the rage.

I use CDs cause I can't afford (or don't feel like buying) a laptop. I use cdjs because I don't scratch that much since I'm mostly mixing house and electro. One important thing I think u need is creativity with whatever equipment u use; from virtual DJ to cdj2000s. Just mixing intros and outros can get boring.

Also, make sure ur music is playable. Alot of the music that people download from music blogs and limewire are not that suitable for a big sound. System. I know people with thousands of music on their computer and only about 10% of them are playable because they are mostly rips from YouTube

I use CDs cause I can't afford (or don't feel like buying) a laptop. I use cdjs because I don't scratch that much since I'm mostly mixing house and electro. One important thing I think u need is creativity with whatever equipment u use; from virtual DJ to cdj2000s. Just mixing intros and outros can get boring.

Also, make sure ur music is playable. Alot of the music that people download from music blogs and limewire are not that suitable for a big sound. System. I know people with thousands of music on their computer and only about 10% of them are playable because they are mostly rips from YouTube

Don't forget you can always rent equipment. So if you wanted to start off doing house parties and whatnot, you can get into it by renting speakers/lights/whatever else your client wants, and it's pretty cheap too. Also some companies offer rent-to-buy programs where after so many rents you can just buy the product for cheaper. Look into that.

If you're legitimately just starting, I'd say don't hire yourself out for a good few months. Don't rush into this as a quick cash grab, take the time to hone your skills. I stayed in the bedroom for about two years and only recently started helping out one of my brother's friend's at gigs. Take the time to learn the structure of music, where and when are good places to mix into, and most importantly how to beat match. Yes, most of the programs today will calculate bpms for you, but often times your two songs will get out of sync just a bit, you need to be able to hear it and put it back in place. It was a somewhat frustrating experience for me, but if you stay commited, it will feel great in the end.

And this talk about "real dj's" using turntables and serato and this and that nonsense is exactly that, nonsense. a REAL DJ, understands his crowd, knows what songs to play, and knows how to get to them, that is the base fact. Yea scratching and juggling are great goods and stuff, but at the end of the day, if you're the only one jamming, you're doing it wrong. I hope I don't get flamed for this lol. Anyways, enjoy!

Here's a brief history of my equipment evolution?
Started with a vestax vci100 and traktor (great controller) utilizing my internal 5.1 soundcard... upgraded to traktor duo with the audio4dj... got a numark tt500 to use in conjunction with my vci-100. Looking to get another tt500, and then I think I'll be pretty content with what I have.

Don't forget you can always rent equipment. So if you wanted to start off doing house parties and whatnot, you can get into it by renting speakers/lights/whatever else your client wants, and it's pretty cheap too. Also some companies offer rent-to-buy programs where after so many rents you can just buy the product for cheaper. Look into that.

If you're legitimately just starting, I'd say don't hire yourself out for a good few months. Don't rush into this as a quick cash grab, take the time to hone your skills. I stayed in the bedroom for about two years and only recently started helping out one of my brother's friend's at gigs. Take the time to learn the structure of music, where and when are good places to mix into, and most importantly how to beat match. Yes, most of the programs today will calculate bpms for you, but often times your two songs will get out of sync just a bit, you need to be able to hear it and put it back in place. It was a somewhat frustrating experience for me, but if you stay commited, it will feel great in the end.

And this talk about "real dj's" using turntables and serato and this and that nonsense is exactly that, nonsense. a REAL DJ, understands his crowd, knows what songs to play, and knows how to get to them, that is the base fact. Yea scratching and juggling are great goods and stuff, but at the end of the day, if you're the only one jamming, you're doing it wrong. I hope I don't get flamed for this lol. Anyways, enjoy!

Here's a brief history of my equipment evolution?
Started with a vestax vci100 and traktor (great controller) utilizing my internal 5.1 soundcard... upgraded to traktor duo with the audio4dj... got a numark tt500 to use in conjunction with my vci-100. Looking to get another tt500, and then I think I'll be pretty content with what I have.

Lorizzle....

Actually that is not nonsense at all. I think back when scratch DJing was the biggest deal in the world, it created different parties that were hard to understand each other. Now a lot of scratch DJs have ditched that lime light are just normal average DJs. It is very important to know how to hone a crowd. It's not all just beat matching and having music and records. It's knowing when and how to throw it in at the right time and place. I remember back in 2000 when a friend of mine was DJing, it took little to no effort at all to throw in UB40's "Red Red Wine" after the break to absolutely make everyone go mental. It kind of made me understand that regardless of how you mix a song in with scratches or fading techniques....that all you have to do is throw the right song in at the right time to be that great DJ that killed at a club.

Lorizzle....

Actually that is not nonsense at all. I think back when scratch DJing was the biggest deal in the world, it created different parties that were hard to understand each other. Now a lot of scratch DJs have ditched that lime light are just normal average DJs. It is very important to know how to hone a crowd. It's not all just beat matching and having music and records. It's knowing when and how to throw it in at the right time and place. I remember back in 2000 when a friend of mine was DJing, it took little to no effort at all to throw in UB40's "Red Red Wine" after the break to absolutely make everyone go mental. It kind of made me understand that regardless of how you mix a song in with scratches or fading techniques....that all you have to do is throw the right song in at the right time to be that great DJ that killed at a club.

ive never accepted a single request to dj for someone or any club. i know that if i do ill stab someone in the face after being forced to play top 40 ++!+*@#* over and over. plus i really hate breaking down my gear hahaha.

ive never accepted a single request to dj for someone or any club. i know that if i do ill stab someone in the face after being forced to play top 40 ++!+*@#* over and over. plus i really hate breaking down my gear hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom