Can anyone here say they got rich off going to college?

I feel like I wasted 6 years of my life getting a masters degree. People who went into the work force after high school seem to be doing better than me (not everyone but a decent amount). I met high school dropouts who push 6 figure whips. And everyone I know who made it after going to college didnt make it from actually going.

So are there any NT success stories of someone actually getting rich from their college degree?

I eed the motivation cuz money is almost the only thing that matters and i am nowhere near where i want to be.

Last edited:
No not zero. The guy accross the street from my uncle has an entire family of high school dropouts and they do well. He even has a couple of Harley's and is the only one in the neighborhood with an in ground pool.

One of my best friends from college's dad is a really high ranking member of the military. He doesnt care for 6 figure whips but he spends a lot of money on his kids. They have far more than anyone else who have done nothing for their cash.

Last edited:
You can never tell how well off somebody is by looking at the things that they own.

I know a multimillionaire who takes the bus, and I know plenty of people who drive amazing cars that struggle to get by.

Pushing a 6 figure whip is meaningless, a lot of people just feel the need to project a successful image and are willing to ruin themselves financially in order to do so.

Plenty of people get rich after going to college, and plenty of people get rich after dropping out.

A degree isn't going to make or break you when it comes to being successful.

If you're willing to work towards something everyday, you'll get there one day regardless of your level of education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of the 250 students in my Master's program this year, I would venture to guess 175 will have 100k salary floor and closer to 160-210 all in comp coming out of school.

I think that holds well versus the population of high school dropouts.

If you're willing to work towards something everyday, you'll get there one day regardless of your level of education.
True, but it doesn't hurt to have one, especially if you don't have any connections in the field you want to work in...

You can never tell how well off somebody is by looking at the things that they own.

This guy knows. My pops is very well off alot of his friends are as well. Pops goes to the bank and he does get in line with the rest of customers. Bank manager comes out to help everytime he enters the bank. This man drive a 2002 Buick Park Avenue. His good friend drives a used Lexus 350 F sport has a billion dollar company. His other friend whom he and others call "cheap" is the heir to Shlumberger and dude drives an Accord.

Pops told me that more the material things a man has, more the broke he is.

True, but it doesn't hurt to have one,

Tell that to my friend back in NY w/ a Master's who's "over qualified" for damn near every entry level job that she applies for.

Generally what you're saying would be correct, but there are some cases where having a degree can definitely hurt you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to create and think for yourself. Ain't no diploma gonna grant you five-six 0's. You have to make that for yourself.

my uncle graduated high school and has no kids. No college at all. He used to always build anything he could back in the day when he was a pre teen. Didn't matter what it was, if it had wheels, he built it. Family was real poor at the time and the money they did have grandpa drank or stored away. So he used to go to the city dump and find bike parts and build bikes for his sisters around his age. By age 13 he had been a paperboy for three or four years and saved some money up. He wanted to buy a dirtbike but nobody would sign for it so he built one. At this same time he found a job at an auto body and a boat shop. He learned how to do everything and slowly began getting paid better. This was the same time he found an original '68 Camaro at his owner's shop and bought it for 800 (after lowering the price by buying it without the engine.)

fast forward to today, he's a crewleader for the local water company and builds engines on the side as well as working on boats, bikes, and cars. His main job is a 6 figure salary with full benefits. Side jobs are cash and his passion. He is well off and makes more than all of his three sisters combined.

His best friend (consider him an uncle as well.) is in his late 40's and just a few months ago finished high school has always brought in a good amount of money, 6 figures as well. About a year ago he left his family welding company for PG&E and is bringing home something like 160 a year.

second guy I told you about has a younger step brother who is 17 and is bringing home 200 a year basically running his fathers company.

Tell that to my friend back in NY w/ a Master's who's "over qualified" for damn near every entry level job that she applies for.

second guy I told you about has a younger step brother who is 17 and is bringing home 200 a year basically running his fathers company.

And this is why education is borderline useless. Wish I realized this before wasting 145 stacks that I dont have to graduate with Master's in "one of the highest ranked accounting schools in the nation".

Now even after I get a real job I still have to live with my aunt and uncle to clear my debt before I can even start my life. :smh:

Last edited:
Northern Illinois University. Basically has 5-6 programs that they are really known for (Nursing, Art, Accounting, and to an extent Law, Engineering, and Business (non accounting)). Otherwise they are not great. Not my first choice but it was the cheapest good school.

Last edited:

And this is why education is borderline useless. Wish I realized this before wasting 145 stacks that I dont have to graduate with Master's in "one of the highest ranked accounting schools in the nation".

Now even after I get a real job I still have to live with my aunt and uncle to clear my debt before I can even start my life. :smh:

Education isn't useless, though.

Education is really important, but in today's climate I think its better to educate yourself rather than getting an education from a school.

If there's something that you genuinely enjoy doing, or you feel like you have a knack for something in your younger years, I suggest finding a way to monetize it ASAP.

Even if that means dumping all of your time and effort into it and skipping/dropping out of school.

Most people are way smarter than they realize and they're too afraid to take action, which is a shame.

It is always funny to me when people say stuff like this because mostly it consists of: My friends dad or my dad or my grandfather.

It was a different time back then....a college degree is almost expected in this day and age at a lot of jobs.

Also: My friends dad makes 6 figures - He is also 50 years old...and has worked at the same company for 20+ years. Of course he makes decent money by now. But you don't get to 6 figures at age 25 in most places it takes time and tenure.

I know our generation (christ and im older 26 years old) is the now now now type. But give it time. When you are 40 years old and still making $60k then you might want to reevaluate things. But have a goal in mind that is actually obtainable and work towards it.

Generally what you're saying would be correct, but there are some cases where having a degree can definitely hurt you.
What's her master's in?

The problem is when you have a masters applying for a job that undergrads can get, it looks bad because from the employer point of view, they want someone they hire to stay as long as possible and the masters degree person should be able to do better so they dont want that person leaving at the first chance (not saying she will but if a BA can do the job, why hire a MA/MS when the MA/MS person will probably demand more money)

Also, if she has a masters and can't get entry level jobs, then she probably didnt have relevant experience in her field, which is more on her

Also, if she has a masters and can't get entry level jobs, then she probably didnt have relevant experience in her field, which is more on her

It's always on you, excuses are for suckers.

I was just pointing out that in some cases it does hurt.

**** College..

I have skills that I don't need a degree to prove. I used that to start my OWN business and now I'm set.

I just don't see the point of spending all that money and years just to work for someone else.. Everyone's mindset is different though.

Last edited:
You screwed up paying that much for an accounting graduate degree when you're just trying to do big 4.

They really don't care where your Masters degree is from as long as you have enough credit hours to sit for the CPA. I graduated from a much less prestigious state school & we're gonna have the exact same job & salary

2nd, since you're doing accounting with the big 4, stay until you make manager. Then stay 1 busy season as a manager, then leave for private industry. You'll be at/above 6 figures after just 5 years out of school.

Or you can try to get into advisory after a few years in audit/tax and you can get there quicker

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom