Can FUBU make a comeback?

It might not ever make a comeback..but I feel we need to pay homage to what it was and  dudes strategy to put it out there
"So for two years, we took those amazing shirts around to as many music videos as we could, placing them on different rappers and artists. It was easier to get in the videos back then, because rappers weren’t huge and they didn’t have the big budgets they have today for videos. So we would loan them a shirt for the shoot and then we would take it right back.

During those two years, our shirts were in about 30 videos, and suddenly we were perceived as this huge clothing company because we were all over the networks and  all these rappers were wearing our shirts. No one realized it was the same shirts over and over. Once the videos started coming out, stores started requesting more of our products, and we started to leverage credit cards and everything we had to keep up with demand."

Harrison: So the company was mostly financed through savings and credit cards?

John: Until the “Magic” show. In 1994, we went to “Magic,” this convention out in Las Vegas, and we came home with about $300,000 in orders from retailers. We didn’t have enough capital to make that much, so we went to the bank, because none of us knew anything about angel investors or venture capital. We got turned down by 26 banks.

So we took out a second mortgage on the house my mother and I had—because I had working since I was about 10 years old and was always contributing—and that was for about $120,000. We decided to turn the house into a factory and started manufacturing our clothes there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...280a48-4596-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Back
Top Bottom