Can I File For Unemployment???

So I'm a college student and this summer I was making 600 a week working for the city of Oakland. I had to stop working on the 21st of August. Iwasn't fired or laid off being as I'll still have my job next summer but one of the bruhs was telling me I can still file for unemployment and that hewas gonna do that.

Anybody else get unemployment checks? Im gonna try/am trying to get a job down at school but you know how that goes and having any source of income in themeantime wouldn't be bad.

PS yes I'm looking for a handout.

do it anyways... im getting it but i got laid off... whats the worst they will say... no through the internet... and it takes like 5 minutes to do

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

you are not eligible for unemployment if you voluntarily quit.
I didn't voluntarily quit, didn't have a choice as to whether I could keep working or not.

Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

I didn't voluntarily quit, didn't have a choice as to whether I could keep working or not.
Sounds like this was a summer gig so NO unemployment. You have to be employed at least 6 months I believe as well.

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Sounds like this was a summer gig so NO unemployment. You have to be employed at least 6 months I believe as well.
If this is the case than it's bad for me. Does it have to be six consecutive months?

smh.gif

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

If this is the case than it's bad for me. Does it have to be six consecutive months?

DO not file for unemployment.
They may approve you at first, only to get a bill at the end telling you to pay back everything you got.
If you didnt get fired or laid off you are pretty much not eligible.

smh.gif
There are people out there who are losing unemployment (because it expires eventually) who actually NEED it.

People always trying to get something for nothing....

Go get a job if you're worried about money.

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

smh.gif
There are people out there who are losing unemployment (because it expires eventually) who actually NEED it.

You dont know me. How are you to base the warrant of my need without knowing a damn thing about me or my situation?

I was collectin' unemployment from April '08 to uhhh......well my last check was 2 weeks ago, but I got a 4 week extension. I got laid off. I gotanother job tho, but I get to collect the rest of my money.

I don't know about you tho.

Good luck. The company I worked for went out of business and I was still denied.

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

smh.gif

You dont know me. How are you to base the warrant of my need without knowing a damn thing about me or my situation?

laugh.gif
There are people out there who lost their job and need unemployment to continue providing for their families. However, they're losing the unemploymentbecause the benefits expire after a certain point and the average duration for unemployment through this recession is longer than usual. Unemployment benefitsrun out because there are too many people claiming and too little money for everyone. People who don't NEED unemployment but claim it anyway negativelyaffect those who actually need it.

OP, you're a college student who just quit his summer job because you're going back to school (which means tuition is paid whether by financial aid,loans or mom and dad). I don't care about your family situation, unemployment is supposed to be for those who actually need it. You didn't get firedand you're a full time student (which means you're not trying to be employed full time). Unemployment benefits should be for individuals who LOST theirjobs, not something you run to because you don't want a part time job during the semester

Back
Top Bottom