Can I move out on my own with 1600-1800 a month income?

In NYC, it is common to need over $4,000 just to move into an apartment (first months rent, last months, security deposit, broker's fees, costs of setting up your apt, etc). Save up while you have the opportunity. Roommates are risky, they may not pay rent on time or be total nutjobs. I make about $2900 after taxes and work-related deductions and I'm still living at home to save money.

And yes, many landlords in NYC want you to make 40x rent and provide bank statements, tax returns, etc just to rent a rat infested studio the size of a jail cell. Section 8 and rent controlled apartments, in addition to the large number of people who defect to NYC to "make it big", drive up the rents. The rule of not spending over 30% of your income for an apartment doesn't apply here.

Don't forget the costs of furniture to fit out your apartment.

Fridge
Washer/dryer
Tables
Chairs
TV Units
Storage units

Then you need basic stuff as well
Glassware
Cutlery
Plates/bowls
Towels
Sheets
Tea towels

Stuff adds up quick

yo yo yo-yo ive read maybe a reply here or there.....,what ya need to do is save so in case work falls thru ur covered for a few months in rent or can just about pay until ur lease is up

think as many steps ahed a time as possible

also, yo....i say u do this move. dont be discouraged by anything. if u have goals make sure u make them reasonable yet lofty. the reason is found w/in ur own inner strength, ur determination for a better aituation, ur will.

even if u 'fail' believe me, u have not failed. ur experience will only strwngthen u and leave u several steps ahead of whrerw u are now (during ur burgeoning youth)

pick a suburb outside of nyc tho. the cost of living is cray from what i heard and the hustle of living on ur own will prepare u for nyc prices/demands.

but like i said, if nyc's ur goal..,.dont let ne1 discourage u

Don't forget the costs of furniture to fit out your apartment.
Fridge
Washer/dryer
Tables
Chairs
TV Units
Storage units
Then you need basic stuff as well
Glassware
Cutlery
Plates/bowls
Towels
Sheets
Tea towels
Stuff adds up quick

Those things come with time...when me and my girl first moved out all we had was a flat screen and a bed....

I wouldn't trade my independence for anything, although I considered selling my spot, moving back to my inlaws for about a year just to save and buy a condo, but i told them if I do that I'll pay their rent, it's only like 300$ :lol:

No way in hell can I be that dude making over 100k and leeching of someone who doesn't make a third what I make :rofl:

You clearly misread what I wrote. I said a car payment. Dude could have gotten something cheap and paid for.

I would save up alittle more and then move out. You have to remember that there will ALWAYS be extra expenses that you wouldn't have expected.

just save man, you seem pretty young like myself, Im 23 fresh out of school with a job living at home. Goal is to save up to 7500 then leave so I can move out comfortably and have a cushion for a few months. But like yourself I am paying a car note plus student loans so it takes time, dont put yourself in a situation you will not be able to handle 100%.

Yea everybody is so quick to move out and stuggle. My parents aren't pressuring me and plus they have a ~3k sq ft house with 4BRs. The main thing is I respect their house which is where a lot of people fall short. I'm not eating all the food in the kitchen, having random JOs over, detectives knocking on the door so i'm fine being at home and able to save. I don't want a roommate when I leave the nest. I make bout 52k right now which ain't nothing up here and will consider moving this summer when I get to 64k but honestly I don't thik imma take the plunge. Btw just turned 25 :nerd: *flame suit ready*

Yea everybody is so quick to move out and stuggle. My parents aren't pressuring me and plus they have a ~3k sq ft house with 4BRs. The main thing is I respect their house which is where a lot of people fall short. I'm not eating all the food in the kitchen, having random JOs over, detectives knocking on the door so i'm fine being at home and able to save. I don't want a roommate when I leave the nest. I make bout 52k right now which ain't nothing up here and will consider moving this summer when I get to 64k but honestly I don't thik imma take the plunge. Btw just turned 25 :nerd: *flame suit ready*

Nah you doing the right way, keep stackin. Im 23 almost done grad school I work and I'm saving as much as I can. I plan on stacking for a year or two when I get into my career, and then have enough money put up to move out and not struggle. Im not going to move out just to struggle to if worst case scenario ask my folks to move back in. That would be a waste of time and money.

I hope you're saving every penny because when you do decide to leave, you will be well off.
A nice down payment on a house/condo. :smokin

Wish I would have stayed longer at my parents, but the pressure from the gf to shack up and get married was wearing down :lol:

Good luck, you sound like you got your head on straight.

Last edited:
Nah you doing the right way, keep stackin. Im 23 almost done grad school I work and I'm saving as much as I can. I plan on stacking for a year or two when I get into my career, and then have enough money put up to move out and not struggle. Im not going to move out just to struggle to if worst case scenario ask my folks to move back in. That would be a waste of time and money.
Respect both of yall, lets me know I'm not the only one out here doing it. Of course it would be nice to move out and live on my own, but like you said don't make no sense to move out and struggle and end right back where you initially started. I've been debating getting my MBA and keeping my full-time gig to be on the super grind, I need a higher salary, only nice part about living in major cities is the $$$$ everything else tho <<<

im about in the same bout as you. 25 and still living at home.

For you guys that are living at home and working, are you contributing to the bills/food?

its definitely doable but you will have to make a lot of sacrifices

ur phone bill is way too high, get something cheaper like the $30 tmobile plan
and no cable, its an unnecessary luxury and everything is online these days.
no drinking/eating out
u live in nyc, you dont need a car, the mta got you
if you have stuff that has value but are not necessary, sell them.
penny pinch everything

and lastly dont do this because you want to impress people, who cares about what people think
do it because you really value the freedom and want to learn from the experience

I wouldn't do it. They say your rent should not be more than ~30% of your gross income but my rule is ~25% of the net at the most. Over 50% of net (I presume) is ridiculous.

Continue to save money in case of emergencies and the unexpected. But you need an apartment where you can pay rent for 5-750ish...have you considered roommates?

You guys are acting as if everyone has the option to stay with their parents and work at the same time.
I'm from upstate NY but the best job I was offered was in DC.

I'm sure that would be the exception, but it would have to be worth it.

For you guys that are living at home and working, are you contributing to the bills/food?
I try to but they each make a good amount of money so they won't accept any from me. So i'll cut the grass and just lace them with nice gifts on ocassions :lol:.

Even tho I'm 26, I'm not really in a rush to move back out my moms crib. I did it already for 3 years when I lived in Baltimore but I could never really save any money because I always had a bill to pay.
I was so worried about showing everyone I could make it on my own, I left the state to prove them wrong when I was 18 :smh: . Now that I'm back home and working, stackin bred has become alot more fruitful.

Plus the cost of living in NJ is just as bad as NY if you don't want to live in the hood or on government assistance. Don't get me wrong I love the hood, lived here all my life minus the BMore years, but there's no way I'm contributing my hard earned money to a boarded up row house in my 3rd world city and get peanuts in return!

Have I saved up enough to move out and get something decent? Absolutely, even though enough is never enough, but I don't have a bad relationship with my moms so that plays a major part in why I don't feel the need to rush back out and get my own again. She works evenings and I work mornings so we really never run into each other and I can blow the LOUD in da crib with no worries so that's a plus :smokin.
All she asks is that I pay all my personal bills on time (car, phone, student loans, etc), contribute to the household (clean up, take out the trash, help with groceries/rent), and in her words "do not bring any bum *** females in her house." :lol: I can live with that arrangement.

OP, do what's best for you and dont let your pride write you a check you cant cash, trust me. Just make sure you have some "raniny day" money stacked up before you get out here on these streets, its a cold world out here if your not financially prepared.

I wouldn't do it. They say your rent should not be more than ~30% of your gross income but my rule is ~25% of the net at the most. Over 50% of net (I presume) is ridiculous.

yep, it should be a weeks pay, props to How to make it in America.

man please I moved out when i was 18 and heck I was living off $1200 a month. Rent was around $500. it all depends if you want to live or ball...Sometimes i was living off $900 a month. Just got to cut down your expenses till you save up and get more money

Back
Top Bottom