Can JB help me restore my cracked 89 OG IVs? Sad to see it go like this....

Its very unfortunate, but my OG iv cements have cracked along the midsole....stored it in a cool dry place and now they have begun showing fissures...
frown.gif

Is there a way JB, or a way to restore this to its former glory?  the cracking is not that bad, but i am afraid of further degredation.  

PS:  the quality of this pair is TOP NOTCH.  after 23 years, no yellowing on the webbing 
eek.gif

will post pics in a bit. Really sad to see it end like this and no, i dont want a midsole swap although i know its a better option. I want to retain its OG'ness but need input. I know people have restored stuff like this in the past, just couldnt remember how and with what material.

Given that, however, maybe i should just sell it as it is instead of messing with it...

Im pretty sure it's AIR technology. Our best friend and worst enemy. It happens because over time the pressure gets messed up in the AIR pocket. Air will naturally try and make the pressure even on both inside and outside the air pocket. Sorry to say this guys but the shoe isnt built to last decades. You have to take real good care of yours to make it last even one decade.

In fact (correct me if im wrong cuz it is just a theory of mine) it wouldve lasted longer if you eventually hollowed out the AIRs (just a theory, as then the air pressure would not have to stabilize.)

Seen pics of re-painted Militaries, don't see why it wouldn't be possible on these. 
nerd.gif

The hard part is getting it done clean and finding the right paints, materials, time, etc.

Has anyone actually completed a sole swap on 4's? those restor your sneakers guys have taken more than a year i think with not much progress

swapped my 99s a while back. time consuming and a pain but to make ogs and older retros wearable again its worth the effort

mine 99 retro crumbled beyond repair
frown.gif

But i will keep them along my new 2012 pairs.
Now i have both tags and the retro card.
I was quite surprised that the 2012 marks
came with the classic black plastic tissue
which was abandoned in late 1997.

^^ Those 99s are too nice!! Lookin good! I think its only a matter of time before JB release atleast ONE pair of nike air retros. Thanks for the pics

Originally Posted by jumpman cbt2

mine 99 retro crumbled beyond repair
frown.gif

But i will keep them along my new 2012 pairs.
Now i have both tags and the retro card.
I was quite surprised that the 2012 marks
came with the classic black plastic tissue
which was abandoned in late 1997.

As long as you have the og outsole and upper, it would actually be easier to do the more crumbled they are. The hardest part is removing the excess old foam from the upper.

Man that's gonna be tough with the foam. It's not like just pulling off a sole swap.

Back
Top Bottom