Can somebody PLEASE explain the Google Chromecast, and Roku, ect to me? PLEASE

WTH is Plex?

http://www.plexapp.com/

In short, you install Plex Media Server onto your computer where your files are located. You then can stream those files from that computer to the Plex app which you can install on a Roku, PS3, XBOX, to your phone, to Apple TVs (through a workaround that I've personally used). That's basically it. It's an easy to install and use interface for media streaming.

It's free for the server and to install it on your streaming devices, and the Android app cost money but I bought it on sale a little while ago.

Last edited:
So what would be the advantage of using this instead of running a hdmi cable from your computer to the television? Aside from it being wireless?

I just grabbed a Chromecast, then ended up grabbing a smart tv that I caught on sale.  The chromecast is getting returned tomorrow

So what would be the advantage of using this instead of running a hdmi cable from your computer to the television? Aside from it being wireless?

Using your phone in addition to your computer.

...Not a whole lot else. :rofl:

You can control Chromecast from your phone and still use your phone 100‰..Same as from the computer. Cast Netflix from one tab and keep surfing as usual.

man I just downloaded Plex onto my smartTV, and in trying to use it from my Mac....this **** is DIFFICULT.  Its a pain in the *** lol, seriously.  I'm pretty damn computer literate, but this isn't making much sense to me

ohwell.gif

Reggiekiller - - I don't use it with a Mac but all u do is drop the movies in to the folder refrsh On ur plex server and ur done it truly does everything for you..

What r you having difficulties with?

Make sure you downloaded Plex Media Server to your computer. And google your problems because Plex does have forums for support and help.

It should be as simple as... you download the Media Server to your computer, tell it where to look for your files, make sure you see it on your computer under Plex's Media Manager, then so long as your Smart TV recognizes the Server, it should work. I haven't tried it on a Smart TV but I have used it on the Apple TV, PS3, and my Android phone, plus streaming it to another computer and it's been smooth (other than the Apple TV which requires a lot more effort for obvious reasons). For the Apple TV 2nd Gen, you have to use something called "Plex Connect" which is a workaround that uses the Trailers app on the Apple TV to allow you to stream Plex. It's a bit more work but it's great once it's up and running.

Last edited:
http://www.plexapp.com/

In short, you install Plex Media Server onto your computer where your files are located. You then can stream those files from that computer to the Plex app which you can install on a Roku, PS3, XBOX, to your phone, to Apple TVs (through a workaround that I've personally used). That's basically it. It's an easy to install and use interface for media streaming.

It's free for the server and to install it on your streaming devices, and the Android app cost money but I bought it on sale a little while ago.
I use ps3 media server. You stream from computer to xbox ps3 or whatever

I just grabbed a Chromecast, then ended up grabbing a smart tv that I caught on sale.  The chromecast is getting returned tomorrow

I would suggest keeping the chromecast. It's only $35 and they are adding more and more to it. HBO Go was just added. Developers have apps for it, but they haven't gotten approved yet.

Quick question for anyone with an iPad or iPhone:

Has anyone been able to connect to their chromecast using Songza (the app)? I've updates everything and all other apps work but Songza doesn't even have the option to cast to the TV. In specifically using the iPad app. iPhone app works fine with the cast in the upper right but nothing shows up on the iPad.

its wireless. it's just like asking why would someone get Bluetooth headphones when you can just have a cord attached. it offers more freedom, but at a price.

To me, the advantage now of using a cord is being able to extend the display and use the computer while something else is streaming on the TV.

So basically I got the chromecast because I read about being able to mirror your chrome browser to your TV. The only thing is there is no sound, low quality, and very laggy. 
frown.gif
 Do you guys know of any devices that allow you to mirror your computer(macbook) to your TV wirelessly?

So basically I got the chromecast because I read about being able to mirror your chrome browser to your TV. The only thing is there is no sound, low quality, and very laggy. :frown:  Do you guys know of any devices that allow you to mirror your computer(macbook) to your TV wirelessly?

Apple TV.

Back
Top Bottom