Can someone give a good reason why weed should NOT be legalized?

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

Originally Posted by Sleaze Jar Omens

laugh.gif

No for this one I am being serious, what you do effects others. 
growing should remain illegal because someones juvenile delinquent could trespass and steal from me?
Yup, I cant control what my child does everyday, but I can control how easily they can access things I do not want them to use. 
Here comes another problem, people like me asking you to stop growing or move out the neighborhood.
So because your child is a trespassing thief I shouldn't grow what the **%% I want to grow on my own property? Then you got the nerve to tell me to stop or move?
laugh.gif
I'd immediately call the cops to arrest your kid or you (if your child's not old enough).

This is such a weak argument. Kids trespassing is the neighbors fault? What if the kid breaks in my house, drinks my liquor and uses my gun, that's my fault too?
indifferent.gif

Matter of fact you won't even have to worry about your child smoking my own bud from my backyard. My "domesticated" guard wolf is gonna just bite out his throat.

aww weed heads crying again and not doing nothing about it, but screaming go ron paul awww

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

So because your child is a trespassing thief I shouldn't grow what the **%% I want to grow on my own property? Then you got the nerve to tell me to stop or move?
laugh.gif
I'd immediately call the cops to arrest your kid or you (if your child's not old enough).

This is such a weak argument. Kids trespassing is the neighbors fault? What if the kid breaks in my house, drinks my liquor and uses my gun, that's my fault too?
indifferent.gif

Matter of fact you won't even have to worry about your child smoking my own bud from my backyard. My "domesticated" guard wolf is gonna just bite out his throat.

I dont like your tone,
as I said grow that stuff in your house where my kid cant get to it.
Do as you please but remember me and the neighbor watch will make your life miserable

Spoiler [+]
 Ive been told gulden is tender

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

I dont like your tone,
as I said grow that stuff in your house where my kid cant get to it.
Do as you please but remember me and the neighbor watch will make your life miserable

Spoiler [+]
 Ive been told gulden is tender

This neighborhood has gone to hell.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Cause if you make weed legal, then people want crack and cocaine legal. People want all or nothing, and still wouldn't be satisfied with either.

Why, because they're both drugs? That's possibly the dumbest conclusion I've ever read
laugh.gif

So everybody that smokes weed or wants it legalized is also a cokehead or thinks cocaine should be legal? Or once weed is legalized, that won't be good enough and people will move on to wanting to do crack? Alcohol is just as much of a drug with more severe effects than weed, and it's ingrained in the culture. And yet somehow I don't see too many people out there wanting cocaine legalized. 

On that "IT'S A DANGEROUS GATEWAY DRUG" logic
laugh.gif

Actually that's just a general conclusion. People are never satisfied once you let them get what they want. I wasn't lumping weed smokers with cocaine/crack users, it's 
just a logical conclusion that if you legalize weed, than cocaine/crack users will wants their "rights" to use their drug of choice too. If you can't wrap your mind around that, 

I can't help you. It's really not hard to get.

@Sleaze Jar: That article actually makes sense, I'm just not sure how that would go over in the US compared to other countries.

I know that human nature is to ask for a mile when they give you an inch, but I really don't foresee a groundswell of support for legalization of cocaine man
laugh.gif
You gotta give people more credit than that. At a certain point, while some people don't know when to stop having a good time and take care of their responsibilities, most out there realize that there a few more reasons other than illegality why it's a bad idea to use cocaine or harder drugs. Hell, even alcohol is a more dangerous drug than weed as far as people using it in excess and becoming addicted. Those other drugs can ruin people's lives and pose health risks; weed doesn't. That's why those other drugs aren't used by as many people. 
For evidence of that, look at the article about Portugal's decriminalization of all drugs that dude posted in this thread. They even went so far as decriminalizing ALL drugs and usage rates did not explode at all. I severely doubt that decriminalizing/legalizing just WEED in the US would lead to any modicum of support for legalizing cocaine or that it would cause any sort of increase in usage of harder drugs. Even most people I know that smoke weed couldn't care less if cocaine were legalized  because they have no interest in using it and realize its risks. You really think if weed gets legalized that there's gonna be people out there going "Well what about MY rights as a crackhead? Why can't we legalize cocaine?" And the collective society that just came fresh off of demonizing marijuana for the last century and finally relented enough to legalize something as benign as weed is going to agree with that guy and say. "You know what, you've got a point! Cocaine's not so bad; we're on a roll here we might as well legalize cocaine too!"

Doesn't sound like much of a logical conclusion to me.

5am6oody72 wrote:

I know that human nature is to ask for a mile when they give you an inch, but I really don't foresee a groundswell of support for legalization of cocaine man
laugh.gif
You gotta give people more credit than that. At a certain point, while some people don't know when to stop having a good time and take care of their responsibilities, most out there realize that there a few more reasons other than illegality why it's a bad idea to use cocaine or harder drugs. Hell, even alcohol is a more dangerous drug than weed as far as people using it in excess and becoming addicted. Those other drugs can ruin people's lives and pose health risks; weed doesn't. That's why those other drugs aren't used by as many people. 
For evidence of that, look at the article about Portugal's decriminalization of all drugs that dude posted in this thread. They even went so far as decriminalizing ALL drugs and usage rates did not explode at all. I severely doubt that decriminalizing/legalizing just WEED in the US would lead to any modicum of support for legalizing cocaine or that it would cause any sort of increase in usage of harder drugs. Even most people I know that smoke weed couldn't care less if cocaine were legalized  because they have no interest in using it and realize its risks. You really think if weed gets legalized that there's gonna be people out there going "Well what about MY rights as a crackhead? Why can't we legalize cocaine?" And the collective society that just came fresh off of demonizing marijuana for the last century and finally relented enough to legalize something as benign as weed is going to agree with that guy and say. "You know what, you've got a point! Cocaine's not so bad; we're on a roll here we might as well legalize cocaine too!"

1) We both already agreed that the weed users have nothing to do with cocaine/crack users.
2) People had that same thought/outcry long ago about alcohol...and now you're fully able to buy alcohol whenever barring age, etc. 

As dangerous as cocaine/crack usage is, alcohol was viewed the same way at one point. I would like to give people more credit than

for something like that to actually happen, but the minute you don't...that's when somehow some like like that gets passed, regardless

out how many people may or my not use those hard drugs. 

3) Does weed actually not ruin lives and pose health risks? (real question)

Originally Posted by BronLe

- Less non-violent offenders in prisons

- Frees up police force for real threats
Who will enforce the new laws, regulations, and restrictions on the production of legal marijuana?
Who will investigate those individuals who refuse to report and pay the required tax per ounce?
Will the FDA regulate the THC, if so, who will enforce it?
Who will go after the stronger, black-market product?
What'll happen to those who break these new laws and regulations?

I wake up every day wondering how can marijuana, something that no one has ever straight up died from, be illegal, yet alcohol and tobacco, which kills millions every year, just by lung cancer and alcohol poisoning, not counting drunk driver deaths, are legal.
The legalization of any unhealthy activity DOES NOT obligate the legalization of every single thing that's less lethal than that.
The "It kills fewer people than alcohol and tobacco." can apply to anything.
You could pass a law that let middle-schoolers carry concealed weapons to school, and it would kill less people than drunk driving.

laugh.gif

1) We both already agreed that the weed users have nothing to do with cocaine/crack users.
2) People had that same thought/outcry long ago about alcohol...and now you're fully able to buy alcohol whenever barring age, etc. 

As dangerous as cocaine/crack usage is, alcohol was viewed the same way at one point. I would like to give people more credit than

for something like that to actually happen, but the minute you don't...that's when somehow some like like that gets passed, regardless

out how many people may or my not use those hard drugs. 

3) Does weed actually not ruin lives and pose health risks? (real question)
I'll venture to say a big chunk of the lives ruined by marijuana are due to it's illegality and have little to do with the effects of the actual plant.

http://www.rawstory.com/r...rugs-is-a-war-on-people/

http://www.drugsense.org/cms/wodclock

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/...panel-says/#.Ty40MF3jEnQ

I'll say it again, education is what we need.

Even as an advocate for medical use and personal use, I have to say Je Ne Sais Quoi brings up excellent points. I like seeing both sides of the argument for and against reform from my peers.

Question to those opposed to legalization/decriminalization: even with your stance, do you feel that our laws on marijuana should be reformed?

I feel like it's a waste of money arresting, prosecuting, and imprisoning individuals in possession of a reasonably small amount of marijuana for personal use with absolutely no intent to sell.

First weed is addicting,second if its legalized nobodies gonna buy it cuz its too easy to grow yourself,third is if drug dealers cant sell weed youll see more coke and crack dealers, I could give you a thousand reasons why it should and shouldnt be but who cares,it being illegal hasnt ever stopped me or you.

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Baked drivers. No thanks

This, there is no accurate way to test the "highness" of a weed smoker who is driving.

Good points but im not trying to politically say it shouldnt be legal but more morally that it shouldnt be if thats a word,Ive seen people waste there whole paycheck on it,lose weight cuz theyd rather buy a sack then food,ive seen it smoked in front of children,one of my bestfriends is 26 and hasnt ever had a real job and now has twin boys that he needs to care for but he has no work history because he could never stay clean long enough to pass a drug test,its sad,if it was legal how would you feel if your child went to his friends and his parents smoked in front of them,too many irresponsible people would become abusers instead of casual users.From my POV I can understand why its illegal but I do feel like it can be legal with restrictions that would probably still be punishable if broken so will we ever really win.

Nope.

And I don't it would put drug dealers out of business, maybe they can keep on selling it, but from legitimate source. This might even benefit them, because they'll have an income and won't have to pursue illegal activities.

Originally Posted by shoefreek23

Good points but im not trying to politically say it shouldnt be legal but more morally that it shouldnt be if thats a word,Ive seen people waste there whole paycheck on it,lose weight cuz theyd rather buy a sack then food,ive seen it smoked in front of children,one of my bestfriends is 26 and hasnt ever had a real job and now has twin boys that he needs to care for but he has no work history because he could never stay clean long enough to pass a drug test,its sad,if it was legal how would you feel if your child went to his friends and his parents smoked in front of them,too many irresponsible people would become abusers instead of casual users.From my POV I can understand why its illegal but I do feel like it can be legal with restrictions that would probably still be punishable if broken so will we ever really win.

You can substitute any illegal drug or alcohol and it would have the same if not worse ramifications on your personal life.

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Originally Posted by CJ003

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Baked drivers. No thanks

This, there is no accurate way to test the "highness" of a weed smoker who is driving.

Actually there is, it's called the field sobriety test 
eyes.gif

It shouldn't be illegal because people may DUI. 

Prescription meds make people drowsy (and some them take to get high), but hey, that warning on the label makes it all good right..?

I can't pass a field sobriety test when I'm sober. I've had to take three in my life when completely free of liquor. then I took the breathalyzer and was let go, w/o consequence. W/o a breathalyzer I would have 3 DUI's. Plus what about people who are handicapped? Can they pass a field sobriety test? So what do we do w/ them?

And I hear the argument that we can't test for prescription drugs either, that is a problem as well. The difference is they are prescribed. We are talking about making weed legal in the sense I can go to the grocery store and buy a pack of joints.

If there was a way to SCIENTIFICALLY test drivers I'm all for the legalization. I don't know about yall but I dont want a cop to determine how sober I am based on some stupid field test in the middle of the night. These cops have an interest in handing out DUI's, you think they dont get a pat on the back at work? I dont trust them at all.

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

- Less non-violent offenders in prisons

- Frees up police force for real threats
Who will enforce the new laws, regulations, and restrictions on the production of legal marijuana?
Who will investigate those individuals who refuse to report and pay the required tax per ounce?
Will the FDA regulate the THC, if so, who will enforce it?
Who will go after the stronger, black-market product?
What'll happen to those who break these new laws and regulations?

I wake up every day wondering how can marijuana, something that no one has ever straight up died from, be illegal, yet alcohol and tobacco, which kills millions every year, just by lung cancer and alcohol poisoning, not counting drunk driver deaths, are legal.
The legalization of any unhealthy activity DOES NOT obligate the legalization of every single thing that's less lethal than that.
The "It kills fewer people than alcohol and tobacco." can apply to anything.
You could pass a law that let middle-schoolers carry concealed weapons to school, and it would kill less people than drunk driving.
It never should of been made illegal in the first place though. So now that we know it's not harmful, we're keeping it illegal because we cant regulate it? 
grin.gif
LOLWUT?
grin.gif

Where did I say that it can't be regulated?
OP made the above statements, and I countered.
Nowhere did I say it can't be regulated; I said that there will still be a need for police enforcement and that there will still be non-violent offenders in prison.

Back
Top Bottom