Can we at least all agree that religion should not mix with politics?

Look at this stupid law and how it affects people just trying to live their life. I feel sorry for people who live in these kinds of AMERICAN towns where you also can't buy a beer on a Sunday because someone decided to impose their religious values onto you. So heated fam.
A Georgia woman is suing her city over an ordinance that bans her from buying sex toys.

The 2009 Sandy Springs ordinance prohibits the selling of sexual devices unless the customers have a bona fide medical, scientific, educational, legislative, judicial or law enforcement purpose.

But Melissa Davenport, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, says the toys saved her marriage of 24 years after the disease destroyed her sex life, Atlanta's WSB reports.

MS attacks the central nervous system — where sexual arousal begins, the lawsuit explains.

"Sexual response, including arousal and orgasm, can be directly affected" by MS, the lawsuit says.

By 2003, the couple's sex life was nonexistent.

"It had started to really tear us apart," Davenport, 44, told the TV station. "The nerve pathways interfered with the nerves going to my intimate area to where I had no feeling."

Still, no doctor will prescribe them to her, she says.

"They have this dirty mind about how people are going to use it," Davenport says. "People really do need devices because they need it for health reasons and to have a healthy intimate life with their spouse."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ga-woman-sues-city-law-banning-sex-toys-article-1.1794549#

As long as middle America is religious, politics will have religious undertones.

Won't change until the demographics of people with money change (is: move from rich old conservative folks)

I read the post, didn't click the link but......... what does religion have to do with anything.

Looks like another dumb law.

[h1]Satanic Temple Presses on with Baphomet Statue Despite Oklahoma Permit Halt[/h1]
May 2, 2014 14:13 GMT

A group of satanists will go ahead with plans to erect a statue dedicated to the devil outside the Oklahoma statehouse, despite the building permit being suspended in a row over religious freedom.

New York-based Satanic Temple members said they would press on with plans for their 7ft bronze and stone sculpture of Baphomet (Satan in his Goat-headed representation) outside the Oklahoma State Capitol building.

Permits for all new monuments have been suspended by the state authorities following a legal squabble over the display of religious artworks on government property but Satanic Temple is undeterred.

The New York sculptor's monument depicts Baphomet sitting beneath a pentagram with two children - a boy and a girl - who stand at its sides, gazing up in admiration.

The sculpture was commissioned to counter a monument of the Ten Commandments that was installed outside the Oklahoma Capitol building in 2012.

"They said they wanted to be open to different monuments and this seems like a perfect place to put that to the test," Lucien Greaves, a Temple spokesman said.

The Ten Commandments sculpture was donated to the Oklahoma government by politician Mike Rietz, a Southern Baptist deacon, who paid for it with his own money.

The Temple argued that the US Constitution banned states from endorsing a particular religion. Satanists should have equal rights, members insisted.

"Not only would a Satanic monument send a clear and distinct message that America respects plurality, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, but it would also stand as a historical marker, commemorating scapegoats, the marginalised and the demonised minority, the unjustly outcast," Greaves told the local Kfor news channel.

The Temple filed a formal application for the Baphomet's monument with Oklahoma authorities and launched an online campaign  to fund the project. It went viral and raised almost $30,000 (£17,500).

A first photo of the unfinished seven-feet-tall artwork was released by the group in April. New pictures have been published in Vice.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) backed the Satanists and filed a lawsuit demanding  that the Ten Commandments monument be removed.

"When the government literally puts one faith on a pedestal, it sends a strong message to Oklahomans of other faiths that they are less than equal," Ryan Kiesel, ACLU of Oklahoma's executive director, said.

The lawsuit resulted in the Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission halting the issuing of all permits for new monuments pending a decision on the case.

The Temple claimed the suspension should not apply to their Baphomet, as the application was submitted before the lawsuit.

"After all the Ten Commandments still stand at the State Capitol," Greaves told Vice.

"We are fully willing to place our monument at the Capitol, even while the ACLU suit is fought, with the understanding that a judgment against the Ten Commandments will have ramifications for our monument as well, likely resulting in the removal of both."

Greaves said that if the statue were removed they will look for an alternative location.

"There is no shortage of public locations across the US where religious monuments await a contrasting voice," he said.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/satanic-temple-presses-baphomet-statue-despite-oklahoma-permit-halt-1447055

WRONG. The gun is

Incorrect.

Personal firearms are responsible for a creating a higher quality of life and a more equal distribution of wealth. Prior to firearms we lived in monarchist societies where the rich ruled over peasants absolutely because the poor had no means of defense or revolt.

Firearms have also created an overall more civilized society. Inexpensive personal firearms balanced the playing field allowing the weak to defend themselves from the strong and the strong to defend themselves from large numbers of the weak.

"Abraham Lincoln may have freed all men, but Samuel Colt made them equal."

Incorrect.

Personal firearms are responsible for a creating a higher quality of life and a more equal distribution of wealth. Prior to firearms we lived in monarchist societies where the rich ruled over peasants absolutely because the poor had no means of defense or revolt.

Firearms have also created an overall more civilized society. Inexpensive personal firearms balanced the playing field allowing the weak to defend themselves from the strong and the strong to defend themselves from large numbers of the weak.

I don't kknow bro.

Those laws were created years ago... When cats was rolling out da musket.

Australia has a ban on guns.

Australia has the lowest amount of gun related deaths by far.

Yeah, some people will have guns... But they do more harm than good in today's society.

My opinion.

Incorrect.

I don't kknow bro.

Those laws were created years ago... When cats was rolling out da musket.

Australia has a ban on guns.

Australia has the lowest amount of gun related deaths by far.

Yeah, some people will have guns... But they do more harm than good in today's society.

My opinion.

Australia has always had a low amount of gun deaths. Their rate of gun related violence has actually gone UP since their weapons ban. There has been a spike in Armed robberies, Assaults with Guns, Gun murders and Home invasions. Arms bans do nothing to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals... all they do is leave those who abide by the law defenseless.

http://www.examiner.com/article/increased-gun-control-lead-to-increased-gun-violence-australia

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323777204578195470446855466

Australia has always had a low amount of gun deaths. Their rate of gun related violence has actually gone UP since their weapons ban. There has been a spike in Armed robberies, Assaults with Guns, Gun murders and Home invasions. Arms bans do nothing to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals... all they do is leave those who abide by the law defenseless.

http://www.examiner.com/article/increased-gun-control-lead-to-increased-gun-violence-australia

tumblr_m3qcqlkXa51qj47y6.gif

Well I'll be dambed .

Guess you're right.

Repped

^ Critical reading and critical thinking are skills that need to be taught in american schools.

I'm not saying that their argument doesn't hold weight. Its just poorly presented.

Yes, Australia's gun violence has gone up since the ban, but the ban was in the late 90s.  Their population has also gone up dramatically in the last 16-17 years. 

Without stats that accurately show the incidence of gun violence per capita, or per 10,000 or 100,000 people before and after their claim means nothing.

I have always felt that Religion and Politics are both man made cancers. In combination they will lead to our eventual extinction.

Now this is just ridiculous. I'm doubtful that you even know what politics is. Without that art, humanity would be still be hunters and gatherers.

I have always felt that Religion and Politics are both man made cancers. In combination they will lead to our eventual extinction.

With or without religion our extinction is due to the process of nature not man.

And politics is a necessary evil. Could you imagine a world without law?

A similar situation happened in the UK. After their gun ban, regular crime and violent crime soared.

People political views are based on their morals. A lot of people's morals are based on their religious beliefs. What gives your non-religious beliefs any more credibility than someone's religious beliefs?

I get that some religious beliefs adversely effect others, but some of these liberal non-religious beliefs adversely affect the religious...cats can't pray in school? How fair is that? Smoking bans in bars? Gun control? Abortion?

Everyone bases their politics on their personal beliefs, some justifications are bad on both sides, but most are equally legitimate, whether it comes from religion or somewhere else. The religious get there *** out and vote, that's what others need to do, but it's hard because religious folks generally agree with each other, whereas everyone else is all over the place.

Last edited:
Now this is just ridiculous. I'm doubtful that you even know what politics is. Without that art, humanity would be still be hunters and gatherers.
Politics by definition is organized control over a human community. I am all for organization as a community for humanity; it's the corruption that is rooted in control and power that I take issue with. We have reached a point where our own planet is becoming inhabitable for future generations because Politicians would rather line their pockets. Politicians are the individuals who engage in Politics day to day; if you think they aren't the cancer of humanity then I really don't know what to say to you.

People political views are based on their morals. A lot of people's morals are based on their religious beliefs. What gives your non-religious beliefs any more credibility than someone's religious beliefs?
There are certain religious beliefs that are baseless and serve no one else other than the religious. For example, there are constant efforts coming from the religious that try to force the teaching of young earth creation in public education. 
I get that some religious beliefs adversely effect others, but some of these liberal non-religious beliefs adversely affect the religious...cats can't pray in school? How fair is that? Smoking bans in bars? Gun control? Abortion?
How do these views adversely  affect anyone? Can't you pray in your mind? Can't you smoke outside? 

Can't gay kids just be gay in their head? They don't have to talk with a lisp or whatever.  If I don't have the right to openly express my religious beliefs than why should someone be allowed to openly express their political, gender, philosophical beliefs? First Amendment baby!

Smoking in bars was voted for by 18 year olds who don't have a right to be in their bars. It's a restraint on business. It's different than, say dumping toxins into a river, one effects only those who come in to your bar, the other affects those outside of your bar. The free market should decide whether or not people are allowed to smoke in bars, I know bar owners that lost customers because of the smoking ban, or have gotten fined out the ***, so there is a def. adverse effect. Ninth Amendment baby!

While there are some "baseless" beliefs in religion, there are other beliefs that the religious hold that have a pretty strong base, you just don't agree with them. For instance, the belief that a male ought to be the head of the household, there are feminist dudes that completely disagree with that, but at the sametime, there is a pretty damn good reasons for it, from social-physical-emotional etc.

I don't think teaching creationism in schools is necessarily a bad thing, honestly I prefer my children to learn both, it doesn't hurt to teach different world views, no one knows who's right, no matter how deep you get into it. Who put the first atom here? Who made God? I don't know, but I wouldn't be opposed to a school teaching both to kids.

Then what about abortion? I"m somehow dumb because I think killing a fetus is killing a future child? But thats moutha******* science...but not the science you like so it's somehow inferior.

Both sides are ********; rigidly holding on to their personal beliefs masking them in data, when in reality 90% of things is all about how you were raised to interprete the data.  It's all personal, just different ads.

Last edited:
Just imagine how far civilization would have advanced intellectually and technology wise if there were no "god and his people" holding man back...

Just imagine how far civilization would have advanced intellectually and technology wise if there were no "god and his people" holding man back...
"God and his people" might have held back some intellectual advancement... but it also held up some moral standards. If I make a atomic death ray gun, the only reason for me not to use it on you is a belief system that says that its wrong to steal and kill. People quick to bash religion need to think about what an absence of religion really means

Back
Top Bottom