Can we get a R&B/Soul/Neo-Soul thread?

Pete Rock's coming through with a solid set of R&B jawns from the Boiler Room....Checka check it out... :smokin You really can't get any better than what he spun during this set...

Here's a link to more Boiler Room DJ sets from various DJs. Some if not all are available for DL also...

https://soundcloud.com/platform

Mayer Hawthorne - Her Favorite Song (Ft. Jessie Ware)

I wish we could embed sound cloud players....

Man you beat me by 5 minutes
laugh.gif
. I think Mayer Hawthorne is one of the most underrated talents out there today

Brand New Heavies - BNH & Have A Good Time

:smokin BNH always reminded of having a Steely Dan vibe...

Last edited:
I remember them... :lol: Oran "Juice" Jones was in that vid @ the 4:05 mark... Some of them girls in the Full Of Smoke vid though... :smokin

That group was corny but I repped you for nostalgia's sake...

Last edited:
psk you mess with Steely Dan? I literally just listened to Aja yesterday. :pimp:
Every few weeks I have to listen to that album all the way through.. **** is sonic heaven if you have a good system.

Honestly their early stuff sounds like some boring white people music imo but around the Royal Scam/Aja period they really hit their stride, as far as mixing the pop, jazz, funk, soul influences. The albums they dropped in the '00s sounds dated though, idk how they beat out Radiohead - Kid A at Grammys.

The Brand New Heavies is dope too, I gotta look into them more. I only heard about them from that one Dilla remix

I haven't seen this artist posted here yet, Alex Isley (the daughter of one of the Isley Bros). I randomly DLed her first project and honestly wasn't expecting much, but the **** is really smooth. Supposedly she produces her own stuff too

Those are from her Love/Art Memoirs EP which you can download here:

Last edited:
psk you mess with Steely Dan? I literally just listened to Aja yesterday. :pimp:
Every few weeks I have to listen to that album all the way through.. **** is sonic heaven if you have a good system.

Honestly their early stuff sounds like some boring white people music imo but around the Royal Scam/Aja period they really hit their stride, as far as mixing the pop, jazz, funk, soul influences. The albums they dropped in the '00s sounds dated though, idk how they beat out Radiohead - Kid A at Grammys.

The Brand New Heavies is dope too, I gotta look into them more. I only heard about them from that one Dilla remix

DT43, did you really have to ask if I mess with Steely Dan? :lol: My musical tastes are wide ranging. My father was an audiophile. He had McIntosh equipment, he was the first person we knew that got Martin Logan speakers & a CD player in the early 80s. In fact he had a CD player years before anyone we knew that got one.

That said, he listened to a lot of things & Steely Dan was one of the groups he listened to specifically the period you mention. I have a wide array & diverse taste in music. I think I have somewhere around 2,000 or so CDs & 100 or so records.

I thought I had more vinyl but my turn table went up a while ago & I redid my listening room & packed them up for now until I get a new turn table. I got a new iMac for the family & redid my "listening" room into a home office/activity room/reading room for my wife & son to enjoy. I'll get a new turn table later this year or early next year.

Here is some more BNHs...

Brand New Heavies - Never Stop, Dream On Dreamer, Stay This Way, & Brother Sister.

@psk :pimp: that's wassup.. realtalk you're one of the few posters on here that's actually an OG, legit, hardcore music head.It's greatto have that on the forums. Shoutout to omgitswes^ you're a good poster too. Wouldn't even mess with Music forum like that if it wasn't for the threads we all contribute to.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's much appreciated & I feel likewise about what you both contribute.

Here are the 3 r&b artists my dad played the most during my childhood... These songs & the albums they came from sound amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing on great audio equipment.

Curtis Mayfield - You're So Good To Me

Marvin Gaye - Gotta Give It Up

Stevie Wonder - Don't You Worry About A Thing

Toto - Georgy Porgy (ft. Cheryl Lynn)

This is another album my pops used to listen to a lot way back in the day. This was later covered by a group called Charme with vocals by Luther Vandross. The sample was then used famously by MC Light. Listening to that Pete Rock DJ set I posted above reminded me of this song.

Going to a cook out next week & some folks were asked to bring a playlist. I'm bringing 2. Here's the first one. Nothing says cook out then some grown folks music. They don't make jawns like this anymore.

Patrice Rushen - Remind Me
SOS Band - Tell Me If You Still Care
Don Blackmon - Loving You, Holding You
Shalamar - There It Is
Earth, Wind, & Fire - Love's Holiday
Chaka Khan - What Cha' Gonna Do For Me
Mtume - Juicy Fruit
Michael Jackson - PYT
Luther Vandross - Never Too Much
Frankie Beverly And Maze - Before I Let Go
Cherelle - Saturday Love (ft. Alexander O'Neil)
LTD - Don't You Get So Mad
Loose Ends - Hanging On A String (Contemplating)
Shalamar - This Is For The Lover

Mariah Carey - Beautiful (ft. Miguel)

Say what you want about her, but Mariah Carey still looking good. I like this song... Tune is catchy as heck...

Last edited:
Bad Rabbits - Walkin' On The Moon

This is the first song I heard from them... Isn't this a cover of a Dream song?

Muddy Waters - I Feel So Good & Got My Mojo Working (Newport Jazz Festival 1960)

It's a got damn shame blues & jazz isn't recognized for the only true American art form that it is. All modern American music is directly traced right back to the blues.

Waters 1960 concert remains one of the all time great live recordings ever. Waters was at the peak of his powers during this time. Had to post in here...

Little Walter - My Babe

Had to post these songs too.

Albert King - I'll Play The Blues For You

Albert King is the reason why guitarists make the guitar face. No one could be a note like Albert could especially 2 note bends...

Last edited:
Props for the Bad Rabbits posts.  Never heard of these cats.  Look forward to checking their stuff out.

Fetsum, by way of Egypt.  His album is pretty damn good.

[h1]Tawiah [/h1]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom