Can we get a R&B/Soul/Neo-Soul thread?

Jacob Collier - Savior & In My Room (Beach Boys cover)

Something new for the NTers... A Brit multi-instrumentalist. Hie melodies remind me of Take 6... Kind of has the vibe of a Steely Dan or early Michael McDonald... His album was just released. I think it's called In My Room where he does a cover of the Beach Boys classic

My favorite SG Lewis song is Warm...

Last edited:

Such a shame Danny Boy's records weren't released by Death Row back in the '90s. Some really smooth tunes with production from DJ Quik and DeVante at their peak.

I don't know if it has been posted, but y'all should give a listen to an artist named Kendra Foster. She sang a bunch of backup on D'angelo's Black Messiah album.

Speaking of D'Angelo, RIP to his former manager & co-architect of the "neo-soul" movement, Dominique Trenier. Indebted to this brother for helping to create one of my favorite all time albums in D'Angelo's Voodoo. I still listen to that album or several tracks from that album several times a week.

Here are some words about the brother from Okayplayer & ?uestlove.

Okayplayer post -
We are deeply saddened to confirm that Dominique Trenier, longtime manager and creative director for artists like D’Angelo, has passed. According to sources close to Trenier and his family, Dom, as he was known to friends and colleagues, was found dead this morning in his Los Angeles home, though the cause of death has yet to be established.

It was Trenier who famously dreamed up the iconic “How Does It Feel” video, but his accolades and accomplishments stretch far beyond getting D to take his shirt off. Trenier was one of unheralded architects of NYC’s downtown renaissance and the “neo-soul”movement at-large, a magnetic force that pulled brilliant creatives together to realize incredible potential and craft some of our most beloved albums, soundtracks (Blow, Space Jam) and experiences in music over the last 20 years. Dom signed Nikka Costa, brought a young Mark Ronson into the fold, and even had his own record label, Cheeba Records, for some time. He was a dear friend to the late Ted Demme, who directed and created Yo! MTV Raps and Blow.

No one should envy the role of a manager, especially a former artist who found himself as the main creative force behind so many cherished projects, as the job is thankless, even as it’s so necessary. But Dom was a fierce creator unto himself that never minded side-stepping into the wings to see his clients and friends alike, flourish. Our hearts are with the Trenier family today and forever as they process this loss, and wish them only peace in this trying time. RIP Dominique Trenier, you will be sorely missed.

?uestlove post on IG
Words for Dom Part 1 For a good chunk of my life, Dominique Trenier was one of my very closest friends. He was also my musical mentor, my most trusted set of ears and my earliest champion. At 24 years old, I was just a downtown kid playing records at trendy hip hop clubs. One Friday night, he came up to my booth in the VIP room at Life and said, “Yo, i got this girl. She’s got an incredible voice…really incredible. Anyway, i don’t know what the album’s supposed to sound like exactly, but i want it to feel like one of your [DJ] sets. You know, EPMD, AC/DC, Chaka Khan…Biggie, all that ****”. I was both psyched and incredibly flattered. Dom was a already a bit of a downtown icon. His music cred was nuts. He worked with D’Angelo & rolled with Puffy, Russell and Andre. His charisma was off the chain, all types of people were drawn to him (i think he was holding court with Chris Rock & Rick Rubin that night). And most recognisably, he had this crazy raspy voice that sounded like he’d been gargling razor blades since the age of 6. Nobody knew how his voice got that way. Like Seal’s scars, one morning he apparently just awoke that way. And the fact that a young black man could have the same throaty timbre of a 70 year Jew from Brooklyn only added to the legend of “Exotic Dom”. A few weeks later, he introduced me to the “girl”—Nikka Costa. And over the next two years, under Dom’s musical guidance, Nikka, her husband Justin and I produced Nikka’s debut album—which in turn led to me getting my first album deal with Elektra. Also, being a walking charm factory, Dom always knew the best people to hang with in every city. The time we visited London, Dom says, “Yo. My friend Jade said the flyest club night is tonight. It’s called YOYO. We’re going”. That night, I met Leo Greenslade & Seb Chew. Through my incredible friendship with them and playing their night YOYO over the years, among other wonderful things, I met Lily Allen. Dom also introduced me to Guy Moot at an early Nikka gig in London. A few years later, Guy sent Amy Winehouse to my studio in NY to see if we would click musically. I can trace most every important thing that happened in my career back to his hand

Last edited:
I've been playing this Marvin Gaye song repeatedly for the last few weeks. Its one of my fav Donald Byrd songs and this song just surfaced in 2011..

Noname Gypsy - Telefone was a pretty good listen, if anyone is familiar with her from the chance tapes 

Last edited:
I've been playing this Marvin Gaye song repeatedly for the last few weeks. Its one of my fav Donald Byrd songs and this song just surfaced in 2011..
Remy Shand came out of the catacombs a few years ago and covered this song.... pretty good

RIP Rod Temperton! :frown: Wrote so many songs that were the soundtrack to my childhood & introduction to music...

Temperton died in London last week at the age of 66 after "a brief aggressive battle with cancer", Jon Platt of Warner/Chappell music publishing said.

In the early 80s, Rod wrote hits for many of Quincy Jones production projects, including George Benson ("Give me the Night" and "Love x Love"), Brothers Johnson ("Stomp") and Patti Austin ("Baby, Come to Me"). He then penned three more songs for Michael Jackson's follow-up album, Thriller, including the title track. The LP went on to smash all sales records, selling in excess of 70 million copies. The song "Thriller" began life as "Starlight," and the famous Vincent Price rap was written by Rod in the back of a cab on the way to the studio. Temperton followed with compositions for a number of A-List stars, including Aretha Franklin, Herbie Hancock, Michael McDonald, Patti Austin, Donna Summer, James Ingram, and many more (here is a list of his major compsitions)

Lort have mercy, this girl was fine then & fine now... The fit on them shirt & pants... :evil:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom