Can you call yourself a "collector" if..................

Over the past 10+ years I have grown extremely frustratedwith the amounts of fakes and low quality retro’s so much to the point where Ihave taken myself out of collector realm and retired from the shoe game with nohard feelings. I am what I like to call a memory purchaser when it come to Jay’s,I only buy the Jay’s I have a fond memory of them. WhatI have noticed since my retirement lol is the increased amounts of re-sellers andretro kings. We all know what re-sellers are but retro kings are what get underskin, these guys and gals are the 20 and under crew who came along during theretro era and don’t even remember the best Jordan days. They just go buy eachnumber in each color in multiple pairs and call it collecting.Some out there know what I’m talking about and others don’t, so I pose thequestion to all (good, bad or indifferent), can you call yourself a collectorespecially of Jordan’s if you never purchased a pair of his shoes during hisprime when it had a different meaning?

Im 22 i buy what i like and resell if i have too ( quote me on that if u want thats just me ) but the people born after the jordan ERA never had a chance to see him play or grow up to him so they just buy what they like, if a person came to me and said i have 25 retro jordans, i would say thats a collection. So yes your still a collector even if you dont know the meaning of the shoe during his prime.

sorry to burst ur bubble

fjqp78.gif

but its their money too.

Bro Im 24 i got to see Jordan Play (not in person) lol i wore some OG's
but i didnt get into the "collecting" aspect of it till a few years ago when i was old enough to buy my own shoes.
Cant blame the younger generation for not being around when everything was OG
A dope shoe is a dope shoe no matter how many times its retroed ppl will still want to cop regardless of what their situation is...
So to answer your question
yes by definition you can call those ppl collectors

I understand what you're saying but you really can't dismiss the efforts of those who were only babies or kids during mj's prime.

That's like saying anyone who wasn't born before 1966 isn't a true beatles fan because they weren't born early enough to had listened to them during the 60's,
and 70's. Does that make them less of a fan? If they own all the albums, and could recite the lyrics to every song, are they less of a fan because they were born in the 70's or 80's?

lol that was pretty good and I appreciate the graphic but what do Jordan's mean to people who never really saw him play, I dont want to confuse you Im only 28 but I got in on a good portion of his career and easily remember original releases of the 10's on up until now. I think the meaning has been lost or misplaced in the mist of it all, dont get me wrong Jordan's were just as popular then in the 80's and 90's as they are now as far as just being a trend amongst the youth but for kids like me if you had a pair of Jay's you thought they would make you shoot like and play like Mike, what do they mean to someone who has never saw him play and cant even gather the feeling that he bought to his shoes and basketball??

yeah man. im 24 and only had 2 pair growin up because my parents didnt have the money..my dads from chicago and i was in front of a tv at 6 weeks old watchin jordan lol...no i but wat i want when i want...and consider myself a collector

I can appreciate the fact that someone wasn’t born at a certain time and place, I don’t want to get off subject, I'm fairly young myself like I said but I just feel like the meaning is lost, I’ve seen post of people asking when did Jordan wear those shoes???!! Are you kidding me, why are you buying the shoes !!!!! You have to see where I’m coming from with this, it makes no sense. For example you see someone with the concords on before you have any concept of Jordans and you say to yourself "I like them and I want those" they happen to be Jordans, and somehow down the line you end up with 150 other pairs of Jordans and you are a “collector

Originally Posted by Ragz2ritchez83

I can appreciate the fact that someone wasn’t born at a certain time and place, I don’t want to get off subject, I'm fairly young myself like I said but I just feel like the meaning is lost, I’ve seen post of people asking when did Jordan wear those shoes???!! Are you kidding me, why are you buying the shoes !!!!! You have to see where I’m coming from with this, it makes no sense. For example you see someone with the concords on before you have any concept of Jordans and you say to yourself "I like them and I want those" they happen to be Jordans, and somehow down the line you end up with 150 other pairs of Jordans and you are a “collector

this thread is laughable.....I dont know why older sneaker heads feel so entitled? Im probably older than all of you in this thread and I dont think like the OP does at all.....

WOW lol well pretty much that says it all right there, and yes I see that a couple people younger than myself don’t agree and we can agree to disagree but this quote "I started collecting based on aesthetics, not on its historical richness

Originally Posted by swooshbeast

notice how nobody agrees with you...
Sad thing is that all these older dudes feel the same way. They try to guilt you for not knowing the entire historical value of a shoe. As if it matters.. 

Originally Posted by Ragz2ritchez83

WOW lol well pretty much that says it all right there, and yes I see that a couple people younger than myself don’t agree and we can agree to disagree but this quote "I started collecting based on aesthetics, not on its historical richness

I got to say that my initial question was jacked up and worded incorrectly I really just wanted someone to tell me why a person who never saw Jordan play to any significant degree and they don’t remember his career or the hay day of his popularity, why would a person go out and buy a crazy amount of his shoes and label themselves a “collector

Originally Posted by ccastro02

Originally Posted by swooshbeast

notice how nobody agrees with you...
Sad thing is that all these older dudes feel the same way. They try to guilt you for not knowing the entire historical value of a shoe. As if it matters.. 

Exactly! Its hilarious.......

The last thing I will say is that I came with that question because I met a guy in ATL (a friend of my cousin) who is in his mid-50 I guess, and he had a collection that I have never seen the likes of, no it wasn’t 1000’s of pairs or even 500, he had the OG 1’s through the 15’s brand new in their original boxes in their original bags from the store sitting in a closet in a guess room in his house smh the three pairs he opened and let me take a look at had the original receipts inside the shoe box smh I couldn’t think of any possible way to get out of his house with them all in my possession anyway I never seen nothing like it, I was just in town for a wedding and happened to be introduced to the guy, he said he hadn’t even looked at the shoes in years, he also said he stopped collecting really after Jordan retired the second time. I asked him why he bought them and he was like Jordan was the greatest show on earth and anytime he came to ATL and played I went and saw him and I just thought he was the greatest so starting in 85’ I guess he just went and bought a pair of his shoes and kept it going. It was really easy to see his motivation for buying the shoes he was a true fan, so it got me thinking how deteriorated the shoe game has gotten and how the meaning of it all has vanished for the most part. Idk instead of going back and forth over the topic, I just find it sad after that concord release because most didn’t even know why they were there…

Like i said before you cant blame them for being born later, what they see is what the internet and media gives them, it can be the most horrible shoe and and be slap with a QS sticker and they would still buy. not bc of what jordan did when he wore them but bc thats the style and they want the latest things.

I'm only 21 bout to be 22. I love Jordan's shoes especially the shoes designed by Tinker Hatfield. Did I see all his games? no. But my first shoe I bought was the red/white/black patent leather i's that came out in '03. I consider myself a collector. I purchased a DVD, shortly after i bought the shoes, that is based on Michael Jordan's career that I enjoy watching. And you know what? I can relive nearly every moment that you speak of. Im not saying I know everything about him or that I'm a bigger fan, but I really like his shoes and what he did in them.

I'm 21 as well, you can't fault me for being unable to purchase Air Jordans during his prime. I as a kid followed Jordan and I do take note behind each legendary/historical shoe and/or most moments that he had (retirement, different jersey numbers ,etc.) I also buy what I like, if JB had only released OG's, you yourself wouldn't have the chance to purchase these "memories". Just because you don't consider yourself a collector anymore, only means that its time to pass the torch. Most resellers are around the age where they were able to see when Jordan was in his prime. Blame them for all the hype babies... I can agree that the true meaning is being lost, but hey what can you do??? "Real recognize real" the people I've talked to about kicks, realize that I know my stuff before even asking what my age is. So age has nothing to do with it bro...

In my Opinion...
Kids nowadays just "Buy" or "Re-Sell", not collect, sorry to hurt your feelings... Collecting is serious business, just ask and look around...

But there are others out there, Young Collectors that are serious about sneakers, knows the history, details, and passion for collecting sneakers...

I think Retros are good, not great, but good... just can't resist a fresh pair of sneakers...

Next Time OP, If you see or hear kids talk about sneakers and know to yourself that their full of it.. JUST WALK AWAY AND 
30t6p3b.gif

Say what you want about these young collectors, they are the ones making you camp out for your J's. Personally I don't care for these up and coming collectors, just another unit making me work harder to get my pair. Just telling it like it is
roll.gif

Collection is a trend now. Before people just plainly want to buy js or shoes in general to have a good shoes to ball in, nowadays its part of their "outfit" and only rarely people buy these 150 plus shoes to ball in em. I call myself a avid fan. Not no collector or sneakerhead.

You have to understand that nike/jordan sneakers are shoes of nostalgia and culture. Kids from all over just like nice and popular things. Thats nike/jordans. Jays were just what kids in my area wore because their jays every loves and wears them.

Back
Top Bottom