Can you call yourself a "collector" if..................

Originally Posted by Ragz2ritchez83

I can appreciate the fact that someone wasn’t born at a certain time and place, I don’t want to get off subject, I'm fairly young myself like I said but I just feel like the meaning is lost, I’ve seen post of people asking when did Jordan wear those shoes???!! Are you kidding me, why are you buying the shoes !!!!! You have to see where I’m coming from with this, it makes no sense. For example you see someone with the concords on before you have any concept of Jordans and you say to yourself "I like them and I want those" they happen to be Jordans, and somehow down the line you end up with 150 other pairs of Jordans and you are a “collector

I remember when I was a kid I think I was 6 or 7, but I got my first pair of Jordans and I got the 6s. Then I got a few pairs of 7s and the last pair I got were the Obsidian 12s. Granted I was only 12 years old when I got the 12s, but I stopped getting into shoes and just got whatever looked good at the time. I remember getting back into Jordans when I was 16 when the 16s dropped, but didn't have the money. Same goes with the 17s. It wasnt until I was a senior in high school I got a pair of Jordan 1s. My next pair was a pair of Pure 4s and nothing until the space jam release. Call me a hype beast or not, but the Space Jams were the shoes that got me back into liking sneakers again because I remember as a kid watching the movie and wanting the shoes. If you like the shoes get em. I've been on a tear getting shoes and keeping up with the releases lately now that I can afford the shoes without a problem know, but I like the shoes and if you do too who cares what they say. Just a little insight from a 26 year old around from Jordan's time and had some OGs and just got back into the game in '09

24 turning 25 later this month.i feel like I'm in between i do remember a lot of releases but being in grade school, moms wasn't buying them so what could i do? partly my problem now, now purchasing shoes that i didn't get way back when, when jordan was JORDAN and that was 1 of the 5 top shoes to wear. all in all i always been a fan and even strayed away for a few years but I'm only grabbing og cw's that i never got as a kid and with the current price hikes i have to be even more selective.

I think its bc the name JORDAN whether its retro or team people gonna buy em. Im 30 and have been working in the shoe business for 12 years now. I feel the awareness for Jordan's is at a level like any other time and I honestly love it! There were a few years where retros weren't really releasing and I felt like JB WAS DEAD. But now they back. Honestly I feel after 2013 they should fall back for a year or 2 to see how crazy the demand would be for whatever retro they decide to put out.

OP straight giving the older gods a bad name with this discussion

My take is the younger cats, probably just like you back in the day, want to get fresh so they cop the latest and greatest retro or whatever and if they can double up or triple up and resell to basically get their own pair for free, how can you knock that hustle, i'm doing that too and i'm 30, why not?

I consider myself a sneaker collector, and I definitely saw Jordan back with the Bulls, but for me collecting the sneakers was about looking fresh, not celebrating the dude.

What would you say to all those sneakerheads that collect air maxes, af1s, nike retros, that they aren't true collectors because they don't know every detail about that shoe's designer?

Well, you cannot expect that only the old guys
Are allowed to collect jordans only because
The new collectors were too young to see him playing
Back in his prime. I started watching
Nba in 1993 and was sad that he retired
When i just started to love basketball.
The aj 8 playoffs were also my very first pair
Of air jordans which i do not
own anymore because i did not
Start to collect jordans before 1996.
to me the chicago X have a very special value
As it was Mjs first comeback shoe, while the
White/royal XVIII his final retirement shoe.

I think the main difference is between hypebeasts
who just buy them for fashion and following the
hype and collectors who collect the jordans
because of MJs basketball legacy.

I've been wearing jordans since 1985. I even saw him play ball in the house that Dean Smith built.
I could care less about what other people do.

Originally Posted by highondust

I've been wearing jordans since 1985. I even saw him play ball in the house that Dean Smith built.
I could care less about what other people do.

Should care more about Grammar.
Couldnt...

*Topic:

Kids come up with their own reasons to buy things today. Collecting is a trend...just like JNCO's in the 90's...it'll go away and Jordan will have to think of something else..

Originally Posted by jayzrdead

24 turning 25 later this month.i feel like I'm in between i do remember a lot of releases but being in grade school, moms wasn't buying them so what could i do? partly my problem now, now purchasing shoes that i didn't get way back when, when jordan was JORDAN and that was 1 of the 5 top shoes to wear. all in all i always been a fan and even strayed away for a few years but I'm only grabbing og cw's that i never got as a kid and with the current price hikes i have to be even more selective.

Same here, I'm turning 22 next year and I always watched not only Jordan as a kid but NBA in general. First time I was really aware of shoes was when Ahmad Rashad introduced the XIs during a Bulls game. After that I wanted Jordans, Pennys, Barkleys. I always noticed the shoes before then but now they had a name and I could see them up close. Of course my parents weren't gonna buy me anything expensive so I waited until I was 16 to start being able to afford what I wanted. My parents created a monster 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by airdhazzal

Say what you want about these young collectors, they are the ones making you camp out for your J's. Personally I don't care for these up and coming collectors, just another unit making me work harder to get my pair. Just telling it like it is
roll.gif

I just miss the days of actually not having to walk through hell just to land a pair of J's.  I'm sitting here watching He Got Game and the one scene where Denzel just walks into the store and cops the XIII's.  Once upon a time it was actually like that.  You see some of these kids buy 3 pairs of X's after spending an entire day trying to land them, then spending hours online trying to sell them off at 30-40 bucks above retail...I just have to laugh.  'Nah man, no regular job for me, I'll stick to slingin' sneakers.'

Oh, and stop wearing skinny jeans kids.  Your balls are showing.

What if you are a Tinker fan?? For people that enjoy more than sports and sports figures, the sheer art of these shoes is amazing. The concept of incorporating a panther, or a Ferrari onto a basketball court. The I's being banned due to color blotching. The shoes and the designs have a legacy as well. I like the art.

These are shoes. People buy shoes because they like how they look, how they are made, how they feel, etc. If you go out and buy a pair of timbs, do you need to know the entire history about them? If a girl goes to buy a pair of heels, does she need to know their entire history? NO. I would hope that Jordans mean something different to you than it would to a 15 year old kid.

I'm going to be 30 in a few months. I remember most of Jordan's career pretty clearly.

I could care less why people want to buy and wear sneakers. To the old guys: enjoy your nostalgia, to the young guys: enjoy your style.

People need to relax and just buy the shoes the like and let others do the same, it doesn't affect you in any way what other people's reasons are.

What was the whole point of this thread? Why does it matter who is collecting and how young or old they are, we are in a free and democratic country, you can do whatever you want to do!!! Let us just all enjoy the J's. Sneakerhead, collector, basketball player, who cares????????
mad.gif

I'm 30 and don't agree. A collector can be 5 years old. Who cares if they don't know the historical context - they are just SHOES.

LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES.

A LOT OF THESE MODELS ARE POPULAR BECAUSE JORDAN WORE THEM. YOU THINK THEY WOULD BE AS POPULAR IF THE LESSER KNOWN PLAYERS OF THE TIME WORE THEM INSTEAD. NOPE.

AESTHETICS IS TRUE TO A DEGREE BUT FOR THE MOST PART IT'S THE FACT THAT OLDER HEADS LOVED THESE SHOES WHICH THE YOUNGER GENERATION PICKED UP ON THAT AND COPIED.

LITTLE BROTHER DOES AND LIKES WHAT BIG BROTHER LIKES AND DOES.

Originally Posted by SoleInRevolt

yeah man. im 24 and only had 2 pair growin up because my parents didnt have the money..my dads from chicago and i was in front of a tv at 6 weeks old watchin jordan lol...no i but wat i want when i want...and consider myself a collector

Im the same age and feel ya, i was just a lil guy when GOAT was in his prime, but being from the chi and still living here i think everyone knows the legacy and histroy of the man. He left an impression on the city that will never go away. They still broadcast old games back to back to back on comcast sports taking you through all the playoff runs. 
My boy was pippens nephew so I was all about the bulls MJ, PIP, Rodman, Kukoc, Longly, BJ, Grant, Pax, all them. My room was lined with plaques, posters and cards

My collecting days may have started much later than others, (just started last year) but i had other %!$! i had to pay for, like school. Now that i'm on my old man grind and got a job, i can pay for what i want. Dont get me wrong i'm always looking for OG's, but if i cant get them i look for the retro. I may be newer to the game, but that doesnt mean i am not knowledgeable and passionate about it.

Well, I'll add my 2 cents to this thread:

I am 22, turning 23 later in the year, and have always been fascinated by Michael Jordan. I was a baby/toddler/adolescent for most if not all of MJ hay days but I try to bring back those feelings by buying these sneakers that are 'retros'. I recently started 'collecting' back in September of '11, and now I have a sizable amount of retros at 15 pairs. Late bloomer yes, but I did purchase Jordans back in 04/05 when people would agree the quality was much nicer. I just don't see why you shouldn't call a 20 something year old person a collector just because they weren't around to buy the sneakers when MJ was playing. Its not our fault that we weren't able to cop back in the late 80's early/mid 90s. However, those who collect just to resell, that's different. I buy what I like and don't feed into the hype, unless its a sneaker that hasn't been released in a while (Concords, Chicagos, WC 4's). Yes I don't own any OG's, but I feel that you shouldn't be judged because you don't own OG's when they dropped.

Call me crazy, but I see myself as a collector and yes I'm 22. Yes there is history, but we can also buy because we LIKE the shoes too. At the end of the day, they're just sneakers that a popular, well known man wore.

lol that was pretty good and I appreciate the graphic but what do Jordan's mean to people who never really saw him play, I dont want to confuse you Im only 28 but I got in on a good portion of his career and easily remember original releases of the 10's on up until now. I think the meaning has been lost or misplaced in the mist of it all, dont get me wrong Jordan's were just as popular then in the 80's and 90's as they are now as far as just being a trend amongst the youth but for kids like me if you had a pair of Jay's you thought they would make you shoot like and play like Mike, what do they mean to someone who has never saw him play and cant even gather the feeling that he bought to his shoes and basketball??

I'll stop reading there and help you out.

Just because someone didn't grow up watching him play doesn't mean that his appreciation for the shoes that we buy isn't as much as yours. Some of us do our homework you know? Some of us play or have played basketball competitively and understand that Jordan is and always will be the Greatest Player Ever. I remember before I collected, I used to watch his highlight reels and just be in complete awe at the things that he did in games that I wouldn't even try in practice.. I also remember sitting at the computer screen for hours watching his full games and doing my homework on him. I may not have grown up watching him play, but now that I'm old enough to watch him at all, i definitely do that and am very jealous that I couldn't grow up watching him play like all of you did. I woulda been all over it.

Not only do the shoes mean something to me in the sense of having something to commemorate  the man himself and his achievements. Sure, they have a meaning to me also in the way that people literally twist their necks when they see me wearing a bright pair at the mall and i see their faces go
eek.gif
.. I enjoy it. Also, these shoes are all pieces of art created by Tinker.. I look at the 3s and 11s especially and wonder how the #$%# he ever thought of those designs.. I've seen the blueprints but how in the world do you think of stuff like that? The legacy that is Michael Jordan is legendary.. and always will be. The legacy that is the Air Jordan line is absolute art and a commemoration of the Michael Jordan legacy. They go hand in hand. I've done my hw and know about both very much. I think I have the right to consider myself a true collector.

Hope that answers your question OP.

-From someone who didn't grow up watching Jordan play live.. (sadly)

Originally Posted by jetta23

What was the whole point of this thread? Why does it matter who is collecting and how young or old they are, we are in a free and democratic country, you can do whatever you want to do!!! Let us just all enjoy the J's. Sneakerhead, collector, basketball player, who cares????????
mad.gif

Lol I think you're right...

Originally Posted by spizike231

lol that was pretty good and I appreciate the graphic but what do Jordan's mean to people who never really saw him play, I dont want to confuse you Im only 28 but I got in on a good portion of his career and easily remember original releases of the 10's on up until now. I think the meaning has been lost or misplaced in the mist of it all, dont get me wrong Jordan's were just as popular then in the 80's and 90's as they are now as far as just being a trend amongst the youth but for kids like me if you had a pair of Jay's you thought they would make you shoot like and play like Mike, what do they mean to someone who has never saw him play and cant even gather the feeling that he bought to his shoes and basketball??

I'll stop reading there and help you out.

Just because someone didn't grow up watching him play doesn't mean that his appreciation for the shoes that we buy isn't as much as yours. Some of us do our homework you know? Some of us play or have played basketball competitively and understand that Jordan is and always will be the Greatest Player Ever. I remember before I collected, I used to watch his highlight reels and just be in complete awe at the things that he did in games that I wouldn't even try in practice.. I also remember sitting at the computer screen for hours watching his full games and doing my homework on him. I may not have grown up watching him play, but now that I'm old enough to watch him at all, i definitely do that and am very jealous that I couldn't grow up watching him play like all of you did. I woulda been all over it.

Not only do the shoes mean something to me in the sense of having something to commemorate  the man himself and his achievements. Sure, they have a meaning to me also in the way that people literally twist their necks when they see me wearing a bright pair at the mall and i see their faces go
eek.gif
.. I enjoy it. Also, these shoes are all pieces of art created by Tinker.. I look at the 3s and 11s especially and wonder how the #$%# he ever thought of those designs.. I've seen the blueprints but how in the world do you think of stuff like that? The legacy that is Michael Jordan is legendary.. and always will be. The legacy that is the Air Jordan line is absolute art and a commemoration of the Michael Jordan legacy. They go hand in hand. I've done my hw and know about both very much. I think I have the right to consider myself a true collector.

Hope that answers your question OP.

-From someone who didn't grow up watching Jordan play live.. (sadly)
It does answer my post in a couple of ways, and trust and believe I know that there are some youngins out there that do their homework and know the real. But the fact remains that most don't and its all turned into something that most of us cant recognize anymore

If you have over 10 pairs I would consider you a collector. Reselling is just a part of the game. People who need the money do it. I have a great career and income so I'm not worried about camping out or buying 5 pairs. I'll go to the store at noon and pick up my pair. If I miss out I miss out oh well they're just shoes. I will however never buy a pair of shoes for above retail. Even when I do sell my shoes I would never charge over retail. I sell them to my friends for great prices because I'm just a nice guy and like to see them get a hookup. Sheesh sometimes I just give my friends shoes for free. But that's just me maybe I'm more into the love of the game rather then the money in the game.

Back
Top Bottom