Can you call yourself a "collector" if..................

Originally Posted by dreb1989

Originally Posted by Ragz2ritchez83

I can appreciate the fact that someone wasn’t born at a certain time and place, I don’t want to get off subject, I'm fairly young myself like I said but I just feel like the meaning is lost, I’ve seen post of people asking when did Jordan wear those shoes???!! Are you kidding me, why are you buying the shoes !!!!! You have to see where I’m coming from with this, it makes no sense. For example you see someone with the concords on before you have any concept of Jordans and you say to yourself "I like them and I want those" they happen to be Jordans, and somehow down the line you end up with 150 other pairs of Jordans and you are a “collector

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES.

A LOT OF THESE MODELS ARE POPULAR BECAUSE JORDAN WORE THEM. YOU THINK THEY WOULD BE AS POPULAR IF THE LESSER KNOWN PLAYERS OF THE TIME WORE THEM INSTEAD. NOPE.

AESTHETICS IS TRUE TO A DEGREE BUT FOR THE MOST PART IT'S THE FACT THAT OLDER HEADS LOVED THESE SHOES WHICH THE YOUNGER GENERATION PICKED UP ON THAT AND COPIED.

LITTLE BROTHER DOES AND LIKES WHAT BIG BROTHER LIKES AND DOES.
I can get down that .....

Originally Posted by spizike231

Originally Posted by Ragz2ritchez83

lol that was pretty good and I appreciate the graphic but what do Jordan's mean to people who never really saw him play, I dont want to confuse you Im only 28 but I got in on a good portion of his career and easily remember original releases of the 10's on up until now. I think the meaning has been lost or misplaced in the mist of it all, dont get me wrong Jordan's were just as popular then in the 80's and 90's as they are now as far as just being a trend amongst the youth but for kids like me if you had a pair of Jay's you thought they would make you shoot like and play like Mike, what do they mean to someone who has never saw him play and cant even gather the feeling that he bought to his shoes and basketball??

I'll stop reading there and help you out.

Just because someone didn't grow up watching him play doesn't mean that his appreciation for the shoes that we buy isn't as much as yours. Some of us do our homework you know? Some of us play or have played basketball competitively and understand that Jordan is and always will be the Greatest Player Ever. I remember before I collected, I used to watch his highlight reels and just be in complete awe at the things that he did in games that I wouldn't even try in practice.. I also remember sitting at the computer screen for hours watching his full games and doing my homework on him. I may not have grown up watching him play, but now that I'm old enough to watch him at all, i definitely do that and am very jealous that I couldn't grow up watching him play like all of you did. I woulda been all over it.

Not only do the shoes mean something to me in the sense of having something to commemorate  the man himself and his achievements. Sure, they have a meaning to me also in the way that people literally twist their necks when they see me wearing a bright pair at the mall and i see their faces go
eek.gif
.. I enjoy it. Also, these shoes are all pieces of art created by Tinker.. I look at the 3s and 11s especially and wonder how the #$%# he ever thought of those designs.. I've seen the blueprints but how in the world do you think of stuff like that? The legacy that is Michael Jordan is legendary.. and always will be. The legacy that is the Air Jordan line is absolute art and a commemoration of the Michael Jordan legacy. They go hand in hand. I've done my hw and know about both very much. I think I have the right to consider myself a true collector.

Hope that answers your question OP.

-From someone who didn't grow up watching Jordan play live.. (sadly)
well said

For my first post on niketalk this went well lol Thanks to everybody that came with their point of view and angle on subject I have a feeling that my future post will be both well received and too complex for some. Well Im off to see D. Wade and Lebron smash up on my Wizards tonight......

I couldn't afford them when MJ was playing but Im living better now so I buy the ones I remember and a few new cw's here and there.

Originally Posted by ccastro02

Originally Posted by swooshbeast

notice how nobody agrees with you...
Sad thing is that all these older dudes feel the same way. They try to guilt you for not knowing the entire historical value of a shoe. As if it matters.. 
Nothing to do with "historical value", but I've been in line with ppl who didnt even know the model # they were lined up for. And buddy bought 3 pairs.

I dont think age matters, but a lot of younger dudes come off as not knowing anything about what they're buying. I've literally heard dudes call shoes ugly but then proceed to buy a couple pairs. It's like their buying them just because.

It is a little frustrating when someone who genuinely loves a particular shoe is left out because a bunch of kids bought some shoes and dont even know why.

Respect to the youngbucks who do have love.

Originally Posted by DRO3000

I couldn't afford them when MJ was playing but Im living better now so I buy the ones I remember and a few new cw's here and there.

same goes for me... I do understand the feeling of getting frustrated with some young dudes that don't know anything about the pair they're getting... had an experience with 'em type of dudes during the BC 3 RD in my area... still, to each his own I guess... everyone does have a right to cop nonetheless... 

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Sad thing is that all these older dudes feel the same way. They try to guilt you for not knowing the entire historical value of a shoe. As if it matters.. 
Nothing to do with "historical value", but I've been in line with ppl who didnt even know the model # they were lined up for. And buddy bought 3 pairs.

I dont think age matters, but a lot of younger dudes come off as not knowing anything about what they're buying. I've literally heard dudes call shoes ugly but then proceed to buy a couple pairs. It's like their buying them just because.

It is a little frustrating when someone who genuinely loves a particular shoe is left out because a bunch of kids bought some shoes and dont even know why.

Respect to the youngbucks who do have love.
To me, the bolded marks the difference between the hoarder and the collector. IMO, collecting is less about how much you have and more about how much you know. An art collector may not have all the rarest paintings in the world, but you can guarantee that he will be somewhat knowledgeable about certain painters' styles, periods, influences, .. and what's hanging on his walls. 
Likewise, you can't call yourself a sneaker collector (no matter how old/young you are) if you don't know a little bit more than the average consumer about the shoes sitting in your closet.

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Respect to the young bucks who do have love.
I personally am not a big fan of the guy. I'm more of a karl malone, ewing, and david robinson kind of guy. If you've been collecting long enough, by nature you're going to get to know a little about the shoes history. You're going to know what year they were released and whatever blurp is written on the retro card. Like i said i'm not a big fan of the guy. I know i'm probably gonna get a lot of heat for this but, he didn't design the shoes, he didn't pay for mine, why should i be obligated to pay my respects. I pay my respects to designers tinker hartfield and Wilson Smith, for designing the shoes that i love so much.  

you cant say some isnt a collector because they dont see him play. most collectors buy the shoes for the design not what happened in them. if you only buy shoes because of who wore them that doesnt make you a collector

I think this whole arguement/question is a JOKE.
People buy what they like for all sorts of reasons and shouldn't have to justify it to anyone.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by airBOZretroIII

People buy what they like for all sorts of reasons and shouldn't have to justify it to anyone.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

agreed

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

agreed

I third the motion!!!

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
 i hear what you're trying to say OP....but it aint gonna work in this forum now.....but let the people buy what they like....
i just find it funny when some people where buying the concords and calling em the space jam concords.....
indifferent.gif
.....or calling the 99 4s OG as well as the 2000 concords OG.....but those young collectors, resellers, or whatever u call em support the buy what u like movement...just funny that's all....
laugh.gif

Well, most air jordans have been always a love
Or hate shoe. Even the XI were hated by many
Because they were the very first athletic shoe
To have extensive use patent leather.
Since then patent leather has been quite common.

In my opinion, air jordans are like modern art,
Being avantgarde compared to most other
sneakers. Adidas tried the same way with
The kobe and kobe 2, though the kobe 2 looked
Like a bobslider.

Back
Top Bottom