canada is experimenting giving people unconditional free money VOL...Universal basic income

Finland and the Netherlands have already shown their interest in giving people a regular monthly allowance regardless of working status, and now Ontario, Canada is onboard.

Ontario's government announced in February that a pilot program will be coming to the Canadian province sometime later this year.

The premise: send people monthly checks to cover living expenses such as food, transportation, clothing, and utilities — no questions asked.

It's a radical idea, and one that has been around since the 1960s. It's called "basic income." In the decades since it was first proposed, various researchers and government officials have given basic income experiments a try, to mixed results.

Folks at the Basic Income Canada Network, the national organization promoting basic income, have high hopes.

"We need it rolled out across Canada, and Quebec, too, is in the game," said chair of BICN, Sheila Regehr, in a statement. "So there's no reason why people and governments in other parts of this country need sit on the sidelines – it's time for us all to get to work."

Ontario officials haven't decided when or where exactly it'll roll out the program, nor how much each person will receive. When it does, the money will come from a portion of Ontario's budget set aside for the experiment.

In Finland, a small social democratic country, people will receive an additional 800 euros per month, or just shy of $900. In various cities throughout the Netherlands, people receive an extra $1,000.

Ontario at least doesn't seem to be spinning its wheels. Canada's federal minister of families, children, and social development, Jean-Yves Duclos, formally endorsed the experiment early last month, saying that basic income merits a genuine discussion.

"There are many different types of guaranteed minimum income," Duclostold The Globe and Mail. "I'm personally pleased that people are interested in the idea."

In theory, basic income should work.

While one kneejerk reaction is to argue that free money creates a lazy working class, research suggests the opposite is true. Supported by the financial safety net, people in one 2013 study actually worked 17% longer hours and received 38% higher earnings when basic income was given a shot.

In a country like Canada, where healthcare and retirement savings are already highly socialized, it isn't farfetched to think a steady income paid for by the taxpayers could roll out smoothly.

Many people will have the mindset of its "extra money" and most likely spend it which is exactly what the gov would want. interesting concept. Does that also mean the 1% get an income as well?

Interesting, has this been implemented in Finland yet and what were the results?

America is turning into a two tier society, eventually it will bottom out, and the rich will cannibalize themselves. They can no longer eat off of the poor, because the poor have nothing to give.

Many people will have the mindset of its "extra money" and most likely spend it which is exactly what the gov would want. interesting concept. Does that also mean the 1% get an income as well?
pretty sure the 1% would get it too

depending on how the government is financing this, the 1% will probably be taxed more than the free money they get 

i fee like other countries be tryna do iller ****, but we doin the same ol regular ****. 4 states legalizing mj. big whoop. still illegal federally.

Got me excited, but it's just Ontario and not the entire country.
this 
laugh.gif

Interesting, has this been implemented in Finland yet and what were the results?

From what I recall Finland is considering this because their unemployment rate was so high and people weren't working so they could keep their benefits.

I don't think it's been implemented yet though.

Last edited:
Have some work to do in canada soon, whats the meskin population lookin like? Is there an area or side of town with mexican bars/restraunts? The skrip clubs legit? Like is there thick chicks up there cuz i picture canada wit a bunch of frog leg bimbos.

Have some work to do in canada soon, whats the meskin population lookin like? Is there an area or side of town with mexican bars/restraunts? The skrip clubs legit? Like is there thick chicks up there cuz i picture canada wit a bunch of frog leg bimbos.
Canadian skrip clubs > American

Canadian skrip clubs > American

For real!!! I remember senior year of high school driving up through Detroit to hit the clubs in Windsor. 5-6 hour drive on a Saturday and we would party all night and then come back to our boring rural town surrounded by corn fields and cow/hog farms.

i fee like other countries be tryna do iller ****, but we doin the same ol regular ****. 4 states legalizing mj. big whoop. still illegal federally.

Real talk though... everythings cool with the MJ until u try to blow up... then tge gov't is in your ask..

I loved picking girls up from THEIR WEED DISPENSARY jobs dojng uber....

They get in my car looking like lil mayo

For real!!! I remember senior year of high school driving up through Detroit to hit the clubs in Windsor. 5-6 hour drive on a Saturday and we would party all night and then come back to our boring rural town surrounded by corn fields and cow/hog farms.
Windsor is a 30 minute drive for me[emoji]128064[/emoji] is it really lit like that? I k ow back in the early 2000s our whole neighborhood would go over to club 112 on Saturdays but I was a kid then. Trynna cross a few times this summer.

Yes and get tax like 56% on it.

I'm all for uba as it will be necessary with automation

$900 a month isnt going to cover living expenses though. That isnt even going to cover/rent mortgage in most places.

Windsor is a 30 minute drive for me[emoji]128064[/emoji] is it really lit like that? I k ow back in the early 2000s our whole neighborhood would go over to club 112 on Saturdays but I was a kid then. Trynna cross a few times this summer.

I was going around 01-02. No idea if it's still like that. But back then it was crazy. Married with kids now, so I'm lucky to get out to even a boring town bar.

Back
Top Bottom