CANADIANS: Get out and vote on monday!! United States election post: 10000000000 pgs. Canada: 1

Originally Posted by AC4Three

Originally Posted by SupremeApe

Yeah the system is not perfect, especially since Ontario provides almost 50% of Canada's revenue but does not have more say then Newfoundland. But its alot better then the US

It will be a minority government, which is a good thing.

What is surprising about this election is the drop of the Liberals from 31% at the start of the election to 20% now. I dont blame Michael Ignatieff because its seems the liberal scandal is still fresh in alot of voters minds.

Another surprise the raise of the NDP in Quebec. Which should not be a surprise since the Bloc is basically the same thing as the NDP just with separatism ideology. It shows that Quebec is leaning towards a federalist system which has not been seen in 20 years.
Care to elaborate on this statement?
- I just find it funny that ontario provides the most revenue to Ottawa but when they ask for stuff other provinces complain.
- Its basically the age old debate over rural provinces having the same say as urban provinces

Not picking on NL

Yeah the system is not perfect, especially since Ontario provides almost 50% of Canada's revenue but does not have more say then Newfoundland. But its alot better then the US

What is surprising about this election is the drop of the Liberals from 31% at the start of the election to 20% now. I dont blame Michael Ignatieff because its seems the liberal scandal is still fresh in alot of voters minds.

Another surprise the raise of the NDP in Quebec. Which should not be a surprise since the Bloc is basically the same thing as the NDP just with separatism ideology. It shows that Quebec is leaning towards a federalist system which has not been seen in 20 years.
- I just find it funny that ontario provides the most revenue to Ottawa but when they ask for stuff other provinces complain.
- Its basically the age old debate over rural provinces having the same say as urban provinces

Not picking on NL

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ughhh...I think Canadians made a terrible mistake yesterday, one that's gonna hurt us for the next 4 years.

As much as I dislike Harper, I didnt mind having him as PM of a minority government because his power was constrained and he needed to consult with other parties in order to pass his budgets and other laws. Now the guy can basically do whatever the heck he wants including cutting corporate taxes, cutting social spending, increasing prison funding (even though crime in Canada is low), waste over $15 billion on fighter jets we dont even need, etc etc.

Congrats to Layton for yesterday's achievement. This guy took over a party that won like 13 seats a decade ago and has since transformed them into the 2nd most powerful party in the country. It'll be interesting to see him possibly compete more seriously with Harper in the next elections.

As for the Liberals, they havent had a likeable leader since Chretien's departure and it's gonna take them some time (probably 4+ years) to rebuild the party from the ground up. Ignatieff can now go back home and lecture about how torture is OK and continue to defend the Iraq war.
This.

Bob Rae should be the next leader of the liberal party

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ughhh...I think Canadians made a terrible mistake yesterday, one that's gonna hurt us for the next 4 years.

As much as I dislike Harper, I didnt mind having him as PM of a minority government because his power was constrained and he needed to consult with other parties in order to pass his budgets and other laws. Now the guy can basically do whatever the heck he wants including cutting corporate taxes, cutting social spending, increasing prison funding (even though crime in Canada is low), waste over $15 billion on fighter jets we dont even need, etc etc.

Congrats to Layton for yesterday's achievement. This guy took over a party that won like 13 seats a decade ago and has since transformed them into the 2nd most powerful party in the country. It'll be interesting to see him possibly compete more seriously with Harper in the next elections.

As for the Liberals, they havent had a likeable leader since Chretien's departure and it's gonna take them some time (probably 4+ years) to rebuild the party from the ground up. Ignatieff can now go back home and lecture about how torture is OK and continue to defend the Iraq war.
This.

Bob Rae should be the next leader of the liberal party

Disappointing. But hopefully things are ok. Have to see what this means for the internet (UBB and transparency), social programs (planned parenthood, healthcare etc) and the new criminal laws (who is he going to fill the super prisons with? which in other places have a tendency to INCREASE crime rate..) and other issues.

It is messed up how a decrease in the popular vote can give you a majority government. Like what the? I think we should be focusing on vote reform.. but sadly Harper does not have that as a goal.

But still congrats to Elizabeth May, Jack Layton and Stephen Harper. Pretty crazy election. Feel bad for Iggy. He is so intelligent but just can't do it in politics I guess.

Disappointing. But hopefully things are ok. Have to see what this means for the internet (UBB and transparency), social programs (planned parenthood, healthcare etc) and the new criminal laws (who is he going to fill the super prisons with? which in other places have a tendency to INCREASE crime rate..) and other issues.

It is messed up how a decrease in the popular vote can give you a majority government. Like what the? I think we should be focusing on vote reform.. but sadly Harper does not have that as a goal.

But still congrats to Elizabeth May, Jack Layton and Stephen Harper. Pretty crazy election. Feel bad for Iggy. He is so intelligent but just can't do it in politics I guess.

Not picking on NL
1. Ontario has 106 seats in the House of Commons, whereas Newfoundland and Labrador has 7.
2. Ontario is currently a "have not" province.

Not picking on NL
1. Ontario has 106 seats in the House of Commons, whereas Newfoundland and Labrador has 7.
2. Ontario is currently a "have not" province.

Back
Top Bottom