Cancun Help

What's up NT?

I'm planning a trip to Cancun for next month, and I have a couple of questions for any of you who have gone.

Which are the best resorts to stay at?

The best spots etc.

Also, what is there to do there besides the obvious (beach, pools, bars). Share some stories. 

Thanks.

I stayed at the Hilton and Omni in Cancun. Would recommend both.

Señor Frog's.

Jet Ski.

Local food (real tacos). Shopping, flea market style.

I stayed at the Hilton and Omni in Cancun. Would recommend both.

Señor Frog's.

Jet Ski.

Local food (real tacos). Shopping, flea market style.
As far as the ocean, how is it?

I'm TERRIFIED of the ocean, so I just assume the water there is super infested with these huge sharks and ****. 

You could take tours to different ruins.

I didn't really like Cancun though. It was basically like taking a trip to any American city with a beach, since 90% of the people there are American tourists

I would recommend passing on Cancun, and hit up Playa del Carmen instead. Cancun is cool if you want to experience the "club" scene like you can get in LA/Miami/Vegas. PDC is only 40 minutes from the airport Cancun. I stayed at the Riu palace riviera maya - http://www.riu.com/en/Paises/mexico/playa-del-carmen/hotel-riu-palace-riviera-maya/index.jsp#9

It's all inclusive, but the food, service, and the beach is AMAZING. I never stay at the same hotel twice when traveling, but I will definitely be back there.

You could take tours to different ruins.

I didn't really like Cancun though. It was basically like taking a trip to any American city with a beach, since 90% of the people there are American tourists
When I was there a few years back I came across a lot more tourist from the UK than the U.S. Met a lot of British girls, they were pretty ehh though.

I'd definitely check out some of the ruins, jet skiing was fun as hell and I don't even **** with the ocean like that. We jet skied out to a reef and snorkeled, I think the water is too warm for most sharks. 

The number one recommendation I'd make is to venture a few miles up or down the main strip and check out some of the clubs the locals go to. Guaranteed attention and yambs if you're good looking. 

Don't do any of the coke or pills offered to you every time you step out onto the street, don't smoke any dro unless you want a headache, and don't get too faded it's easy to find yourself in a sketchy situation. 

Last edited:
Honestly, go to cabo. Probably the last "safe" spot in Mexico.

Friends went to cancun couple months back and had a horrible time. Stick-ups, police shake down..ALL BAD.

I would recommend passing on Cancun, and hit up Playa del Carmen instead. Cancun is cool if you want to experience the "club" scene like you can get in LA/Miami/Vegas. PDC is only 40 minutes from the airport Cancun. I stayed at the Riu palace riviera maya - http://www.riu.com/en/Paises/mexico/playa-del-carmen/hotel-riu-palace-riviera-maya/index.jsp#9

It's all inclusive, but the food, service, and the beach is AMAZING. I never stay at the same hotel twice when traveling, but I will definitely be back there.

I stayed at the dreams all inclusive. It was amazing. Now this was ap 5 years ago but I think we paid 4k for 3 people everything included for 9 days. I had the time of my life. Get friendly with one of the hotel workers and ask them for a cheap party boat type thing that goes to isla de Mujeres. Dude I had the time of my life on tha boat. If I remember correctly it was $50 and it was all you can drink. Went to a private beach, ate then we had an hour on isla de las Mujeres. I walked around chatted with the locals and had the best torta of my life in this small house that they converted into a restaurant. It was amai I paid like 2 bucks for it.

All I reccomend you do is try to bring everything you need because they will rape you for small things like sandals etc. ALWAYS NEGOTIATE EVERYTHING.
And make sure you save some money for duty free on the way back :smile:

If you need anything else feel free to pm me

Forgot to mention learn how to take the buses. It's cheap ( like 4 pesos) and you can ride as long as u want. All you have to do is read the signs on the bus and you can take a bus from hotel to a market place a little out of the way that is super cheap. If you're lost just ask a local. They'll happily help you out.

Forgot to mention learn how to take the buses. It's cheap ( like 4 pesos) and you can ride as long as u want. All you have to do is read the signs on the bus and you can take a bus from hotel to a market place a little out of the way that is super cheap. If you're lost just ask a local. They'll happily help you out.
See, this is the part that seems like a no-no to me.

I've heard too many damn stories about these cartels shooting up and kidnapping people on buses. Is it safe down there?

Cancun is amazing and fun esp if you like to party and drink! Make sure you go to senior frogs and my favorite club there is Coco Bongos its soo fun also they have a mall there with like high end stores and def check out the big flea market and if you can do a snorkeling day trip which ends up being an all you can drink on a boat trip! and if your not completely sold on cancun look into cabo san lucas which is also an amazing time but i find to be more expensive ive done both 

i went for my honeymoon in june 2011 and we stayed at crystal in cancun and we loved it !! its right in the downtown were all the clubs and bars are at. i liked it because you can walk around at night with no problem.. isla mujieres is a must when you go i suggest not doing the tour to the island because the privet beach isnt all that IMO of course i would have rather just taken the fairy and spend the whole day there.. you gotta go to xel-ha you would have a blast !! also the pyramids and ruins is a good thing to visit

See, this is the part that seems like a no-no to me.

I've heard too many damn stories about these cartels shooting up and kidnapping people on buses. Is it safe down there?

Cartels aren't going to bug a tourist. It doesn't work that way. And cancun is one of the biggest tourist destinations in Mexico, there a heavy police and military presence. Picture it like Hawaii. You know they aren't going to allow anything crazy to pop off there.

Cartels aren't going to bug a tourist. It doesn't work that way. And cancun is one of the biggest tourist destinations in Mexico, there a heavy police and military presence. Picture it like Hawaii. You know they aren't going to allow anything crazy to pop off there.

That kind of thinking can get you caught with your guard down.

They're out there, in Cancun, it's not all sweet.

I had an incident with two cartel members, it could have been really really ugly.

Last edited:
Damn 5-8k? You should spend that money on a sick new snowmobile and go shred some mountains brah.

Damn 5-8k? You should spend that money on a sick new snowmobile and go shred some mountains brah.
You ain't accustomed to going through customs
You ain't been nowhere, hah?

IMO, traveling is something everyone should do. No need to spend THAT much cause I've been to countries for 2-3k for week stay all inclusive of tickets/tours/food/lodging.

You ain't accustomed to going through customs

You ain't been nowhere, hah?

IMO, traveling is something everyone should do. No need to spend THAT much cause I've been to countries for 2-3k for week stay all inclusive of tickets/tours/food/lodging.
I got you. I've done some traveling and while I plan on doing more. At this point though, I'd prefer to spend my extra income on durable goods which would open doors and enable outdoor recreation. I'd say being out in nature getting adrenaline boosts is more fun than just traveling for its sake. Plus, traveling to a all inclusive beach resort in Mexico to go on a couple bottled tours and drink with bunch of tourists isn't really "traveling" to me.

Chichen Itza - It's the Mayan ruins - need to hit this one day.

Catamaran tour - like someone mentioned all you can drink and it was a blast. Just depend on your group, but my group was awesome. They also do snorkeling in between trips.

Get away from the tourist spot and hit the local town, I enjoyed myself mingling with the locals, eating their food and paying next to nothing for everything.

Take a trip down the Rivera Maya and end up in Talum they also have some Mayan Ruins and they have a crazy hot hotel down there that you can do everything you can think of.

Zip-line - it's a good time, but not a must.

Get a all-inclusive hotel - My wife and I use to come back at 4-5am ordering the full bar every night, plus more alcohol.

Lastly 

Party - Party - Party

Went 5+ years ago. Stayed at the Hyatt Regency near the end of the hotel zone, it was really nice.

Visit Xel ha. it was a really fun, they've got nnorkeling, bike riding, all inclusive food [including alcohol.] (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...l_Ha_Park-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html). Id Also throw Chichen Itza on there since it a world heritage site although I didnt go.

Overall I had fun but it really depends on what you want out of it. Do you want a relaxing vacation on the beach to just chill or a beach and club scene? If the latter I'd suggest what caleekicks said and stay over in Playa del Carmen and visit Cancun once or twice.

But also for 5-8k you could go to a much more exotic less touristy spot than Cancun and live like a boss for a week imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom