Cannabis Use During Adolescence Causes Schizophrenia? (Study)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120508112748.htm

ScienceDaily (May 8, 2012) — New research from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) published in Nature's Neuropsychopharmacology has shown physical changes to exist in specific brain areas implicated in schizophrenia following the use of cannabis during adolescence. The research has shown how cannabis use during adolescence can interact with a gene, called the COMT gene, to cause physical changes in the brain.

The COMT gene provides instructions for making enzymes which breakdown a specific chemical messenger called dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps conduct signals from one nerve cell to another, particularly in the brains reward and pleasure centres. Adolescent cannabis use and its interaction with particular forms of the COMT gene have been shown to cause physical changes in the brain as well as increasing the risk of developing schizophrenia.

Dr

word, I know a lot of paranoid potheads.
I think it takes trauma of some sort for schizohrenia to exist, a brain impaired doesn't help.

I've been conducting similar research since my adolescence and my experiments have given me contradictory results.

Will submit my data to the Royal College of Surgeons.

Any drug use can have adverse effects on the brain during adolescence.

Why are they wasting money to scientifically back things that common sense has been telling us for free?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Yeah

Why are they wasting money to scientifically back things that common sense has been telling us for free?
roll.gif

Common sense doesn't tell you anything about the effects of chemicals on brain development.

This kind of study will be used to determine legal smoking age in the near future.

Paranoia is common with some weed smokers...i believe it stems from the fear of getting caught with something illegal and having to deal with the consequences. I started when I was 13 on and off and dove deeper into the MMJ culture when I was 20....cannibis effects everyone differently tho...we dont all function the same.

Originally Posted by SOFA KING AWSM

Paranoia is common with some weed smokers...i believe it stems from the fear of getting caught with something illegal and having to deal with the consequences. I started when I was 13 on and off and dove deeper into the MMJ culture when I was 20....cannibis effects everyone differently tho...we dont all function the same.

This.

roll.gif

so what are all of the adverse mental effects caused when a child of 14 is administered controlled daily dosages of heroine? cocaine? opium?
at what age do we expect these effects to cause permanent damage? to what severity are these effects?

cmon, common sense.

this is ridiculous. honestly the popularity of weed in itself is crazy.

everywhere i go someone somewhere someplace reeks of weed, in various flavors.

they need to just legalize it, get over their agenda against it, and carry on.

if this were true theres gonna be millions of schizophrenics.

Your title is false and misleading.  Using weed isn't going to CAUSE Schizophrenia.  There might be an association but no causal relationship.  People with latent mental illness who use drugs may exacerbate underlying symptoms e.g. paranoia but it won't cause them to be ill.

Originally Posted by GRyPR33

roll.gif

Common sense doesn't tell you anything about the effects of chemicals on brain development.

This kind of study will be used to determine legal smoking age in the near future.
boom, dead on.

Originally Posted by PatentBoy23

Your title is false and misleading.  Using weed isn't going to CAUSE Schizophrenia.  There might be an association but no causal relationship.  People with latent mental illness who use drugs may exacerbate underlying symptoms e.g. paranoia but it won't cause them to be ill.
My thoughts exactly......and smoking is an illegal activity which can definitely help with the paranoia.
I also know a lot of overly anxious people who smoke to relax themselves, so I don't necessarily buy the whole "cannabis cause schizophrenia research", even if it just for adolescents.

I can def see how marijuana usage for adolescents especially those with latent potential to become adult schizophrenics can be true.

It parallels the depersonalization syndromes MJ users feel.

MJ causing schizophrenia is a reach.

I don't doubt it. I'm bat ##%% crazy these days and all I can do is smoke to silence the voices and dreams until better income rolls around...like...dead serious tho. It scares me.

Originally Posted by NORCALHUSSLA

any drug used during a time when a young person is still developing is not a good idea.
This. I always tell the lil homies to wait until they're at least 18 before they mess with ANYTHING. Learn from my mistakes. Mind-altering chemicals shouldn't be used while the brain is developing imo.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by PatentBoy23

My thoughts exactly......and smoking is an illegal activity which can definitely help with the paranoia.
I also know a lot of overly anxious people who smoke to relax themselves, so I don't necessarily buy the whole "cannabis cause schizophrenia research", even if it just for adolescents.

Back
Top Bottom