Car Advice: Vol. 1999 Nissan Altima vs. 2002 Ford Focus

I have a 1999 Nissan Altima with 145,000 miles.  I haven't had any major problems with it, replaced the radiator 2.5 years ago, and I need to fix a leaking valve cover, but otherwise it has been extremely reliable, and I only really need it to drive ~30 miles a week.
My wife's dad just bought a 328i, and they want to give us their 2002 Ford Focus that it is replacing.  The Focus has 62,000 miles.

I know that the Altima has way more miles, but all my research indicates that the Altima has a way more bullet proof and reliable engine, transmission, and just better overall quality.

So......

Keep the Altima?  Take the Focus?

metrocard.jpg

nah, stick with the Altima.

used to have a 2000 focus, and it had problem after problem after problem, dont take the focus

keep the altima, it's going to be more reliable than the focus even with your mileage as long as you take care of it.

The Focus has way more life left in it. I say take the Focus. I'm sure your wife's old man kept that car maintained well.

Can't keep both...if I decide on one car, the other goes to a cousin.

The responses here have pretty much confirmed my decision, that is to keep the Altima. The Altima is a second car anyway...we also have a 2008 Prius that my wife commutes to work with (~200 miles / week). I live 1.5 miles from my work.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

If the Focus was maintained well and you know it runs good i say take that. Thats a big mileage difference so if it's running well i say go with the Focus.

Back
Top Bottom