Car dealerships question. Vol: Bend but don't break.

How far will a dealer drop a car price if you have cash in hand.

For example...

2011 Camaro: $21K

But you have $15-17K

How likely is it for a dealer to give such a discount. I know dealers love that upfront money because it's guaranteed.

Any advice is welcomed.

I was personally thinking they'd be willing to haggle close to 17-18K. But who knows.

They really dont like cash that much cause when you pay cahs and not financing they aren't making that extra money on interest

19k could be possible but then again it just depends on dealer

I'd think they would however depending on whether they get commission in full right away. I have no idea however.

Use truecar.com to and start dealing from there. Know a few people who've saved at least 2.5-3K by using the site to name their starting point.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

I know dealers love that upfront money because it's guaranteed.
Dealers would prefer you to finance so they can make interest off your %@$

And they want you to default so they can keep the cash and repo the car

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by RKO2004

I know dealers love that upfront money because it's guaranteed.
Dealers would prefer you to finance so they can make interest off your %@$

And they want you to default so they can keep the cash and repo the car

Well financing through them probably wont be an option. I'd rather come in with money and pay my price vs theirs.

Dealerships can be thirsty from what I've heard to get cars off the lot. Yeah they wont make that extra 5K from financing plus they'll lose a little more by haggling, but $17K straight up would be hard to turn down, wouldn't it?

For a little background story. I plan to purchase a car in June/July. I'm 90% sold on getting a Chevy Malibu. But I'm also keeping 10% open just to be sure. In all honesty, I'll probably in all likelihood go with the Malibu. The flex fuel option is a nice addition. It's much cheaper and easier to obtain. Plus I love the look of it. But the Camaro is a damn cool car.

i remember reading a while back on NT of dude who previously worked at a dealership. as he explained it, there's actually a decently exact science to the entire haggling process, and a certain number (% of some ++%@ invoice i dont know) that they aren't willing to go below.

hoping someone who has experience working in a car dealership chimes in here, i'd love to hear

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

i remember reading a while back on NT of dude who previously worked at a dealership. as he explained it, there's actually a decently exact science to the entire haggling process, and a certain number (% of some ++%@ invoice i dont know) that they aren't willing to go below.

hoping someone who has experience working in a car dealership chimes in here, i'd love to hear

I remember that but with the search feature it'd take forever.

Someone else who has this knowledge would be great.

Funny this thread came up. My friend just bought a 2011 Camaro for $17k off the lot. After haggling of course and NO cosign.

First of all, know how much the dealer paid for the car.  You can start haggling from there.

You also likely won't be able to haggle a great price on a car with a lot of demand since they can always get someone else to pay more.

If you're planning to buy in June, try waiting until the end of July.  They will not only be more motivated to get the old inventory off the lot but will also need to meet their end of the month goals as well.

Lastly, you'll get the best discount from a used car since they typically build in a $4-5K margin in their purchase price so go in with that knowledge in hand.

wouldnt knowing the price that the dealer paid be a factor...some deals have more profit built in- sometimes they are willing to make minimal profit to move the inventory and get new stuff in- its all gonna depend on the type of dealership, time in the sales cycle, and what they got the car for

No questions asked they would take that you arent asking a lot lol. And to those saying they dont want to deal with cash lol the dealers dont do the financing they dont get interest unless you go to a buy here pay here and I dont think he is.

Dealers dont care about upfront me. I bought my 2011 Camaro for 37,000 out the door. And put 17K down on it, and they barely budged. Reason being they knew I wanted the car. But nonetheless best purchase I made in 2011.

Ya'll are joking - I seen my boy go into Nissan with 18k and demand a new Maxima - everyone laughed at first but he kept the stoneface and basically sat down there till they agreed.. 

If OP or anyone else needs car buying advice let me know. Im a General Manager of 2 Franchise Auto dealerships. Send me a PM with any questions bro I'd be happy to help out..

Originally Posted by dboulders

If OP or anyone else needs car buying advice let me know. Im a General Manager of 2 Franchise Auto dealerships. Send me a PM with any questions bro I'd be happy to help out..

Would you mind divulging the info here for all of us to share? 
Cmon bro.. I thought we were bros bro..

Originally Posted by MrBrown

They really dont like cash that much cause when you pay cahs and not financing they aren't making that extra money on interest
there you go...

bad example because camaro's are popular. cash isnt always king. they are going below $20k probably not even dropping the price at all.

financing they make money, cash they dont.

Show him the money. Seriously, you show him you have the cash ready he will def try and make a deal. Yes financing is a dealerships way of making money but thats over a certain amount of time and they have to go through a bank and there are more steps. If you show him you're serious and have the cash I think you should be fine. You have to remember "dealership" & "prep" fee's range from $1,000-$3,000 and thats a BS way of them to charge you extra.

I bought a 05 Acura TL that was valued over $18K for $15K cash few years back

Also when spending over $10K, they'll make you sign a form and it has to get reported by the Dealerships finance manager, Prior to dropping $10K + speak with him I'm sure he'll find a way to get around that. The one I dealt with was pretty cool about it.

It's really on a case by case basis and sometimes you have to be there at the right time and day to get a great deal. Not all cars are priced the same either, for example a Porsche has a lower mark-up compared to other vehicles so most dealerships aren't willing to give too much discount and makes their money off services such as oil changes, maintenance work, etc... Then there's the demand and availability. Obviously if the car is in demand but with low stock, discount will be close to impossible and if you want the car, you might have to pay more like when the GTR first came out.

If OP is looking at a Chevy Malibu, then demand probably won't be a problem. They should be pretty lenient with discount on that car too, just be patient and be ready to walk out if you don't get the price you want.

yall still buy chevys like that though? Chevys are made to last 5 years and then they fall apart. If i were set on buying an "american" car, i would buy ford before i touched chevy. That company is full of scumbags, and they took a buyout from our government and killed the city i live in. You being from cincinnati should know how bad the dayton area is now after they shut down up here.

son if u already have 17k cash just save up a lil more to 20k cash and cop it

Back
Top Bottom