Car mechanics check in please....... Vol. A/C not working.

So i have a 2005 chevy impala and all of a sudden my A/C stopped working. My heater works damn well but when i switch the climate control to cool it justdosent switch over. I hit the A/C button and nothing. I also had it recharged but still didn't work. What can possibly be wrong? I need to get this fixedquick because its damn hot out here in So Cal. Thanks in advance.

maybe you ran out of freon?

either that or there is a leak, causing the pressure in the tank to be too low. the latter would suck, but if it's freon you can just buy a new can and DIY

when i had it recharged with freon the guy told me there was no leak. he actually told me that it didnt need much freon because there was still much of it inthere.

since were on the topic of car repair... my car has a few thigns wrong with it if anyone can help, thanks in advance

1) the cigarette lightr doesn't work. i have no idea why? any chargers don't charge at all, and the little cigarette lighter insert thing doesn'twarm up =/

2) my emergency brake light stays on even if its off, any ideas why, or how i can change it. i know for a fact the brake is off when it stays on

any help is appreciated!

You might need a new A/C Condenser
Do you think it could be the condensor? What about the Compressor? Not sure if this helps but, when the A/C button is pressed and turned on, Inoticed that the outer part of the clutch on the compressor does not spin, and i noticed on my other car that it does.

Originally Posted by Lemonade41

05 imp = autofail
indifferent.gif

Strange, I dont remember him asking for opinions on his car.

Have your a/c compressor checked out.
Thank you.... And no i haven't yet. But everyone I ask usually says it's the compressor. First mechanic I took it to swore it needed to berecharged. He charged me $80 to recharge it and it turned out, that wasn't the problem, second guy told me it was the climate control. I buy The controland that also didn't fix the problem.

%!!$%*! mechanics
smh.gif
That's why when you find a good one you hold onto them like you would your last dollar.

%!!$%*! mechanics
smh.gif
That's why when you find a good one you hold onto them like you would your last dollar.

That is exactly why I came here, hoping to get a better idea or answer. Thanks for all your responses so far everyone.

I hate these cars, but like everyone else is saying AC compressor. Pretty much just about everyone I know with a newbody imp has had something majorly wrongwith the car. Thats why I said autofail, and don't get me started on the other reason the car is autofail. Get the compressor and ull likely b straight

does it blow hot air for heat even when you have it set for cold air? or does it just blow lukewarm air? if its blowing only hot air it sounds like you'vegot a problem with the blend door motor not switching between the heat and cold air. when u turn on the a/c, do you hear the compressor kick on but it stilldoesn't blow cold? i think its either the compressor or blend motor. a competent mechanic should be able to give u a proper diagnosis without having totear your car apart or charge od $$

i'll never understand why people make these sort of threads...how's about just going to a mechanic buddy? not like you could send any of us the car viae-mail to check it out in our bedrooms.
smh.gif

I'm not a mechanic, but I know cars.

You either have a leak, the control module for your automatic fans is broken/fans are shot, or a combination of both.
You mechanic should test for a leak with the dyed freon combination first. The leak will show up under a blacklight. If the leak is very minor, he/she can
use a solution called stop leak that will plug the leak without having to replace any hoses. If the leak is too big, then you are going to have to replace afew
hoses.
The worst case is that you entire fan unit is broken. These are the fans that turn on when you are driving at low speeds and force cool air into the car.
Depending on your car and if the units are still in production, it can get extremely expensive with parts and labor charges.

Just hope that your mechanic is honest.

Originally Posted by ZEEN1NE

i'll never understand why people make these sort of threads...how's about just going to a mechanic buddy? not like you could send any of us the car via e-mail to check it out in our bedrooms.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by kalikid23

%!!$%*! mechanics
smh.gif

ZEEN1NE the door's that way ----->
Anyway, I've been havin the same problem. The AC is turned on but its blowing lukewarm/hot air. I didn't wanna take it to the mechanic just yet, causehe'll prolly charge me $$$ for some BS.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Originally Posted by ZEEN1NE

i'll never understand why people make these sort of threads...how's about just going to a mechanic buddy? not like you could send any of us the car via e-mail to check it out in our bedrooms.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by kalikid23

%!!$%*! mechanics
smh.gif

ZEEN1NE the door's that way ----->
Anyway, I've been havin the same problem. The AC is turned on but its blowing lukewarm/hot air. I didn't wanna take it to the mechanic just yet, cause he'll prolly charge me $$$ for some BS.

indifferent.gif

charge you money for some BS? your the one sitting in some BS with a car with no A/C .. but complain about it. You don't want to pay to get it fixed?..donteven mention it. BUT HEY! hearing what we have to say will deff fix the problem right? RIIIGHT. Good luck finding ANYONE who will fix your "BS" at nocharge.

does it blow hot air for heat even when you have it set for cold air? or does it just blow lukewarm air? if its blowing only hot air it sounds like you've got a problem with the blend door motor not switching between the heat and cold air. when u turn on the a/c, do you hear the compressor kick on but it still doesn't blow cold? i think its either the compressor or blend motor. a competent mechanic should be able to give u a proper diagnosis without having to tear your car apart or charge od $$
The car blows hot air like if the heater was on when turned to cold. Im sure there is no leak. The funny thing is, a few times i would just leavethe knob turned to cold and all of a sudden it would start shooting out cold air and when i would turn it off and turn it back on, it would go back to hot air.It did this a few times before it finally gave out. I don't hear anything when the a/c button is pushed neither

mextra!!!!

i [emoji]9829[/emoji] you no mo!!!

the fuse thing worked for the cigarette lighter.

once question tho. i was supposed to use a 15W fuse, but they only carried 10W or 20W

i went with the 10W to be safe, did i make the right choice? would 20W been better?

Back
Top Bottom