Career advice....

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by HigherGround

Never go into Finance, it is dull, uninteresting, and tends to attract people with the same personality.
hahaha way to stereotype an entire industry that you know nothing about.

I work in finance and I love what I do.  I am constantly being challenged to use my brain which is very stimulating and fulfilling.  I wont go as far to say its for everyone, but its ignorant to say that the entire industry is "dull, uninteresting, and tends to attract people with the same personality".  I dont want to go into too much detail (not that im secretive about what I do, but it would just be long winded), but I work in the sub-prime sector as an underwriter.  It is a constant battle and is like a game to me, as I have applicants trying to manipulate, lie, cheat, whatever to try and get me to approve their deal.  Its my job to vete out what is BS, what is real, determine whether they are a good credit risk, determine how much I can lend, and then ultimately putting that deal together.  Its a cat/mouse game everyday.  I don't know how that could be considered dull or mundane.

edit:

^^ but having a degree is mutually exlusive from having the proper license to sell insurance.  He would still have to go through the process of studying the material and taking the proper exams to get licensed.   
laugh.gif

I work on the opposite end of your spectrum and UWs can be such a hassle sometimes. I try not to send my loans to one company because the UW that always gets my files is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
mad.gif

I'm assuming you UW mortgages? I always thought it would be kinda interesting to be an underwriter for bigger construction/commercial loans though.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by HigherGround

Never go into Finance, it is dull, uninteresting, and tends to attract people with the same personality.
hahaha way to stereotype an entire industry that you know nothing about.

I work in finance and I love what I do.  I am constantly being challenged to use my brain which is very stimulating and fulfilling.  I wont go as far to say its for everyone, but its ignorant to say that the entire industry is "dull, uninteresting, and tends to attract people with the same personality".  I dont want to go into too much detail (not that im secretive about what I do, but it would just be long winded), but I work in the sub-prime sector as an underwriter.  It is a constant battle and is like a game to me, as I have applicants trying to manipulate, lie, cheat, whatever to try and get me to approve their deal.  Its my job to vete out what is BS, what is real, determine whether they are a good credit risk, determine how much I can lend, and then ultimately putting that deal together.  Its a cat/mouse game everyday.  I don't know how that could be considered dull or mundane.

edit:

^^ but having a degree is mutually exlusive from having the proper license to sell insurance.  He would still have to go through the process of studying the material and taking the proper exams to get licensed.   
laugh.gif

I work on the opposite end of your spectrum and UWs can be such a hassle sometimes. I try not to send my loans to one company because the UW that always gets my files is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
mad.gif

I'm assuming you UW mortgages? I always thought it would be kinda interesting to be an underwriter for bigger construction/commercial loans though.

equipment leases actually.  specializing in heavy construction equipment (yellow iron) and transportation equipment (over the road tractors, trailers, etc...).  you wouldnt believe how many contractors/construction company owners there are out there who gross millions yet they cant figure out how to pay their stupid cell phone bill, car payment, mortgage, or anything on time and therefore have sub 500 credit. 

i take it you're a broker of some sort?  i have this hate/hate relationship with my brokers hahahaha.  like cmon man, how difficult is it to package an application? since 99% of my business is broker driven, I cant tell em how I really feel.  Just gotta shut my mouth, smile, and basically say "thank you sir may i have another"

Back
Top Bottom