Chappelle. A Tribe Called Quest. SNL. 11/12...Seriously

I was surprised NBC let the N-bombs fly like that
mean.gif
Me too. No edits or beeps at all. I'm glad they didn't do it either.

And I agree, SNL the past ten years have been hit or miss. I really only tune in when a returning cast member comes back to host or if a celebrity that I like hosts the show. But even then, those episodes end up being a show full of cameos from past cast members and their infamous characters they portrayed.

I'm starting to open up to the Weekend Update team of Michael Che and Colin Jost...But I did like Cecily Strong...Something about her that I find attractive lol.

Its just hard ro reinvent the comedic wheel. Andy Samberg and his crew offered a fresh start post Will Ferrell and things just fell into place. Now the show just doesn't have an identity

Its just hard ro reinvent the comedic wheel. Andy Samberg and his crew offered a fresh start post Will Ferrell and things just fell into place. Now the show just doesn't have an identity
The second he left (and one or two others) that's when the show dipped in quality again and even before that they were not matching the comedy of the Ferrell and co. days.

SNL need another Eddie Murphy era. Too bad funny ppl have so many more avenues to success.

I watch SNL all the time for years now. Naturally ratings go up when it's political season and they bring their A game. Alec Baldwin as Trump for this season when last season is was a cast member. Larry David helping out as well. The writing of the show has steadily gotten better because there was a dip in quality. They couldn't just rely on what few star cast members to carry each skit. Kenan has been there since '03 (I believe, might be a stretch) but he holds skits together. as well as Kate. Not many female members are up to get in the nitty gritty of playing characters. If you don't watch it frequently it can be shown with the judge eating the orange whatever and making out kinda gross with Dave this week. She won the emmy for a reason.

And the people who get the jobs as cast members now are grabbed from different backgrounds that really don't relate to what the show requires. I was so juiced when Kyle Mooney got on as a temp first and now a permanent member because he was a YouTube star with not the biggest following but a kind of humour certain people only understand. unlike Jay Pharaoh who was a comedian in the NYC circuit as well as Pete Davidson. Cecily Strong has been a solid member for years and her background is of improv and comedy skits of the sorts in a comedy group she was a part of. Performed at universities and festivals. Those work but it falls flat when you see a skit performed that is playing to the strengths of Kyle (for example) and is a throwback to his Youtube videos but doesn't generate much laughs.

The original one he made years ago

newer one from this year

The second he left (and one or two others) that's when the show dipped in quality again and even before that they were not matching the comedy of the Ferrell and co. days.

SNL need another Eddie Murphy era. Too bad funny ppl have so many more avenues to success.
Another thing is that the show alternates with times in which the show has good writing, and when the show such as good performers such as Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, and the likes. Right now, the show doesn't have those performers, they need better writers.

Oh man, Kyle Mooney is insanely not funny. I get he has a specific type of humor he goes for I just find no humor in it.

So bad. Especially when he started doing the shorts as a replacement for Andy :x :stoneface: :smh:

I just noticed after seing his name mentioned that Jay Pharoah is no longer on the show :smh: I want to say he was there last season. Oh well.

That background for how they're choosing new cast members is on point as well. They're experimenting more. Although to me a lot of the white guys are not unique enough to stand out even when they get the chances. They dropped the ball not letting Pete Davidson talk his **** weekly :lol:

Writing is a whole other problem.

Last edited:
well you answered your own Kyle question there lol.

Jay got a new show coming on with a famous comedian I can't remember who. He said it on the breakfast show in an interview lately.

Oh man, Kyle Mooney is insanely not funny. I get he has a specific type of humor he goes for I just find no humor in it.

So bad. Especially when he started doing the shorts as a replacement for Andy :x :stoneface: :smh:

I just noticed after seing his name mentioned that Jay Pharoah is no longer on the show :smh: I want to say he was there last season. Oh well.

That background for how they're choosing new cast members is on point as well. They're experimenting more. Although to me a lot of the white guys are not unique enough to stand out even when they get the chances. They dropped the ball not letting Pete Davidson talk his **** weekly :lol:

Writing is a whole other problem.

Mikey day is funny af on Wild n Out. I know they won't let him shine on SNL tho

Kyle mooney is a great comedy writer. He has material it's his delivery. He's great for commentary but his stand up isn't for everyone

when they getting people from wild n out you know SNL is on the way down.
that mikey day dude is not funny.

They really over hyping that kate actress when cecily strong has been funnier through out the seasons.

well you answered your own Kyle question there lol.

Jay got a new show coming on with a famous comedian I can't remember who. He said it on the breakfast show in an interview lately.
Jamie Foxx I think

But Wild N Out is the corniest show on television

That show was very funny until they started overproducing it, and bringing on every YouTube/twitter/vine comedian they can find. That type of comedy doesn't always translate well in front of an audience

As a regular SNL viewer, this ep with Chappelle is one of the best episodes of this decade. If not the best. The reason why this episode in particular worked so well, is because Dave does not abide by PC rules when it comes to his comedy. He was given free reign to say what he wanted.  To his credit Lorine Michaels didn't put any restrictions on Dave. So that monologue was Dave at his rawest. I think much to it's detriment, SNL tries too hard to play it safe when it comes to their brand of comedy. 

That show was very funny until they started overproducing it, and bringing on every YouTube/twitter/vine comedian they can find. That type of comedy doesn't always translate well in front of an audience
It was cool in it's first run. I don't watch it now that they brought it back.

As a regular SNL viewer, this ep with Chappelle is one of the best episodes of this decade. If not the best. The reason why this episode in particular worked so well, is because Dave does not abide by PC rules when it comes to his comedy. He was given free reign to say what he wanted.  To his credit Lorine Michaels didn't put any restrictions on Dave. So that monologue was Dave at his rawest. I think much to it's detriment, SNL tries too hard to play it safe when it comes to their brand of comedy. 

If Lorne would've stayed true to that program in the past, he would've landed two major comedic talents during and after the Eddie Murphy years: Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans...but NOPE. Rejected one, fired the other, and the FOX Network was forever grateful.

One problem I always had that imo showed when Lorne left and SNL was on its own is dude is not funny.

I really am not sure how good of a judge of comedic talent he is or the ppl around him.

dave said N**** and P***** but its Dave and he should do what he wants not to mention its his first TV appearance in how long?

That's why Comedy Central is way more appreciated to comics and whatever projects they green light. South Park once said that he thought a joke was too offensive and he had gotten backlash from viewers and they thought about apologising to the public whatever it was. CC said "No don't apologise. Because if you apologise for that joke you're going to have to apologise for everything deemed inappropriate past present future" and that's been CC since forever. safe haven for comics if you will.

dave said N**** and P***** but its Dave and he should do what he wants not to mention its his first TV appearance in how long?

That's why Comedy Central is way more appreciated to comics and whatever projects they green light. South Park once said that he thought a joke was too offensive and he had gotten backlash from viewers and they thought about apologising to the public whatever it was. CC said "No don't apologise. Because if you apologise for that joke you're going to have to apologise for everything deemed inappropriate past present future" and that's been CC since forever. safe haven for comics if you will.
Rock and Seinfeld also refuse to perform at college campuses (bastions of frail feelings).

Comedians tell the truth in humorous, often "offensive" ways. A lot of people can't handle the truth though, so they immediately tried to censor comedy.

Last edited:
If Lorne would've stayed true to that program in the past, he would've landed two major comedic talents during and after the Eddie Murphy years: Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans...but NOPE. Rejected one, fired the other, and the FOX Network was forever grateful.
Well, to be fair SNL has outlasted all of it's competition combined. Yes, they've gone through periods where their cast and writers were subpar. But overall SNL has become an institution that has yet to be seriously challenged. 

Back
Top Bottom