Charles Stepney Appreciation (very appropriate for black history month)

I think its a damn shame that this man doesn't get much credit or recognition from his work.
For those of you that don't know, he happens to be one of the greatest producers of all time. Some might say HE IS THE GREATEST PRODUCER OF ALL TIME.
He's responsible for majority of the work from Minnie Riperton, The Dells, Terry Callier, Rotory Connection, Earth Wind & Fire, Phil Upchurch, Ramsey Lewis, and has been a huge influence on Elton John, J. Dilla, Common, and plenty others.

To be honest... I didn't know much about dude until I started listening to Terry Callier and Phil Upchurch and realized who was responsible for composing their songs.

Yeah I recognized his name from the Ramsey Lewis records I own.I didn't know he worked with so many greats though so he's definitely appreciated over here!

Yea man. Charles Stepney & Roy Ayers alone are the backbones that influenced hip-hop...
Most of the stuff thats sampled today came from their work.

I just wish they got the proper recognition for it.

YO! I recognize him from EW&F. But...
Originally Posted by kicksgetmehigh

Charles Stepney & Roy Ayers alone are the backbones that influenced hip-hop...

That distinction belongs to James Brown, in my humble opinion - but I dig where you're coming from.

I would imagine Stepney had a hand in The Emotions, too.

DF!!!

I love Roy Ayers man!
I agree AirAnt.James Brown is like the GOD of Hip Hop when you really think about it.
There are so many great producers/arrangers that cats should be up on though.

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO! I recognize him from EW&F. But...
Originally Posted by kicksgetmehigh

Charles Stepney & Roy Ayers alone are the backbones that influenced hip-hop...

That distinction belongs to James Brown, in my humble opinion - but I dig where you're coming from.

I would imagine Stepney had a hand in The Emotions, too.

DF!!!

AH DAMN!
You're right about that... I forgot all about James Brown.
These award shows need to pay more respect to the pioneers who originated & prefected their craft.

Back
Top Bottom