Chernobyl (HBO miniseries) - EP5 finale 'Vichnaya Pamyat' out now

Ep 2 picked up for real.

Just needed my mans Harris and Skarsgard to drive this calamity home.

The commitment and sacrifice. Fam was already resolved to his fate. Said oh we're dying in 5 years for sure but on some at least we can stop this.

The bigger threat caused by the sand made it sound like it really could've destroyed most of eastern Europe.

Last edited:
God
Damn this show is good. For so many reasons. 1st, I love waiting for the “I told you so” moments in the show.

Then, I love how they convey the feeling of the scientists knowing the stakes and the arrogant communist officials not knowing jack ****. Like when dude says, “yeah but we’ll be dead in 5 years.” And the gravity of the situation FINALLY hits ol dude. Love that. Most of the physicists BEEN known they were just walking corpses.

It’s crazy how the main character had to balance his responsibility of educating the masses and saving lives while also not pissing off the communist regime hell bent on keeping secrets.

I’m glad this show was made.

Also, the decision to not only speak English, but actual British-accented English was a good one. I assume most of the actors are British, except for Stellan (Swede).

1. People generally hate subtitles (I'm not one of them)
2. People hate bad accents (I am one of them)

It's jarring for about 10 minutes and then you're enveloped in the story and you forget about it. I've read tons of glowing reviews from former Soviet citizens that were alive during the disaster, either in Ukraine or other neighboring former satellites. Literally some of the biggest gripes were that some road signs had two languages rather than one :lol:

Episode 1 was good, but the way they shot it was almost like a dream sequence. I fell asleep the first time I tried watching it, watched it twice afterwards. Like Master Zik Master Zik said...I think once the two lead actors (and actress) entered the picture for the second episode, it was game time.

Episode 2 was an excellent hour of television. Took the bad taste out of my mouth from GoT.
Got took the bad taste out of my mouth from the sixers loss, then Chernobyl took the bad taste away from got. :lol: I been telling everyone to watch this joint

The show is dope. The way Ep 2 ended with their lights going out and hearing them panic was eerie af.

I like the after show podcasts since it gives them a chance to explain things I may have missed or tell us if something really happened/real person

I picked this show up after the GOT finale last night. Amazing :pimp:

One thing though...I don't mind the characters speaking in English (though I prefer them using the actual language), but really, with English accents as well? Why?

Last edited:
love this show, my wife had no clue that this was based on real life events and keep telling her what happened etc...the last episode she asked me if they were able to empty the water....i gave her the -_-

I picked this show up after the GOT finale last night. Amazing :pimp:

One thing though...I don't mind the characters speaking in English (though I prefer them using the actual language), but really, with English accents as well? Why?
Check out the first podcast they dropped if you want to hear it directly, but he basically said they tried to keep the accents and language authentic, but eventually realized that that can take away from performance if someone's trying to maintain a specific accent.

This way, people come off a lot more genuine. It's hard not to notice at first, but the story is so compelling I pretty much forgot that everyone had a different accent.:lol:
Series is great. Dyatlov (lead engineer who insisted everything was fine in Ep. 1) was dead wrong on everything.

The hubris they had at that time was crazy.

Those 3 dudes at the end of Ep 2 basically saved all of Europe
Made me want to look into communism a lot closer to try to understand the thought process that leads you to dismiss all reality even when it'd going to kill you. They were wildin'. Hubris is spot on.

Series is great. Dyatlov (lead engineer who insisted everything was fine in Ep. 1) was dead wrong on everything.

The hubris they had at that time was crazy.

Those 3 dudes at the end of Ep 2 basically saved all of Europe

They lied like a mofo to them guys saying they would get a +400 salary increase and they not gonna live to ever see that money.

Damn, the government keeps doing the volunteers dirtt. The Coal miners are risking eventual death, and all they get is "I don't know" when they ask if they'll be taken care of :smh:

Back
Top Bottom