Chromebook, Windows, MBP?? I'm due for an upgrade

Mokorider

formerly nosepiker
Besides there being a Mac, iPhone, Android thread, I couldn't find any up to date threads to post in, so please excuse me ahead of time for making a new thread.

Getting ready to retire this laptop as it crashes a lot and is slowly starting to overheat and reboot randomly, and currently on Windows (if it matters).

I've become more of a light user now due to work so, my only needs are browsing NT/google searching, paying bills, Spotify/YouTube/Netflix, Microsoft Word, file transferring from my phone or clouds, and a Prepware program to study for my FAA written exams.

Been reading up on these so far:

- 2016 MBP (have never used a MB)

- Microsoft's Surface Pro 4 (Been using Windows since XP)

- Chromebooks (Somewhat matches my needs and the price).

So seeking to know what experiences NT has had with any.

What advantages do Macs have? (somewhat curious to try out a new operating system) Also, besides leaning with the pricing on the Chromebooks, what am I really losing in comparison to a laptop?

Stay away from Chromebook. If you're buying it just for internet purposes, then that's fine. Due to lack of onboard storage is taking a chance. A lot of applications are not compatible to the OS. Including any Office modules. Also, I don't think you can even print from those things :lol:

Only reason the MBP is great is because of the hardware. You're paying premium price for it. I own a 2014 version.

Surface Pro, is a solid tablet/laptop. I absolutely love the windows 10. However just note that this is really not a laptop solution. Hence why they created the Surface Book. I own the Surface Pro 4 i7.

Please never buy an intel atom, m3 or core m. Put up the money and buy the i5 or i7. There's a huge performance difference.

My wife wanted a MBP until she tried my Surface for a week. She love doing her presentations on them. I'm actually buying her one this week.

Hopes this helps...

Last edited:
Stay away from Chromebook. If you're buying it just for internet purposes, then that's fine. Due to lack onboard storage is a chance. A lot of applications are not compatible to the OS. Including any Office product. Also, I don't think you can even print from those things
laugh.gif

Yeah my girl bought me a CB a couple years ago.

I only use it for movies and the internet when I'm out of town.

I'm pretty sure you can print off them though
laugh.gif

Out of those three choices I'd get the Macbook. Dell XPS 13 is a fantastic laptop too

You can definitely print off a Chromebook

I'm pretty much in the same situation as OP. I was thinking about it the other day and my laptop is already 7 years old! It works fine when I need it but it's damn slow at times. And it gets stupid hot too.

Last time I deal with HP :smh:

Lenovo makes some pretty good machines if you're used to a windows OS. I've had my MBP 15inch since 2011, upgraded the hard drive to an ssd and it runs like day 1. If you want to try a new os I suggest getting a 2013-2015 (whatever is in your budget) base model and upgrading the hard drive to an ssd. Also upgrade the ram to 8gb and you'll have yourself a machine that will last you a while for what you'll be using it for.

Lenovo makes some pretty good machines if you're used to a windows OS. I've had my MBP 15inch since 2011, upgraded the hard drive to an ssd and it runs like day 1. If you want to try a new os I suggest getting a 2013-2015 (whatever is in your budget) base model and upgrading the hard drive to an ssd. Also upgrade the ram to 8gb and you'll have yourself a machine that will last you a while for what you'll be using it for.
I think it is criminal they are still shipping laptops in 2016 with HDD's

^it's to keep costs down. 256-512gb ssd are still pretty expensive to begin with. Until ssd prices fall it will be a long time before all laptops ship with some ssd capacity.

I got a Dell XPS 13 a few months ago and absolutely love it with Windows 10. Previous laptop was a 7 year old Vaio running 7, iirc. Then had a desktop running 8, which I hated.

Imo, the XPS gives you the best bang for your buck.

I think it is criminal they are still shipping laptops in 2016 with HDD's

strong this

^it's to keep costs down. 256-512gb ssd are still pretty expensive to begin with. Until ssd prices fall it will be a long time before all laptops ship with some ssd capacity.

idk. a few years ago id totally agree with you, but nowadays a 256 is pretty affordable. i copped the samsung pro 256 for 120 i think, but for the money the performance is night and day.

Stay away from Chromebook. If you're buying it just for internet purposes, then that's fine. Due to lack of onboard storage is taking a chance. A lot of applications are not compatible to the OS. Including any Office modules. Also, I don't think you can even print from those things :lol:

Only reason the MBP is great is because of the hardware. You're paying premium price for it. I own a 2014 version.

Surface Pro, is a solid tablet/laptop. I absolutely love the windows 10. However just note that this is really not a laptop solution. Hence why they created the Surface Book. I own the Surface Pro 4 i7.

Please never buy an intel atom, m3 or core m. Put up the money and buy the i5 or i7. There's a huge performance difference.

My wife wanted a MBP until she tried my Surface for a week. She love doing her presentations on them. I'm actually buying her one this week.

Hopes this helps...

yea agreed. although i think microsoft has made full (more or less) word, power point and excel apps for android and chrome OS now supports all android apps, you'd be gucci for the kind of user you are. but for the money, windows is prolly a better move.

Besides there being a Mac, iPhone, Android thread, I couldn't find any up to date threads to post in, so please excuse me ahead of time for making a new thread.

Getting ready to retire this laptop as it crashes a lot and is slowly starting to overheat and reboot randomly, and currently on Windows (if it matters).

I've become more of a light user now due to work so, my only needs are browsing NT/google searching, paying bills, Spotify/YouTube/Netflix, Microsoft Word, file transferring from my phone or clouds, and a Prepware program to study for my FAA written exams.

Been reading up on these so far:

- 2016 MBP (have never used a MB)

- Microsoft's Surface Pro 4 (Been using Windows since XP)

- Chromebooks (Somewhat matches my needs and the price).

So seeking to know what experiences NT has had with any.

What advantages do Macs have? (somewhat curious to try out a new operating system) Also, besides leaning with the pricing on the Chromebooks, what am I really losing in comparison to a laptop?

for the money, windows is the best move. if you are gonna get the latest surface pro, then i can't really recommend a better option. only other places id look for bang for the buck is lenovo yoga, and the dell xps.

MBP is the mercedes benz of laptops. you are paying for the icloud integration and design and brand. apple is always overpriced to some extent when considering the hardware, but then again, they are usually unmatched in industrial design. plus you don't have to deal with "steve" from india for tech support, you could roll to apple store. if you have an iphone, you could also be balls deep in the apple ecosystem. apple is the only company that lets you use your laptop to text and make/answer phone calls seamlessly via your iphone.

actually you prolly could do that with windows phone but...its windows phone.

i will upgrade my laptop soon as it cannot hold a charge no matter how many new batteries i keep throwing at it. i have a MBP 2010. macs have the best touchpad period, and the OS is smooth. i still have lag cuz im a core 2 duo (niketalk runs terribly on my laptop lol), but 2016 macs are gonna be goku fast so im looking at that. its stil the best design and apple still seems to be on target with their battery life goals.

bottom line, either go surface pro or if the money isn't a big deal, check out the 2016 macbook pro without the touch bar. DO NOT buy the macbook, or macbook air.

Is the SSD upgrade as simple as using Disk Utility to clone the existing hard drive, then opening it up to pop in the new SSD? I'm curious to give this a shot, if it's worth the performance boost

Thinking about getting this for my wifes birthday, this week.  I do not know much about macs, but is this a good deal?  I know the hard drive is a little small but I wanted to keep it under 12-1300$ and I can always add an external HD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...-flash-storage-silver/8532557.p?skuId=8532557

not worth it at all. for about 100-200 more you could go thinner, lighter and faster. you are already paying 1200 and unless you cop in NH or delaware, you are gonna pay some tax too. if this laptop was like 800 or 900 or something, id say its a come up.

the biggest plus this version has tho over the new 2016 is the magsafe power adapter, and a couple of usb 3 ports. 2016 macs are usbC only...but that is the future, and i expect to see it on way more devices in the next few years. otherwise, for the money i'd go latest and greatest...

see if you can find it cheaper elsewhere and pricematch...

Is the SSD upgrade as simple as using Disk Utility to clone the existing hard drive, then opening it up to pop in the new SSD? I'm curious to give this a shot, if it's worth the performance boost

i would think so either way. i just did a fresh OS install and started from a clean slate when i upgraded. but even if u clone its gonna be way faster. the read times are dramatically reduced compared to 5400 or 7200 RPM HDD.

not worth it at all. for about 100-200 more you could go thinner, lighter and faster. you are already paying 1200 and unless you cop in NH or delaware, you are gonna pay some tax too. if this laptop was like 800 or 900 or something, id say its a come up.

the biggest plus this version has tho over the new 2016 is the magsafe power adapter, and a couple of usb 3 ports. 2016 macs are usbC only...but that is the future, and i expect to see it on way more devices in the next few years. otherwise, for the money i'd go latest and greatest...

i would think so either way. i just did a fresh OS install and started from a clean slate when i upgraded. but even if u clone its gonna be way faster. the read times are dramatically reduced compared to 5400 or 7200 RPM HDD.

I am buying in Delaware and I have a 50$ off coupon so it would be 1149 out the door.

What model would u go with that is lighter and faster for a few more bucks? My wife wants an apple so I'd like to stick with an apple machine.

I am buying in Delaware and I have a 50$ off coupon so it would be 1149 out the door.

What model would u go with that is lighter and faster for a few more bucks? My wife wants an apple so I'd like to stick with an apple machine.

i went to apple.com and i think i need to amend my previous opinion as i think i was biased in what i could live with. so i apologize. the cheapest mbp is 1300 . this includes 2 usbC ports (the only ports), 6th gen i5 at 3.1ghz max, 8gb ram and 128 PCIe flash storage. thinner and lighter, but same screen resolution as last gen macbook (what best buy is offering). i think the usbC ports make it a tough buy for most people so the last gen mac best buy option is the better move...

HOWEVER

if retina display is NOT important, if she wants a simple, fast, light laptop with EXCELLENT battery...and if she can live with ONE usb port
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1128909-REG/apple_z0rh_mjve1_13_3_macbook_air_notebook.html
$900 cash.

its got 128 PCIe flash storage, 8gb ram and 1.6 i5. the biggest feature of this version of macbook air is the 12 hour battery. if she isn't checking for usb ports left and right, and she just wants something point a to point b apple, i think this is a go.

but the best buy deal isn't a BAD deal. i think its the best fit as she can plug this into a tv or monitor, has a couple usb ports and magsafe power. and its gonna be hella fast.

o yea...almost forgot! black friday is 4 weeks away. so you might find some good deals on last gen macbooks...i haven't checked the ads yet but it might be worth a look

Last edited:
@sreggie101  Thanks for the feedback!  I think I am going to go with the MBP for the retina and she would like to dock it too.  She likes to do photography and editing, so I think the retina is worth it.

I want a cheap laptop just for internet and Microsoft Office Suite. Maybe Adobe Suite as well. Open to suggestions I don't know anything about computers.

I got a Lenovo Yoga 710 and couldn't be any happier and it was less than $600 256gb SSD, 14" screen which is not too big and not to small, Windows 10, and 4gb RAM. Build feels pretty solid and the touch screen is pretty responsive.

I want a cheap laptop just for internet and Microsoft Office Suite. Maybe Adobe Suite as well. Open to suggestions I don't know anything about computers.

Never buy a laptop just for this browsing and what not unless u plan on upgrading every year. It's best to invest up front so that it is "future proof" Get something solid w/ an i5 and it'll cover what you want. You may just want something for just browsing the web now but the need could change 6mos later.

Hennesy for what you want...

You can get a Surface Pro 3 with i5 core, 4GB Ram, 128 GB HDD. For $549 on Amazon then buy the keyboard for $80 on amazon.

Last edited:

Yup that's what I did. I used time machine to back up all my data on my external drive, made a copy of the OS on my USB drive, installed the SSD and re-installed the OS.

Solid responses fellas really appreciate all the info. One last thing I will ask before I go to BB or Apple, should I wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? or just say **** it and shoot the bullet since I need the laptop ASAP.

BTW torn between the Dell XPS 13 and either 2015 MBP (for ports and battery) or 2016 MBP (specs and "future-proof")

Really need something solid to last me a long time, and I'm unsure with how much longevity I will get with the XPS 13, when I'm comparing with a lot of people still on their 2011+ MBPs.

Back
Top Bottom