Coach uses iPhone app to help save collapsed player

[h2]Coach uses iPhone app to help save collapsed player

[/h2]
By Cameron Smith

La Verne Lutheran (Calif.) School basketball star Xavier Jones has two men to thank for still being alive: His coach and Steve Jobs.

ept_sports_prep_rally-464891440-1291356534.jpg
According to the San Gabriel Valley Tribune and the Los Angeles Times, an iPhone -- a creation of Jobs' Apple Corporation -- helped teach La Verne basketball coach Eric Cooper how to perform CPR when he downloaded a life saving app called "Phone Aid" one night last week.

The very next day, Cooper had to put the skill to the test when Jones collapsed during a team practice. Cooper was able to keep his star pupil alive until paramedics arrived, at which point Jones had begun breathing again.

"When it happened, that was too much of a coincidence for me," Cooper told the Tribune.

It may have seemed like a huge coincidence, but given the holiday season, Cooper's timely intervention seemed almost a guided act of faith. Jones, who was set to play basketball at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point next year, has since been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a thickening of the heart wall that previously killed Loyola Marymount basketball player Hank Gathers during the 1990 college basketball season.

[Related: Soccer club president saves player's life]

"I'm just thankful and happy to be here," Jones told the Los Angeles Times. "Things could have been a lot worse.

"I'm just happy to be alive."
http://
While Jones hasn't decided on his next course of action -- one group of doctors has already recommended Jones have a defibrillating device implanted that would re-start his heart if it stopped again -- he and his parents said they were sure he would find a way to success.

[Related: Swedish referee performs on-ice CPR to save player]

More importantly, they were just thankful that his coach was able to think so quickly on his feet, and that he had such a timely interest in boning up on his lifesaving skills.

"I can't thank him enough for being there for my son," Xavier Jones' mother, Linda Jones, told the Los Angeles Times.

[h2]Coach uses iPhone app to help save collapsed player

[/h2]
By Cameron Smith

La Verne Lutheran (Calif.) School basketball star Xavier Jones has two men to thank for still being alive: His coach and Steve Jobs.

ept_sports_prep_rally-464891440-1291356534.jpg
According to the San Gabriel Valley Tribune and the Los Angeles Times, an iPhone -- a creation of Jobs' Apple Corporation -- helped teach La Verne basketball coach Eric Cooper how to perform CPR when he downloaded a life saving app called "Phone Aid" one night last week.

The very next day, Cooper had to put the skill to the test when Jones collapsed during a team practice. Cooper was able to keep his star pupil alive until paramedics arrived, at which point Jones had begun breathing again.

"When it happened, that was too much of a coincidence for me," Cooper told the Tribune.

It may have seemed like a huge coincidence, but given the holiday season, Cooper's timely intervention seemed almost a guided act of faith. Jones, who was set to play basketball at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point next year, has since been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a thickening of the heart wall that previously killed Loyola Marymount basketball player Hank Gathers during the 1990 college basketball season.

[Related: Soccer club president saves player's life]

"I'm just thankful and happy to be here," Jones told the Los Angeles Times. "Things could have been a lot worse.

"I'm just happy to be alive."
http://
While Jones hasn't decided on his next course of action -- one group of doctors has already recommended Jones have a defibrillating device implanted that would re-start his heart if it stopped again -- he and his parents said they were sure he would find a way to success.

[Related: Swedish referee performs on-ice CPR to save player]

More importantly, they were just thankful that his coach was able to think so quickly on his feet, and that he had such a timely interest in boning up on his lifesaving skills.

"I can't thank him enough for being there for my son," Xavier Jones' mother, Linda Jones, told the Los Angeles Times.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by NikeAir45

Iphone > Droid

Absolutely, 100% false. 

Being able to make a simple phone call & having a fun phone > having a fun phone 

(Half-kidding, just messing with you)

It's good to see technology save a life...
pimp.gif
With these smartphones it's easier to access information we may need right on the spot when something like this happens.

I haven't had problems with my reception with my iPhone.

Iphone > Droid

Absolutely, 100% false. 

Being able to make a simple phone call & having a fun phone > having a fun phone 

(Half-kidding, just messing with you)

It's good to see technology save a life...
pimp.gif
With these smartphones it's easier to access information we may need right on the spot when something like this happens.

I haven't had problems with my reception with my iPhone.

Iphone > Droid

Absolutely, 100% false. 

If you can't make a phone call on the iPhone I don't know what to tell you. The icon is on the bottom on the main screen.
laugh.gif

Iphone > Droid

Absolutely, 100% false. 

If you can't make a phone call on the iPhone I don't know what to tell you. The icon is on the bottom on the main screen.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Iphone > Droid

Absolutely, 100% false. 

laugh.gif

i lol'd
laugh.gif

i think my dude dland is referring to how basura att's service is. cant wait for the iphone to be on verizon....
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Iphone > Droid

Absolutely, 100% false. 

laugh.gif

i lol'd
laugh.gif

i think my dude dland is referring to how basura att's service is. cant wait for the iphone to be on verizon....
nerd.gif

Iphone > Droid
Actually, it's an iPhone. I'm an android user by the way. Android is the best. [/case]
I thought high school coaches knew CPR. 

Iphone > Droid
Actually, it's an iPhone. I'm an android user by the way. Android is the best. [/case]
I thought high school coaches knew CPR. 

Back
Top Bottom