COFFEE DISCUSSION - French Press vs. Coffee Maker

How do you guys make your coffee? I'm looking to start making coffee at home and I'm just wondering whether a French press or drip coffee maker isbetter in terms of taste, ease of use, and cleanup. Also, do you grind your own beans? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I wish I knew enough about coffee, I'm a regular drinker, and I'm trying to learn more about it, flavors, brewing methods, everything I can. I'mcurrently just using a regular drip coffee maker. I use already ground beans, but I'm going to strat buying whole beans and just grinding them up for afresher taste.

Do you like coffee drinks, like lattes and cappuccinos and what not?

If you like those, and you don't mind learning how to make them yourself, get yourself a Bialetti stovetop 'espresso' machine.

And whatever you have, definitely grind your own beans. I usually grind like a quarter of a bag at a time, use what I need right then, then store the remainderof the bag in the freezer, as well as storing the remainder of the ground beans in a separate container in the freezer.

^ what makes you say that?

Edit:
Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Do you like coffee drinks, like lattes and cappuccinos and what not?

If you like those, and you don't mind learning how to make them yourself, get yourself a Bialetti stovetop 'espresso' machine.

And whatever you have, definitely grind your own beans. I usually grind like a quarter of a bag at a time, use what I need right then, then store the remainder of the bag in the freezer, as well as storing the remainder of the ground beans in a separate container in the freezer.

I'll definitely keep that in mind, and I'm checking out your thread about the espresso machines as well.

Big J 33 - I'm just starting to drink coffee, so like you I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be.

23ska909red02 - I'm definitely going to think about getting an espresso machine because I do like lattes and cappuccinos as well. And thanks for the adviceon grinding beans; most people say you're a lot better off grinding them yourself so I'll be sure and do that.

frenchpress>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anythingelse.

I LOVE my bodum.

french press FTW

easy, great-tasting, and you get the most flavor from the bean

drip is alright, i mean everyone knows it

depends more on the filter you use.

^love it with some pho, maybe a viet sammich
i had pho the other day for the first time

thats mess is so disgusting...i dont know how anyone actually enjoys that..or sees it as something that they want to eat...i can see being forced to eat it orif you didnt have any other options ...but otherwise, why would you?

and the smell sticks with you...and thats not cool at all.

French press does not take away the oils that would be absorbed by the paper filter in a regular drip. French press will taste better most of the time if youtime it correctly.

i prefer french press...
...my advice to you is just to make sure you are using the right amount of water/coffee
and grinding your beans to fit the kind of filter you are using. on a side note, coffee grinds are really good on your garden.

Tell me why i read Fresh Prince in my mind
smh.gif

But french press anyways

Originally Posted by HidayetTurkoglu

^love it with some pho, maybe a viet sammich
i had pho the other day for the first time

thats mess is so disgusting...i dont know how anyone actually enjoys that..or sees it as something that they want to eat...i can see being forced to eat it or if you didnt have any other options ...but otherwise, why would you?

and the smell sticks with you...and thats not cool at all.

Beef broth, with thin sliced brisket, noodles, jalapeño, onions, sprouts, and thai basil? EEEEEEEW sounds nasty. Maybe you went to the wrong place, maybeyou don't like soup, but the astuff is delicious, I eat it every Sat. Love the stuff.

French Press FTW definitely, when I have the time to enjoy my cup on the weekends.

During the week it's the non-paper auto-drip for me. I like waking up to that smell in the morning.

Not sure if there are any heads that are into espresso, but if you are- try a decently pulled double shot with some Barq's root beer.

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't plan on drinking that much coffee, but I'll probably go for the French press. Bodum to be exact...

By the way, are they hard to clean?

^ From reading that article, I kind of gather that it's o.k. to freeze coffee one time, but that it's not o.k. for the temperature of the coffee to gothrough multiple changes, like freeing it, then taking it out and letting it get to room temperature or storing it in the cupboard for a few days, thendeciding to re-freeze it again, and repeating that process (or any process where the temperature of the beans change a number of times).

But it kind of seems like they were saying there's nothing wrong with storing in the freezer if the temperature of the beans aren't going throughmultiple changes.

No?

My understanding is that you should try and avoid freezing the coffee; however, if you're going to "the freezer can be an acceptable one-timeshot."

Nevertheless, thanks for the link. There's definitely some helpful information in there.

Back
Top Bottom