College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

UC Bearcats will be back in the top 25 this year. Mark my words. They put in work this summer in the DSL. Sleeper team in the BE.

Deveroes Summer League Recap
Ryan Pence
BearcatLair.com Staff Writer

Talk about it in The Lair
The Deveroes summer league came to a close this past Saturday, with the SLATS taking home their first championship in the history of the league.

DSL Photo Gallery
"One thing we learned from the summer league is that people aren't going to back down from you just because of your name," Vaughn said. "This helped us to realize that and realize that you got to come out and play every game like it's your last no matter who your opponent is."
Over the past month or so, the Cincinnati Bearcat men's basketball players have been working on their skills and keeping in shape for the upcoming season. The best place for them to do that has been the summer league. It's not only the freshman who benefit from the shootout, and a lot of the time it's the upper classmen who show the most progression in the summer league. This year was no different, as each UC player gave us more reasons to expect good things from this year's team.

Deonta Vaughn came into the summer league with perhaps the least to prove out of any player. After all, what could a First Team All Big East player have to gain from a summer league? Vaughn says it can teach you a lot.

"One thing we learned from the summer league is that people aren't going to back down from you just because of your name," Vaughn said. "This helped us to realize that and realize that you got to come out and play every game like it's your last no matter who your opponent is."

Vaughn looked just like the player we saw last year throughout the summer league. He even showed some improvements he has made to his game. At times during the summer league, his three point shot was not falling as good as he wanted it to, and he was able to improvise. Even more so than last season, Vaughn showed the ability to get to the basket and score points. He looked much quicker with the ball, and was able to blow by defenders with his lightning quick spin move that he went to so often.

Mike Williams hoped to use the summer league to get better before his first season with the Bearcats, and he did just that. However, he did not focus on just one thing to work one for the summer league.

"I personally would not just work on one thing; I just try to get better at everything," Williams said. I think no matter how good you are at something, there is always room to improve on it, and so there is no reason to stop working at making it better."

Williams had a solid summer league, and even though he missed some time he had nothing but positive things to say about it.

"It was real fun. I had a great time. I missed like 5 weeks or so with my back being sore, but I came back and finished strong so it was fun."

DSL Finals Highlights

Finishing strong is exactly what Williams showed throughout the league. Whether it was finishing up his season strong, or just finishing strong around the basket, Mike did not disappoint. His performance in the championship game was by far his best of the summer league. He finished that game with 24 points and 18 rebounds. He showed fans the hustle and determination they can expect from him this season. Williams performance and his attitude off the court have shown why he is someone you just want to see succeed on the court, and I think we will see him do just that in the upcoming season.

Alvin Mitchell had one of the most promising summer leagues of anyone. While it is just the summer league, it's hard to ignore some of the flashy shots and dunks Alvin had, along with his at times precision three point shooting and solid defense.

Not only did his progress show on the court, but off the court. Mitchell was the point of controversy last season when he was suspended, but all things appear to be headed in the right direction for him. He appears to have done everything necessary to get back in good graces with the team. He was often at the summer league early, and stayed late to cheer on his teammates, which is always a nice thing to see.

Rashad Bishop had the summer most of us expected him to have. He showed just how hard he has been working in the weight room, and his athleticism on the court reflects just that.

His defense has been solid, even a league where defense takes a back seat. His shooting has improved, and from what coaches have said in the past, Bishop appears to be taking on a role of one of the teams leaders. Not only with how he plays on the court, but with his off the court habits as far as getting in the weight room and such.

< His teammate in the summer league, Nick Aldridge, had a fairly slow summer, but did show some signs that he could contribute to the team this season. He showed he can play and inside out game. He would back a player down on one possession, and then step out and hit a three on the next possession, a tool which can be very valuable.

Kenny Belton had a slow summer, and even though his team reached the finals of the summer league, he did not play.

Belton showed some ability to get rebounds and he certainly has the build to bang with anyone on the inside. He continued to struggle with his soft touch around the basket, and his infamous free throw shooting continues to be a serious area of need for improvement.

While he does not appear to be someone who will be seeing a lot of minutes this season, he did show some signs that he may be able to contribute to this year's team. Larry Davis and Darnell Wilks were teammates on Goodies BBQ, and both showed some signs of improvement.

DSL Finals Photo Gallery

Davis showed a very solid ability to score the basketball. At times, his three point shot seemed to fall at will. He also showed some very solid moves in getting to the basket, and was effective getting the ball to his teammates. When paired with other big name players, Davis showed a good ability to match up with them in man to man defense.

Wilks had a slow summer league for the most part. Outside of a couple of big dunks, he did not show too much improvement. Part of it may have been the laid back atmosphere of the games. He never really appeared to be into it on the defensive end.

On the offensive end, he did not put up the most points, but he seemed to do a pretty good job or playing the team leader role at times.

Anthony McClain had an OK summer by most standards. He still needs to put on strength and that was evident. He did a good job of posting up put could not show his soft touch around the rim at times. One of the biggest areas that needs to improve for him is his ability to use his height as an advantage. When he gets the ball inside, he tends to drop the ball down to his side, taking away his height advantage. He needs to work on keeping the ball in the air and not bringing it down.

Of all the freshman, the one who most fans came out to see was Yancy Gates. The big man had an up and down summer league for the most part. While he did not seem to take the summer league seriously at times, he showed just how dominant of a player he can be when he wants to.

2008 Freshman Class
The 2008 freshman class of Cashmere Wright, Dion Dixon, and Yancy Gates helped lead Slats to their first ever Deveroes Summer League Championship.
One of the defining moments for Yancy came in the championship game. Yancy was getting frustrated with the game and his teammates. SLATS coach DeJuan Baker and him were in an argument on the sidelines and Coach Baker would not back down from Yancy. He eventually checked him back into the game, and an energized and motivated Gates blocked the next shot attempt and fought hard for the ball, drawing a loose ball foul late in the game. He then proceeded to sink both foul shots and give his team the lead. He finished out the game playing with a renewed intensity and his team got the win.

Even though he seems frustrated at times, Yancy said he really enjoyed the summer league.

"It was fun. It was a good learning experience for me and the other freshman. We got to come out here and play with the upper classmen and we really learned a lot from them. So yeah, it was fun."

Cashmere Wright shared the same positive thoughts as Yancy.

"It was great. It was a good chance to come out and bond with my new teammates and really get ready for the season. I really liked it."

Cashmere had a very promising summer as well. He showed his lightning quick speed and his ability to distribute the basketball. He also showed a very good ability to shoot the basketball and score points, which is something the Bearcats need after last season.

One other attribute Wright showed, which was probably the least known about him, was an incredible leaping ability. Not only can he dunk the basketball on fast breaks, but he has gone over opposing teams' big men on numerous occasions this season for rebounds and even put back dunks. In the finals, he leaped above incoming Xavier freshman Kenny Frease and nearly threw down a put back dunk which would have sent the crowd into a frenzy. A point guard with that kind of rebounding ability cannot be overlooked and is extremely valuable to a team.

The last of the freshman, Dion Dixon, had a very good summer league showing as well. Dixon was the least touted of all the recruits, but some considered him to be a "diamond in the rough" type who could potentially be the best recruit of this year's class.

He did not disappoint the fans, and nothing but good things to say about the summer league as well.

"We have a real nice team this year. I got to play with them. I think it was a good learning experience for the season and I can't wait to get out there and play with them this year."

Dixon showed a tremendous ability to shoot the ball. His three point shot is so difficult to defend because he can rise in the air so quickly, making it nearly impossible to block it or get a hand in his face at times.

He also showed his unbelievable athleticism. He skied over defenders to pull down rebounds and can get up to the rim as quick as anyone, and has nice moves around the basket. He also finishes with very soft touch. His defense, albeit in the summer league, was very nice as well.

Overall, the summer league was a very positive learning experience for freshman and upperclassmen alike. They gave Bearcat fans reasons to be hopeful for the upcoming season.

Wish I had the same confidence Malta
laugh.gif
....by the end of the year thingsshould be shaping up though.

Joe Mazzulla and Cameron Thoroughman were arrested Monday at PNC Park, where the Pirates were playing the Colorado Rockies. The two were in custody and awaiting arraignment Tuesday.

Mazzulla, a 6-foot-2 junior from Johnston, R.I., was charged with aggravated assault, hindering apprehension and underage drinking. Thoroughman, a 6-foot-7 sophomore from Portsmouth, Ohio, was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and underage drinking.

Old Spice Classic Tournament Bracket Set-Up

Day One - November 27
Game 1 - Tennessee vs. Siena - 12:00 pm - ESPN2
Game 2 - Wichita State vs. Georgetown - 2:00 pm - ESPN2
Game 3 - Maryland vs. Michigan State - 7:00 pm - ESPN2
Game 4 - Oklahoma State vs. Gonzaga - 9:00 pm - ESPN2

Day Two - November 28
Game 5 - Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser - 10:30 am - ESPNU
Game 6 - Game 1 Winner vs. Game 2 Winner - 1:00 pm - ESPN
Game 7 - Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Winner - 5:30 pm - ESPN
Game 8 - Game 3 Loser vs. Game 4 Loser - 8:00 pm - ESPNU

Day Three - November 30
Game 9 - Game 5 Loser vs. Game 8 Loser - 10:30 am - ESPNU
Game 10 - Game 5 Winner vs. Game 8 Winner - 12:30 pm - ESPNU
Game 11 - Game 6 Loser vs. Game 7 Loser - 5:30 pm - ESPN2
Game 12 - Game 6 Winner vs. Game 7 Winner - 7:30 pm - ESPN2

pimp.gif

At this time of the year....Siena beats Tenn....no question to me...I like MSU to win it all. We should be in the finals of this though.

Cinci has some talent this year....but the little leprechaun will be outmatched on the side lines quite frequently in BE play.

Don't think anyone posted it..

Jordan Crawford to Xavier.

And from Clark Francis..

"We also have to mention 6'9 Ryan Kelly from Raleigh (Ravenscroft) NC, who finished with 22 points and eight rebounds and provides D-One Sports and its head coach (Dwon Clifton) with one of the best inside outside punches in the tournament. Speaking of Wall and Clifton, the word on the street is that the package will be delivered to Oklahoma State as soon as the "Live Period" for college coaches is over at the end of July when Clifton get the Director of Basketball Operations job with the Cowboys."

...after gettin to watch Kelly....he better go with Wall....or go to UNC.....cause he is a HORRIBLE defender inside and out....and only can catch and shoot.

Wall has convinced me he's #1 in the class. He is how a PG should be.

^
I feel bad for John Wall. His whole recruitment is being handled by someone else and he isnt going to be allowed to go to school where HE wants. I think thatsjust another indication that these adults are taking advantages of HS kids. Its really sickening to think that adults will use a kid to land jobs, get moneyetc etc

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Cinci has some talent this year....but the little leprechaun will be outmatched on the side lines quite frequently in BE play.

I def don't agree with that. Last year he beat smashed Huggs in WVU, beat Boeheim , Pitino, Dixon, and beat Jay Wright's team with a team with far lesstalent. A team full of juco rejects with Deonta Vaughn carrying them nightly, and a bunch of freshman that weren't ready to contribute. We also blew aclose one to UCONN that we definitely should've won. The only team that has consistently smacked, and I mean smacked us since we've been in the BE isyour boys at G'town. However, to say that he'll be outmatched when he has already proven that he is able to compete with the least talented team in theBE is not even close to being right IMO.

Originally Posted by manamazing55

^
I feel bad for John Wall. His whole recruitment is being handled by someone else and he isnt going to be allowed to go to school where HE wants. I think thats just another indication that these adults are taking advantages of HS kids. Its really sickening to think that adults will use a kid to land jobs, get money etc etc
thats his fault then, tell them fools to %*%* and pick a school yourself.

Once maligned for his recruiting efforts, Bruce Weber, who already has a strong 2009 recruiting class in place, added another solid piece to a strong 2010recruiting class with the commitment of Meyers Leonard out of Robinson (Ill.) High School.

[table][tr][td]
MEYERSLEONARD7_28200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Leonard continues tradition of long, slender big men to Illinois.[/td] [/tr][/table]"It just seemed like the right fit for me," said Leonard, a 6-foot-9, 195-pound center. "I like the academics there,and I fit in well with the players and the coaches. They also have a lot of other good recruits coming in."

Leonard just recently popped onto the national scene this summer and was beginning to attract a number of high major offers including Indiana, Iowa, Purdue andstrong interest from Florida. But an unofficial visit to Illinois in mid-June, swayed Leonard strongly towards the Illini.

"I also thought about Purdue and Florida, but the last couple weeks Illinois really moved up to the front," he said. "Tisdale will be a seniorwhen I come in, but after that it's pretty wide open for me."

Leonard, who is the No. 94 ranked prospect in the class of 2010, joins Crandall Head and Jereme Richmond in Illinois' 2010 recruiting class.

Meyers Leonard scouting report:

Still developing as a player, Leonard is an intriguing prospect with his length and mobility. He is a shot blocker who can also move out of his position tosnag rebounds. His skills with the ball are a work in progress, but he does have a feel for passing the ball. Gaining more strength and confidence will enhancehis ability to finish.

Once maligned for his recruiting efforts, Bruce Weber, who already has a strong 2009 recruiting class in place, added another solid piece to a strong 2010 recruiting class
Not saying anything...but....how does this guy recruit ZERO talent after a National Title game and getting the most media attention for ayear......to having an AWFUL team and now landing Top 100 guys frequently
nerd.gif

STAR POWER

Prior to the travel basketball period in April, there were few people that knew who Mouphtaou Yarou was.

Now in the last week of July, the 6-foot-9 forward with Cecil Kirk is now one of the most sought after big men in the nation. He should be, too. Yarou is asskilled as any forward in the nation on the low blocks and he can be an absolute beast for defenders to match-up with because of his fluidity on the offensiveend of the floor.

Yarou can step out and shoot while run the floor like a madmen and rebound on the defensive end. During one minute stretch, Yarou missed a dunk but ran thefloor to be the first guy back on defense. He diverted the shot and sprinted back to be the trailer for a score.

His effort and intensity paired with his offensive skill set make him a McDonald's All-American level prospect. New Mexico State, Villanova, Providence,Vanderbilt and others were out-posted at his game on Tuesday afternoon.

G'Town, Pitt, and Memphis have offered. UNC and Duke now on his list. (Dre, Cake, Malta...this would be a kid you want)

Personally, I'd prefer him over Ryan Kelly.

Now in the last week of July, the 6-foot-9 forward with Cecil Kirk is now one of the most sought after big men in the nation. He should be, too. Yarou is as skilled as any forward in the nation on the low blocks and he can be an absolute beast for defenders to match-up with because of his fluidity on the offensive end of the floor.

Yarou can step out and shoot while run the floor like a madmen and rebound on the defensive end. During one minute stretch, Yarou missed a dunk but ran the floor to be the first guy back on defense. He diverted the shot and sprinted back to be the trailer for a score.
Blocks shots, rebounds and is a true post presence.

Wojo, K, CC.

Put in work and go get him.

Dude goes to school in Virginia and plays for the DC Blue Devils...pure speculation at this point but I'd think that one of those schools might be a littlehigher on his list than the others.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Dude goes to school in Virginia and plays for the DC Blue Devils...pure speculation at this point but I'd think that one of those schools might be a little higher on his list than the others.

happy.gif

I like the sound of that.

What's good w/ this kid though?

Heard anything about his game?

He's only been playing for a few years...so the upside is high. But he is NOT a project, the kid is already skilled.

...New Mexico State, Depaul, G'Town and Pitt are the schools who have been in the contact the longest.

Most big time programs have just jumped in recently.

From last week --

Mouphtaou Yarou had quite a following as well for his morning game at the Main Event. Bruce Pearl, Jamie Dixon, Paul Hewitt, Jay Wright, Stan Heath and MarvinMenzies watched the athletic post player put up 23 points.

Tarou is just getting a gauge on his recruitment but said that New Mexico State, Villanova, Georgetown, UCLA, DePaul and Virginia Tech are on him the hardest.

In just two years, the Old Spice hasn't lacked star power. Consider that in this year's NBA Draft three of the top 20selections--Kansas State's Michael Beasley (No. 2 pick), Rider's Jason Thompson (12) and N.C. State's J.J. Hickson (19)--played in the 2007 OldSpice Classic. Throw in Beasley's teammate Bill Walker (47), and four of the 48 collegiate players selected in the draft participated in last year'sOSC. In fact, three more draft picks from this year's draft--Joe Alexander (West Virginia), Sonny Weems (Arkansas) and Deron Washington (VirginiaTech)--played in this event back in 2006. So it goes without saying … if you do well at the Old Spice Classic, your stock should rise. Here are eight playerswho are armed and ready to take their games to the next level - using the 2008 Old Spice Classic as their stage:
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Jessie Sapp | 6'3", 210 | senior, guard[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: GEORGETOWN[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Claim to Fame: The Hoyas' second leading returning scorer (9.7 ppg) led the team in assists (110), steals (42) and three-point field goals made (62) last season.

Outlook: With Roy Hibbert, Jonathan Wallace and Patrick Ewing Jr. gone, Sapp will be one of the veterans the Hoyas will look to in 2008-09. Although not a double-figure scorer last season, Sapp has proven to be a clutch performer, as evidenced by his game-winning three-pointer against West Virginia last January. He has a knack for showing up in the big moments (like his scoring 23 points in a Big East quarterfinal win over Villanova), so 2008-09 should be his moment.
>> Read Jessie Sapp's profile
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]
sapp.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Jeremy Pargo | 6'2", 219 | senior, guard[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: GONZAGA[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Claim to Fame: The WCC Player of the Year last season, Pargo was second on the team in scoring (12.1 ppg), and ranked 20th in Division I in assists at six per contest. Also shot 49.7 percent from the field, a decent figure from the point guard position.

Outlook: Pargo figures to be one of the top point guards in the nation. Not just an assist man, Pargo is a big-time scorer against top-notch opponents, scoring 28 points against Oklahoma, 25 at then-No. 1 Memphis and 18 against Davidson in the NCAA Tournament.
>> Read Jeremy Pargo's profile
pargo.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Greivis Vasquez | 6'6", 190 | junior, guard[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: MARYLAND[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Claim to Fame: The second team All-ACC performer who led Maryland in scoring (17 ppg), assists (6.
glasses.gif
, steals (47) and minutes (37) last season was the only player in the ACC in 2007-08 ranked in the top 5 in points, assists and minutes played.

Outlook: One of the more underrated players in the ACC, Vasquez will get a lot of attention in 2008-09. Last season he improved his scoring average by 7.2 ppg, the second-best improvement in the ACC. His 388 assists were the 10th most ever by an ACC sophomore (more than Phil Ford, Travis Best and Ty Lawson in their sophomore seasons).
>> Read Greivis Vasquez's profile
vasquez.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Raymar Morgan | 6'7", 225 | junior, forward[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: MICHIGAN STATE[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Claim to Fame: Led Michigan State in scoring (14 ppg) and was second in rebounding (6.1) last season. Morgan, a second team All-Big Ten selection and the team's MVP, finished in the top 10 in the league in scoring, rebounding and field goal percentage (55.
glasses.gif

Outlook: On a team where Drew Neitzel got most of the pub, it was Morgan who was probably the Spartans' best all-around player. Last season, Morgan was one of three players in the conference to average at least 14 points, 6 rebounds and shoot over 50 percent from the field. The other two - Indiana's D.J. White and Ohio State's Kosta Koufos - were both first-round selections in the 2008 NBA Draft.
>> Read Raymar Morgan's profile
morgan.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]James Anderson | 6'6", 195 | sophomore, guard[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: OKLAHOMA STATE[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Claim to Fame: Led Oklahoma State in scoring (13.3 ppg), field goals made (148) and three-point field goals (67) as a freshman. Anderson's 438 points were the second most by a freshman in school history.

Outlook: A Big 12 All-Rookie Team honoree last season, Anderson was fifth in scoring among Big 12 freshmen (13th in Big 12 overall), and second among Big 12 freshmen in three-point field goal percentage (37.9). In new coach Travis Ford's up-tempo system, Anderson should thrive as a shooter.
>> Read James Anderson's profile
anderson.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Kenny Hasbrouck | 6'3", 192 | senior, guard[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: SIENA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Claim to Fame: Hasbrouck was second on the team in scoring (16.1) and assists (2.2) last season while leading the MAAC in steals per game (2.26). The first team All-MAAC selection was also named the MAAC Tournament MVP.

Outlook: Siena could be next season's Davidson, with all five starters back from a team that reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament. And Hasbrouck may be the best in the group, as evidenced by his 30 points in a 21-point win over Vanderbilt in the first round of NCAA Tournament. He then followed that up with 17 points against Villanova in a second-round loss.
>> Read Kenny Hasbrouck's profile[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]
hasbrouck.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Tyler Smith | 6'7", 215 | senior, forward[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: TENNESSEE[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Claim to Fame: Smith earned first team All-SEC honors last season, leading the Vols in rebounding (6.7), assists (3.4) and field goal percentage (.536). His 13.6 ppg was good for third on the team.

Outlook: Arguably the most versatile player in the SEC last season, Smith-the Vols' top returning scorer in 2008-09-was the only player in the conference to average at least 13 points, 6 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game.
>> Read Tyler Smith's profile
smith.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Ramon Clemente | 6'6", 221 | senior, forward[/td] [/tr][tr][td]School: WICHITA STATE[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Claim to Fame: Clemente was third in the Missouri Valley Conference in rebounding (7.9 rpg) last season, and was the only member of the Shockers to shoot over 50 percent from the field (.503). Named to the MVC All-Newcomer team.

Outlook: Although he wasn't a big scorer last season (7.0 ppg), expect more from Clemente in 2008-09-especially with the Shockers having lost three of their top four scorers (P.J. Couisnard, Matt Braeuer and Phillip Thomasson) from last season.
>> Read Ramon Clemente's profile
clemente.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

I really like Oklahoma State. For some reason, I think they could win the Old Spice Classic.

They're really lacking at the PF/C position though, which could possibly hurt them. I'm not too familiar with Ford's coaching style, would he run a4 guard set?

Possible line-up with a 4 guard set:
G- Byron Eaton (5'11")
G- Terrell Harris (6'5")
G- Obi Muonelo (6'5")
G- James Anderson (6'6")
C- Ibrahima Thomas (6'11")

That's not much height at all...It might be a little hard for them to keep up with a team with some height.

Ford's coaching style, would he run a 4 guard set?
With those 4 you posted....yeah....I can easily see that.

To the Cinci fan....you're right...short sighted on my part....it's the same way I view things with Harangody...just absolute trash against us andmakes me devalue him. Kinda feel the same with Cronin.

Mason Plumlee, 6-10, Power Forward, Rising Senior, Indiana Elite One
Committed to Duke

As far as long-term prospects go,
Mason Plumlee (#12 Scout, #25 Rivals, #19 ESPN) is definitely one of the most talented big men we saw in the month of July. 6-10, with a great frame and very nice athleticism, Plumlee has a great physical profile for an NBA power forward prospect. He also shows flashes of the budding skill level needed, as he can put the ball on the floor from the perimeter with big strides and very nice ball-handling skills, hit 3-pointers, pull-up off the dribble, and is an absolutely outstanding passer.

He is so skilled that his AAU team even runs him at the point guard position, which is not something that is really conducive to winning games at a higher level of competition, but tells you a little bit about how versatile he is. Plumlee would regularly grab a rebound at the U-18 National Team tryouts and then ignite the fast break on his own, showing very nice dexterity in the open court and an advanced feel for the game.

As intriguing as Plumee might be, he still has a long ways to go in many facets of the game. He's not very effective inside, showing virtually no moves around the paint, limited ability to finish through contact, and a concerning lack of toughness at times. He seems to offer up his glimpses of potential in small doses, and has a tendency to coast as far as his intensity is concerned in others. His court awareness inside the arc is surprisingly underdeveloped, and that translates to the defensive end of the floor as well, where he is extremely weak. Adding strength to his excellent frame will be a priority once he reaches the college level.

Plumlee is definitely a name for scouts to keep in the back of their mind, but they'll probably have to be patient with him.

Got that from Draft Express' scouting report. I'm a lil disheartened by what they had to say about dude. Anybody who's seen himplay, is he a legit big man or we got another Shav Randolph on our hands???

I watched him on tv once here in the Asheville area, and followed him quite a bit closely through the papers etc. He was never the physical post presence thatduke has needed over the years. He was easily the biggest guy on the court many times and did not make his presence felt against a lot of players shorter thanhim (6'5" - 6'9" centers guarding him). You would imagine that him and Miles would dominate the paint, but they never really exertedthemselves to dominate. He is really good at getting out and running the court, but I doubt you ever see him play pg or anything other than pf or c.

IMO i believe duke rushed in adding him to their class, as they had just lost out on Echenique and was looking for a big man, they went out saw him, and pushedfor a commitment and got it all in a few weeks. As a UNC fan i was never high on him to begin with, even when we were actively recruiting him. I can see himplaying at duke and being a better player than Zoubek, but I just don't see him being big time like a top 20 player should be, he lacks a lot basketballtoughness and could improve his low post skills.

%#%%%!% Baylor
smh.gif

Nation's top prospect set to end recruitment

Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst

Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board
The recruitment of John Wall, Rivals.com's No. 1 prospect in the class of 2009, is coming close to an end.

John Wall, Rivals.com's No. 1 pospect in the 2009 class, is expected to announce his college decision early next week.
Wall's travel team coach - Dwon Clifton of D-One Sports - will officially be named Director of Player Development at Baylor University on Friday, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Wall is a 6-foot-4, 184-pound point guard out of Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Christian Academy. He is expected to announce his college decision early next week according to Brian Clifton, the director of D-One Sports and Dwon Clifton's older brother.

Naturally, Wall is expected to follow his travel team coach to Baylor.

This development is somewhat surprising considering many news outlets erroneously reported last week - during the travel team tournaments in Las Vegas - that Dwon Clifton and Wall were destined for Oklahoma State.

Baylor apparently was not the only school pursuing Clifton as a coach. According to a source close to the situation, Dwon Clifton was offered coaching positions by other Big 12 schools as well as schools in the Big East and SEC.

Clifton played collegiate basketball at Clemson and then later at North Carolina-Greensboro before playing professionally in Portugal.

Maybe another school will throw more money at Clifton in the next week or so, but this is really shady. Does Clifton really think he will be there more than ayear, as soon as Wall bolts to the NBA there goes his job insurance.

Back
Top Bottom