College DropOut Joining The Military

Is there anyone currently in the military? College dropouts thought about joining the military? Can't find a job? Homeless living in shelter to shelter with a record free from jail and drugs? On Welfare but knowing in the long run the money isn't going to be sufficient enough for me to pay the Loan I owe already and get my credit back in order. I'm having trouble finding a full-time job and have started filling out for part-time mind you I have an hour glass on my living situation. I've been thinking about joining the military before which was last year and I'm back into that predicament. I really want to know the pros and cons or get advice from people males and females who are already in the military and have gotten out.

i cant speak from 1st hand experience, but I have seen it turn lives around before.

A good friend of mine was in a situation that sounds kinda similar (well not really) to yours. While I was in college, dude was living/sleeping on the floor of my tiny 10x10 dorm room because he had nowhere else to live. Somehow someway he managed to scratch together just enough money to get by (but not enough to pay rent or save enough to get a place). After school ended his aunt/uncle were kind enough to take him in and let him live there temporarily to help him get on his feet. Due to problems with drug abuse, he fell further and further into a rut. After his aunt/uncle kicked him out, he was bouncing around sleeping on different friends' couches for the next couple years. Eventually he ended up "renting" the couch/living room at his dealers apt for a couple hundred bucks a month. All the while he was working as many hours as he could at some crappy retail job (Best Buy) which gave him just enough to pay the $200/mo rent, put gas in car, a burger or two in his belly, and somewhat pay for his habit. The longer he was living with his dealer, the more things spiraled out of control. His car was eventually impounded and effectively repo'd because he had been driving around with no tags or no insurance (since he couldnt afford it). He couldnt afford to get it out of impound so he left it there. He was a full blown addict by this time and since most of his money was goin to meth, he didnt really need any for food (no appetite). Eventually he hit rock bottom.

Thankfully his aunt/uncle stepped up to help him out again. Not to let him back in their house, but to help set him up with a non-profit rehab center for him to attend. He was in rehab for a couple months and got clean. Afterwards he stayed at the center and lived there for a few months in exchange for doing work on and around the premises. Now that he was clean, he still had no job, no car, no home, no college education, and was kinda back to square one. He finally decided to enlist in the Air Force since he would atleast be assured a steady paycheck, 3 square meals, and a place to sleep. He was a little bit concerned about this decision because he was in his mid 20's at this time and would undoubtedly be one of the oldest at basic, but hey... better late than never right?

It was probably the best thing that ever happened to him. He was eventually stationed in Japan and his AFSC (i think that is the correct term?) involved maintenance and repair of some electrical devices of some sort. While in the Air Force he was finally able to get back to some normalcy in his life. He could finally start to acquire some real world job skills and save some money. While in the service he met a girl (civilian) to whom he is now engaged. He recently finished his term with the Air Force and was discharged just a few months ago. Upon discharge he moved back to Canada with his fiance (her hometown) and has enrolled at the local university to get a degree in electrical engineering. He doesnt have to worry about tuition since he is using his GI Bill money. While attending school he will also be working and has found work in a similar field to what he was doing in the military. Life is very stable, and it is a complete 180 from where he was just 5-6 years ago.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

i cant speak from 1st hand experience, but I have seen it turn lives around before.

A good friend of mine was in a situation that sounds kinda similar (well not really) to yours. While I was in college, dude was living/sleeping on the floor of my tiny 10x10 dorm room because he had nowhere else to live. Somehow someway he managed to scratch together just enough money to get by (but not enough to pay rent or save enough to get a place). After school ended his aunt/uncle were kind enough to take him in and let him live there temporarily to help him get on his feet. Due to problems with drug abuse, he fell further and further into a rut. After his aunt/uncle kicked him out, he was bouncing around sleeping on different friends' couches for the next couple years. Eventually he ended up "renting" the couch/living room at his dealers apt for a couple hundred bucks a month. All the while he was working as many hours as he could at some crappy retail job (Best Buy) which gave him just enough to pay the $200/mo rent, put gas in car, a burger or two in his belly, and somewhat pay for his habit. The longer he was living with his dealer, the more things spiraled out of control. His car was eventually impounded and effectively repo'd because he had been driving around with no tags or no insurance (since he couldnt afford it). He couldnt afford to get it out of impound so he left it there. He was a full blown addict by this time and since most of his money was goin to meth, he didnt really need any for food (no appetite). Eventually he hit rock bottom.

Thankfully his aunt/uncle stepped up to help him out again. Not to let him back in their house, but to help set him up with a non-profit rehab center for him to attend. He was in rehab for a couple months and got clean. Afterwards he stayed at the center and lived there for a few months in exchange for doing work on and around the premises. Now that he was clean, he still had no job, no car, no home, no college education, and was kinda back to square one. He finally decided to enlist in the Air Force since he would atleast be assured a steady paycheck, 3 square meals, and a place to sleep. He was a little bit concerned about this decision because he was in his mid 20's at this time and would undoubtedly be one of the oldest at basic, but hey... better late than never right?

It was probably the best thing that ever happened to him. He was eventually stationed in Japan and his AFSC (i think that is the correct term?) involved maintenance and repair of some electrical devices of some sort. While in the Air Force he was finally able to get back to some normalcy in his life. He could finally start to acquire some real world job skills and save some money. While in the service he met a girl (civilian) to whom he is now engaged. He recently finished his term with the Air Force and was discharged just a few months ago. Upon discharge he moved back to Canada with his fiance (her hometown) and has enrolled at the local university to get a degree in electrical engineering. He doesnt have to worry about tuition since he is using his GI Bill money. While attending school he will also be working and has found work in a similar field to what he was doing in the military. Life is very stable, and it is a complete 180 from where he was just 5-6 years ago.

wow good for him
pimp.gif

i love turn around stories like this

I did 6 years in and in your case I can see all pros. No cons. Times will get rough but remember where you came from. I wish I could do my time over again. I had a blast. There were times it sucked but the good times out weighed tthe bad.

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

I did 6 years in and in your case I can see all pros. No cons. Times will get rough but remember where you came from. I wish I could do my time over again. I had a blast. There were times it sucked but the good times out weighed tthe bad.

I agree ..
Things that will make you successful in the military:

1. Be in outstanding physical shape.

2. Be within weight and height standards.

3. Follow orders when giving and take share when no one is around. As you go up in Rank, learn to give orders to does that were equal (friend) and now under you.

4. Be proactive not reactive.

5. Have a fresh haircut and shave at all times.

6. Have clean and press cammies at all times.

7. Be political - You can be the best ever but if you care not political, it will not count for anything.

You will be able to slowly pay your loans ... You might have time to continue schools (paid for) ... If you get out you have a GIBILL to continue school ... You get to travel and so on ..

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

wow good for him
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
great story would read again srs

Originally Posted by trak1sh

I would do it if I were you, what are your other options.

my other options are collecting $761-900 monthly checks which I feel threatens my intellect because i did the math and it's totally not worth it! Another, is continue filling out for jobs and hoping i get one to put me into a situation to save up for rent money problem is i'm living shelter to shelter because my life fell apart after me and my girlfriend split up. I'm really thinking the military will finally be my option, there's really no other way for me to put my life back into order. My mother wrote me on facebook talking about "I hope the SSI comes thru" I'm thinking like that's a big negative.

this story is incredible. I read it and it really stuck with me.
smile.gif

my options are between AirForce, Army (Which I'm positive I'd enter) and Navy (Which I have more feeling towards entering if the AirForce where not to work) I don't think it matters which service but at the same time it does. anyone have any opinions?!?!

Originally Posted by SamDUH562

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

wow good for him
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
great story would read again srs
word, that was a great come-up story.  Shows the will and persistence of the human spirit.

Originally Posted by Fox5Kobe

my options are between AirForce, Army (Which I'm positive I'd enter) and Navy (Which I have more feeling towards entering if the AirForce where not to work) I don't think it matters which service but at the same time it does. anyone have any opinions?!?!

My uncle was in the Navy and he told us how the living conditions were cramped & you should be mentally prepared to live and be in the same place for months at a time. According to my dad's stories, the Navy really changed his life around and now he's making a lot of money as an engineer. 

i would normally say noooo dont do it. reconsider.... but considering your situation... enlist bruh, most of the ppl i know in the armed forces love it. they get to travel and have spending money and the base +*$%!# tryna come up on that G.I bill and quarter pension
laugh.gif

werent you going to collect the SSI for having some mental issues and you stopped taking your meds? is the military and the mind games of bootcamp really the best option?

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

i would normally say noooo dont do it. reconsider.... but considering your situation... enlist bruh, most of the ppl i know in the armed forces love it. they get to travel and have spending money and the base +%*%%* tryna come up on that G.I bill and quarter pension
laugh.gif

what you mean by the base? ight. so you feel my situation is basically worth me enlisting. i want to make sure i'm not running out of patience as far as my situation is concerned and im not being too quick in wanting to take charge because this is a life changer and im currently not sure if i can get my life together in 2 years rather than 4 years because i cant tell the future but it seems the 4 years will be worth it ill finally be out of new york city and probably wont get the chance to live here again so im losing that and its okay and im also 26 years old with musical talent so maybe i can work on it off and on in and out the military?!?

Originally Posted by runzombierun

werent you going to collect the SSI for having some mental issues and you stopped taking your meds? is the military and the mind games of bootcamp really the best option?

I was referred to the mental health building upon the break-up of my girlfriend. I was depressed for a year straight and became paranoid because i stayed in the house it didn't stop because we broke up and my aunts had a major part in breaking us up then i went to live with them and it got worse. they proceded to %*% on me and treat me bad and not care about the fact me and girl had just broke up so i never healed up from that breakup. i was alerady in the system of mental health but the tests kept coming up negative that i didnt have a problem. So, i was about to fake it until i made it! But, I've been thinking and doing the math and feeling like is that even going to be enough money to support myself currently and for the future and how am i gonna get back into college? buy a car? i'd be living in the hood in upstate ny i dont want that for myself for the rest of my life for some monthly check thats only boils out to one week or working a fulltime job. your ideas?

By reading your last post .. I'm not sure the Military is going to be a good look for you. It sounds like you are frail individual and the drill instructors are not going to give a damm about your problems. They are going to break you and and try to mold you into what they think a soldier should be. However the mental games they are going to play are not going to stop and the abuse is going to be great. If and when you graduate this behaviour might not stop as you always encounter week individuals with rank that like to %%*+ with people. If they find out you are week they will ride you for the laughs and giggles.

One thing you can not be in the military and that's mentally week.

Older brother dropped out of a full scholarship to USC(Architecture). Joined the Army, served two terms in Iraq. Graduated from Cal State Hayward,  Has a full time job working intelligence out in Sacramento....Last year tried out for Ranger School, passed and is now a Ranger.

Well off now, owns two homes, several cars, living life to the fullest......

Like everyone else said the military might not be the best option..
You are forcing yourself to do it, doesnt always = good results..

Originally Posted by solesavage

Older brother dropped out of a full scholarship to USC(Architecture). Joined the Army, served two terms in Iraq. Graduated from UC Hayward, Has a full time job working intelligence out in Sacramento....Last year tried out for Ranger School, passed and is now a Ranger.

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by offbad

Originally Posted by solesavage

Older brother dropped out of a full scholarship to USC(Architecture). Joined the Army, served two terms in Iraq. Graduated from UC Hayward, Has a full time job working intelligence out in Sacramento....Last year tried out for Ranger School, passed and is now a Ranger.

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
 My bad, Cal State Hayward.

Originally Posted by mholmes87

co-sign Rikan Havok

I was thinking to myself about my best option and how the military may not be the best for me. I was doing it solely for money purposes to pay off bills and also try and guess if it'll make me a better person. I don't know what kinda "better" it is and I usually take chances but at a time like this the chance i'm taking is more serious than a little bit. If i take the chance of going to the military it could push me back further. The mental health issue is a chance that wouldn't push me back further idk yet but its like what else am i to do im still paralyzed so im just stuck. currently, looking for employment seems somewhat safe.

Originally Posted by mholmes87

co-sign Rikan Havok

I was thinking to myself about my best option and how the military may not be the best for me. I was doing it solely for money purposes to pay off bills and also try and guess if it'll make me a better person. I don't know what kinda "better" it is and I usually take chances but at a time like this the chance i'm taking is more serious than a little bit. If i take the chance of going to the military it could push me back further. The mental health issue is a chance that wouldn't push me back further idk yet but its like what else am i to do im still paralyzed so im just stuck. currently, looking for employment seems somewhat safe.
My dude you need to take a step back ..
Write down your options ..

Weight in the pro's vs con's ..

See what's the best out ..

You are 26 and you are still young, so yes there's hope.

You just have to overcome your problems slowly and continue to build on that.

Originally Posted by runzombierun

I was referred to the mental health building upon the break-up of my girlfriend. I was depressed for a year straight and became paranoid because i stayed in the house it didn't stop because we broke up and my aunts had a major part in breaking us up then i went to live with them and it got worse. they proceded to %*% on me and treat me bad and not care about the fact me and girl had just broke up so i never healed up from that breakup. i was alerady in the system of mental health but the tests kept coming up negative that i didnt have a problem. So, i was about to fake it until i made it! But, I've been thinking and doing the math and feeling like is that even going to be enough money to support myself currently and for the future and how am i gonna get back into college? buy a car? i'd be living in the hood in upstate ny i dont want that for myself for the rest of my life for some monthly check thats only boils out to one week or working a fulltime job. your ideas?
if you have a history of mental issues the military will not accept you.

Back
Top Bottom