College Help...

I'ma senior this year(west springfield) and I'm startin this whole college thing. I'm lookin at VCU, ODU, Norfolk, and Hampton. If yall could gimme some pros and cons of those school in the areas of academics, food, campus safety, and night life, and anything else yall might think is important. Thanks in advance.
Team SK3
We don't miss posts...we got auto updates.​
TEAM Black & Mild​

if i was you i would try to go to VCU. Its more of a city-life, and its close to home and thats always good. Im planning on transfering there next year. I heard that the school has a lot to do as for partys and eating. ODU is another good school and everyone i know that goes there likes it there,
as for safety... i dont think you are going to find a safe school.
Im out in Radford Va, and theres reports of stabbings and things like that everyweek.
hope that helped slim.
not a noob... just dont post alot.

I understand if your trying to keep it in-state but I graduated from Fairfax HS and am a Junior at UMD College Park and I really am enjoying my time here. It also depends on what you want to study. One thing I can tell you about UMD is that its been good being so close to NOVA DC and BMORE and you cant beat the metro system if you are not going to have a car. I know a lot of people have looked at Maryland in a bad way since the whole racist incident happened outside the cultural building but I think its a great school if your goal is to come to college and work hard towards your major. As for night life, its just depends on what you like. You have your three main bars Cornerstone Bentley's Santa Fe, if you don't like the bars then what most freshmen do is go to Frat parties, if your not into that then you can try and get into a football or basketball players party. I mean it all just depends on what you like. The best thing to do is to go visit the school and try to check out everything before you commit because if you go solely on what people tell you you might be extremely disappointed when you start your freshmen year.

Sorry I know you didn't ask for an opinion on UMD but I always try to recruit. But really do your homework because which ever one you choose will be your HOME for the next 4 or more years.

Just my 2 cents.
-Lopez

Thanks for the responses so far. 731balla thanks for your UMD info, but I'm mainly lookin at instate school because of the tuition difference, not tryna get stuck with some 30 year plan to pay back student loans. But I feel you on checkin out the colleges before commiting. I'm at actually at ODU right now for the open house there having. I'm going to the VCU one next week on the 13th.

Keep the info coming please.
Team SK3
TEAM Black & Mild​

I also go to VCU and it's alright. I guess it's my fault for not making my college experience a lot more fun, but that's because I'm trying to transfer to Michigan so I'm working my @#%$ off to do so. A lot of sneaker spots are opening up and I think VCU is the most diverse school in VA. VCU may seem like a blow off school, but I know a lot of kids on AP or that actually had to drop out. Personally, if I should have gone to JMU. It's fun there and a lot of my boys go there. Plus URec is nice as hell. Not to mention the co-eds. Good luck wherever you go. College is what you make it, so live it up. I didn't really.
Team Wolverines​
TEAM DUNDER MIFFLIN: Scranton Branch​
"You don't call ******ed people ******s. Bad taste. You call your friends ******s."​

Try looking into JMU or even Virginia Tech, you would have much more fun at those schools then VCU, i went to visit VCU a couple times and it was by far one of the worst college trips i had ever made.
Team Aim Chat
> Ole Miss <

Quote:
instate school because of the tuition difference, not tryna get stuck with some 30 year plan to pay back student loans.
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
teamaerialbots
We're SUPERION to you
Friday Night Lights is the best show on TV​

don't listen to that guy up there...VCU is great...its in the city so you're not locked up in the mountains with just your school...its not far from home...very diverse...VUU is right across the street if that's your thing...U of R is somewhere round here...VCU seems really big and spread out til you actually start class and realize all the classes on on one side of campus...they're building new dorms and a business building...VCU in a few years in gonna be HUGE...
Team I Heart HarlemToTheBronx

aite.. real talk.

im not a student at vcu, my sister goes there.

first impression.. i was like damn.. this is going to be an ignorant mess.. fake j's.. tall t's.. etc

then she told me of all the concerts, free swag etc

years pass.. and its total diff environment imo.. cleaner.. i think they moved the crack house next to 7-11 outta there,and the girls are.. nice...

love it

Quote:
I'ma senior this year(west springfield) and I'm startin this whole college thing. I'm lookin at VCU, ODU, Norfolk, and Hampton. If yall could gimme some pros and cons of those school in the areas of academics, food, campus safety, and night life, and anything else yall might think is important. Thanks in advance.

Philip????????? )if this isnt philip), word to ms rexford

V-Tech right now, is top tier as far as most social scene in any Virginia Schools. To each there own, but i wasnt a fan of VCU and the student population when i went there, plus im not to big on colleges in Cities, just not as fun as a true college town like Blacksburg or Harrisonburg (JMU).
Team Aim Chat
> Ole Miss <

i went to Va tech last yr for promotion. We went to a bar and and their were def more girls than guys.

And they all had pearly whites .. nice girls too.

go to va tech for a weekend.

love it

tech is def. a beautiful school...the food is bangin...just that i personally couldn't be out there like that...
Team I Heart HarlemToTheBronx

Bottom line is visit the schools that might be an option, but remember that there's a whole flipside to every school that the campus guide can't show you. And plus, it all depends on what you want to major in.

I was born and raised in the CITY of Alexandria, went to Mason for two years, wasn't my thing, transfered to VCU and graduated from the art school there (one of the most slept on art schools in the country). After going to Mason for two years and frequently visiting friends and girls at UVA, JMU, Tech, William & Mary, Longwood and ODU, VCU was just the best fit for me.

Although there is a greek system here, it doesn't run the social life. The music scene is poppin no matter what kind of music you like. And with stores like Henry, Ftwrk, Ltd Ed, Need and Hospitality, there's always solid events going on. Drop by any of these stores to get the real scoop when you're in town.

College is what you make of it, kid.

William & Mary is one of the better schools in Virginia, but there social scene is about as fun as Thirsty Thursday at Brigham Young. And i wouldnt put the Greek System at VCU as anything special, unless the basis for that is "they throw keggers and there are frats on campus." other then that, VCU isnt a fratty school at all, neither is VT per say. Just a "State of Virginia tier breakdown for Greek life....

Top Tier:
Hampden-Sydney College
University of Virginia
Washington & Lee

Middle Tier:
Virginia Tech
JMU

Lower Tier:
Longwood
Mason
VCU
CNU
W&M
Marry Washington

Virginia is a pretty fratty state, but you have to get down to about North Carolina/South Carolina to be at the insane schools.
Team Aim Chat
> Ole Miss <

Yo, I appreciate the feedback in here. I wouldn't mind goin to Tech, sounds like a lot of you guys co-sign it. However, I don't got VTech grades, so the school listed is pretty much in my range. I was out in ODU the other day and it was aight. I'm headin out to VCU tomorrow for there open house. Hopefully, that goes good.
Team SK3
TEAM Black & Mild​

Just to put it out there. . .

JMU food > Tech food. Real talk.
Team Wolverines​
TEAM DUNDER MIFFLIN: Scranton Branch​
"You don't call ******ed people ******s. Bad taste. You call your friends ******s."​

yeah D-Halls whatsup. (JMU) that's my current school but i plan on transferring to VCU next year. VCU ODU NSU HU are all pretty diverse schools as far as i know. if thats a key thing ur lookin at than you picked good schools. you won't get that at JMU or VTECH or UVA and that's a big reason why i'm transferring. If your into the party scene and hot white girls than yeah the schools just mentioned are your go-tos. parties r good at vcu n odu but its a whole different type of thing. like JMU n VT r up in the -burgs, middle-of-nowheres so its huge parties everywhere and thats bout the only thing to do in town. i'd go with ODU or VCU if you want some more culture than that and especially if your tryin to keep up on ur clothing/shoe game. (cmonwealth, ftwrk, carytown, sole bros, etc.) yeah but what has been stated previouslly, college is what you make it and also college is college so i wouldn't choose based on prestige. make your choice on where you'd enjoy yourself best.

Since you mentioned NSU and HU, i'm just gonna assume you're black, so you should really decide whether or not you want to go to an HBCU. It's a totally different atmosphere.

After that, just take a day off from school and go down there. I'm sure now lots of schools are having open houses/prospective weekends, so try to make one of those. But it is important to go there on a regular day to see how it really is. Talk to some people about the social scene. With schools like the ones your looking at, you'll be in a relatively urban area, so you don't have to rely on just whats going on at school; you could go to the movies, the mall, a club, etc. I remember many dead nights at H-SC, no one on campus, and nothing else to do.

If your thionking of an HBCU, think about my alma mater, Virginia State University. The school is really making some great strides, with new buildings and upgrades. It's 20 minutes from Richmond, the mall (Southpark) is almost decent, there's a mom and pop here or there, and a lot of weekends different groups will throw parties. The campus is probably the 4th most beautiful, all brick buildings, open areas, trees, in VA.

In sunnary, go down and visit. Or go to VSU. or VCU.
Size 15 presto's, viotech dunks, Air Max Penny's, and other shoes, check the link...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrichiecotiteQQhtZ-1

I'm not trying to be harsh but it appears that you're giving far more preference to college location than to what your declared major is (maybe I missed it but I didn't see your declared major mentioned in any of your posts and I do understand about the in-state tuition part but I'm referring to the in-state schools that you named), from the tone of your posts (and the fact that you even made a thread about it) it sounds as if you're being pushed into it as if it's a step that you HAVE to take right now. My personal opinion is if you already live in NOVA and you don't want to attend a community college first to test the waters then I'd apply to George Mason and live at home for at least the first year, it sounds like you're ponying up the majority of the tuition so if your parents aren't kicking you out and will still give you a place to stay I'd utilize that option as to spend as little $$$ as possible in getting your degree.
THAT WAS A PIMP SCHOOL MAN!

I go to VCU...and yes it is a great school and all of what everybody else has said. But for me personally, I wish I would have gone to where I really wanted to go (Hampton or Howard). You really do need to visit each school and see if you could see yourself there, and think about what you want to major in. Good luck.
TEAMMARVEL
TEAM CARIBBEAN
"Trini tuh de bone"​

Back
Top Bottom