College student on a budget. cheap, easy meals to cook

got my own place with everything i need to cook. i know im gonna get tired of ham sandwiches, pb&j, and omelets. what are a bunch of foods that i can buyand mix with other meals or any other cheap meals. please no ramon noodle recipes.

spaghetti will take you a long way...it gets old but it lasts a few days

start hitting recipe sites..they always have cheap weekday meal categories...

Invest in a George Foreman grill. It'll be the best $20 you'll spend.

After that, go to the local market and get beef, pork chop, turkey, chicken, etc. Also get the stuff like bread, tortillas, muffins, eggs, and pasta. Don'tforget condiments like ketchup and whatever else you like. With that set up, you can mix and match a lot of meals that are tasty, good for you, and cheap.

That's why you get the cheapest meal plan just in case. Take a bunch of food from the dining hall every couple of days and store it.

rice, chicken breast, soy sauce, sugar, pineapples. cook your rice of course. then season and pan fry your chicken. ( a little salt and pepper) then bring soysauce to a boil and add the sugar and pineapples until you get your desired taste. and then you have yourself some cheap quick teriyaki chicken.

but really anything that has noodles or rice is easy to doctor up and add stuff too. all you really need is some type of sauce and meat to add to it. so Iwould recommend some types of dishes that involve those 2 things

any kind of pasta...i used to make fettucini alfredo and penne a la vodka all the time...#@*% never got old

Get a george forman

i usually eat alot of frozen pizza and other frozen stuff... Gets old after a while

get a chick to teach u to cook

-- Egg whites and whole wheat bread

Extra lean beef meat balls and whole wheat pasta

thats 2 i use right now

Originally Posted by wj4

Invest in a George Foreman grill. It'll be the best $20 you'll spend.

Yep... this is essential for any unvierstiy/college student... easy to use, saves time, and you can make a lot with it
Get some pasta... easiest thing to make which that can fill you up and are a lot of varieties of/you can mix and match foods
basic basic - white rice with italian dressing (sounds bad, tastes great)

spaghetti is good for like 3 days

chicken wings (fry em, bake em, or grill em)

burgers

do what trap said and cop a foreman grill, its mad easy. You can grill chicken breast, wings and tenders and also salmon.

noodle3.jpg

If you can find chicken breast on sale do it. I get a whole package of breast slice them up into cutlets, and have grilled chicken for 2-3 days easily. Bestthing about it is you can have it so many different ways once its cooked. Sandwich, in a salad, or gyro style on a pita like i did today.

Another thing i do is buy a couple of pounds of lean ground turkey meat and make a chilli. That's enough for easily 4 days. Cheap too. Goes great overrice, or in a tortilla or on a hamburger bun for a sloppy joe.

the foreman is definitely needed. be sure to check out your local thrift store/goodwill/salvation army because you can find MOST under $10 and im talking aboutlarge sized foremans as well.

and wraps are great as well.

the foreman is definitely needed. be sure to check out your local thrift store/goodwill/salvation army because you can find MOST under $10 and im talking aboutlarge sized foremans as well.

and wraps are great as well.

I dont know about most of you guys but when I was in college leftovers were crucial. Every family function on the weekend or whatever you better believe I wascoming back with some leftovers. That said, a foreman will be your best friend. You can do burgers, chops, steak, anything. That and pasta. Get creative andadd some chopped meat into the sauce, whatever, cooking becomes fun after a while.

Back
Top Bottom