College Students Where Do you Buy Your Textbook from?

Originally Posted by EZLN1

word of advice....if the book you need has older editions, ask your professor if it's cool to buy the previous edition...a lot of them wont mind since they understand the ridiculous prices.

and the other one no one has mentioned....EBAY...a lot of these super expensive books have what they call "international editions"...basically, it's a bootleg copy of the book....same content, but none of those glossy pages...straight black and white copies, softcover and all...it's meant for 3rd world countries, but they still pop up on sites like ebay and even thru sellers via amazon
I remember people being heated when I told them I dropped $40 for a book they just spend $120 in the bookstore
roll.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

that is why i buy my book after a week of class. If i really need it i'll just go to the library. Most professor never even use the book, and tells theclass when they already bought one lol.

Originally Posted by maddog345

Chegg.com

I used them last semester & was very pleased with their service. Shipping was fast. Prices were much cheaper than the college bookstores.

Yupp just ordered my books today and Chegg saved me over $400
smh.gif
smh.gif
engineering books
smokin.gif
@ them planting trees

Originally Posted by ManoftheWest

The price for a college textbook are ridiculously high. I personally just rent my textbook, so i can save as much as i can. But my friend just gave me a good site where you can get some cheap textbooks, with a promo code
pimp.gif
. Thought i share it.

Valorebook
Promo code: lower123

just used this...saved $.87 cents but props regardless
pimp.gif

okay so this is my quarter so im not completely sure.. do some schools makeyou get books from their bookstore or do they just not let you know just so they canget your money?

Originally Posted by Grimey

okay so this is my quarter so im not completely sure.. do some schools makeyou get books from their bookstore or do they just not let you know just so they can get your money?
You're an adult, how would the school make you buy from the bookstore? Teacher don't give a $$@# where you bought the books, or even ifyou bought the book at all. Only way they can force you to use the campus is if they make a custom edition book.

Originally Posted by purepwrta

I use to get my books on half.com. Sometimes I would honestly get my books for TEN CENTS or less. I think the lowest I got a book for was like FOUR CENTS! Then I would look them up on my schools bookstore site and they would be anywhere from $50-close to $200. But every time I would atleast get close to 75%off.

I know exactly what u mean
I'm buying books now as I type
This thread just saved me even more than half.com though
Booksprice is
eek.gif

the deals there are gonna save me even more cash
the only thing is the waiting
I'll make due though
I'd rather save and wait then get robbed up front
+ if u know how to hustle you can make a profit off the books selling to ppl that don't know any better when your done with them

Originally Posted by rcdp

okay so this is my quarter so im not completely sure.. do some schools makeyou get books from their bookstore or do they just not let you know just so they can get your money?
You're an adult, how would the school make you buy from the bookstore? Teacher don't give a $$@# where you bought the books, or even if you bought the book at all. Only way they can force you to use the campus is if they make a custom edition book.

Teacher must "encourage" students to buy books from their school's book store. It's some kind of rule for them. But they all know that theschool rigged up the price on them textbook
laugh.gif

have yet to buy a book since my freshman year... got a few friends with the same major and we just trade off
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Chegg.com ftw, I save sooo much money using them. I can't believe how much money i wasted buying from the bookstore freshman and sophomore year

Originally Posted by ManoftheWest

Originally Posted by rcdp

You're an adult, how would the school make you buy from the bookstore? Teacher don't give a $$@# where you bought the books, or even if you bought the book at all. Only way they can force you to use the campus is if they make a custom edition book.

Teacher must "encourage" students to buy books from their school's book store. It's some kind of rule for them. But they all know that the school rigged up the price on them textbook
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
My teachers tell me to buy them on Amazon.

mine just came today from Barnes & Noble. they were already discounted then got an extra 30% off.
only bad thing was since I ordered so late I went like 2 weeks without any books, so I have a lot of catching up to do

Bought two of mine at amazon. Saved so much money. Honestly if you don't at least look on amazon and you go buy it at your college book store you arepretty much throwing money out the window. It's so easy..and you save a ton of money.

Originally Posted by CJ863

have yet to buy a book since my freshman year... got a few friends with the same major and we just trade off
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
this.

i only own like 2 textbooks, and thats because i actually wanted to have them (our school's econ book is actually pretty interesting)

A lot of my school's books are custom edition so I try and buy them off previous students. Our school has a fyler board that students post selling textbooks. The custom editions are just so annoying sometimes you have no choice but to pay their ridiculous price

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Originally Posted by purepwrta

I use to get my books on half.com. Sometimes I would honestly get my books for TEN CENTS or less. I think the lowest I got a book for was like FOUR CENTS! Then I would look them up on my schools bookstore site and they would be anywhere from $50-close to $200. But every time I would atleast get close to 75%off.

I know exactly what u mean
I'm buying books now as I type
This thread just saved me even more than half.com though
Booksprice is
eek.gif

the deals there are gonna save me even more cash
the only thing is the waiting
I'll make due though
I'd rather save and wait then get robbed up front
+ if u know how to hustle you can make a profit off the books selling to ppl that don't know any better when your done with them

I forgot to add, that when it was time for the book buy back at school, I would make sure I was one of the first people in line so I would get the most $ backfor my books. So some

semesters I would actually profit a few bucks. (At my school they had quotas on some books that once they met the quota they woundnt buy back anymore of thatparticular book)

But yea, sometimes I would have to wait a week or 2 before the book came, but owe well it was well worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom