College Textbooks Unappreciation Post vol. I pay how much for class, at least throw me the book

I hated buying texts, they were running 200-300 new LOL stupid science. Even used online they would run 100 something each. Ah well. I kept all of thembastards too.

Just reminded me I gotta start shopping for books next month.

smh.gif

Lazy B wrote:

Chegg.com
Rent a book and save the environment at the same time.

yep, people sleep on chegg. I just rented 8 textbooks in like new condition for $196 - 10% off + shipping/tax = $191
99036e6f21778bc4c84839f029de7ce81ee1d4e3.gif
99036e6f21778bc4c84839f029de7ce81ee1d4e3.gif

Yep my law books are like 40 or 50 bucks each for the semester. You dont read any of your books after the class, so whats the point in owning the book. Also they are good with highlighting and stuff. CHEGG.COM ftw.

I stopped buying the text books when I started my sophomore year until I absolutely needed them. Don't buy the book until you know you will use it. Youwill be surprised that you really only need about 50% of the books.

Fall 08 I spent 500+
Winter 09 I spent about $50
Spring 09 I spent about $200

Loved Winter because I didn't really buy any books, decided to just use reserves from the library. Gave me incentive to study earlier and more in thelibrary.
SMH at this quarter... I'm taking Stats, Calc, Econ, and English... I'm probably going to have to buy books for all of those classes come September.

Originally Posted by J Burner

Even bigger smack in the face is paying $200 for a book, then a few weeks later selling it back for like $18.
QFT these textbook stores rob you blind..Tombout "oh well this upcoming semester they're updating to the latest addition"...
indifferent.gif
!#$%% please..
smh.gif

smh.gif
I'm an incoming freshman and I still need to order my books. I'm going to wait until the week when classes start, so I can know which books myprofessors require.

I hope my FAFSA gets approved before I start on the 24th.
frown.gif
I had to do a down payment for my classes which was $320. I feel bad for having my parents payingfor it, but whenever the FAFSA, IF, it gets approved we get the money reimbursed so I'm going to use that on books. FML!

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Simple Solution: Don't buy text books. I really have never read at textbook in 4 years of college, I used it to look at example problems and some of my classes had problem sets from the textbook that were required. Check if your library keeps copies of textbooks on reserve at my school each class has a copy of the textbook available in the library. You can only rent it for 2 hours but you can obv make copies of pages you need etc.
thats what i did!!! or half.com if it was absolutely necessary.

Wow I'm going to college next year and I never even THOUGHT of not buying the books. I'm going to do it now
laugh.gif
. I survived AP Biology without a book( I lost it) so I should be good.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Chegg.com

I literally saved over $400 last semester by using Chegg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Chegg.com

I'm thinking of using Chegg this year for my books as well. Can anyone school me on its policy though? Are you allowed to highlight/writeinside the book? Also what is this "trade cloth" binding I'm hearing about?

Man, ebay has been my best friend regarding textbooks! Two of my classes required textbooks that are being sold in the student store for $120, $140respectively, yet I managed to get both of those books for a total of $25 TOTAL!

The worst is every year is a new friking edition. Once your done with the class you can't sell your 10,946th edition because the 10,945 edition just cameout!@!@!

Once thing i will be trying this year with my accounting book, is posting up flyrs in the school near all the accounting rooms saying i have the book for sale.Sell it cheaper than the schools used book price and students will be calling you within a day... your making more than what the school would have charged youas well.

Learned my lesson from fall quarter.. bought only 1 book the winter quarter and 1 spring quarter.. didn't affect my grades that much since I just shared w/other people or read notes online.
Just hoping next quarter won't require me to purchase any online hw thing, which is required, FTL!!

I havent bought text books since freshman yr...

First day of class i always just ask the teacher to borrow one of theirs until mine comes in (which it never will)...

pimp.gif
works every time...

comegetused.com (if they have it at your campus -most affordable way to purchase books)

if not:
half.com
amazon.com (<-- still kinda pricey)

Back
Top Bottom