Compression Shorts Question

I've been getting ready for this upcoming season and I'm starting to realize that my body is getting older. My joints in my knees and ankles are shot to pieces. My quads and calfs get sore after a few runs. I've been looking to invest in some compression shorts and through my searches, I have found nothing that meets my needs. Does anyone know any compression shorts out there that fit over the knee? I'm really not trying to wear compression shorts and knee pads at the same time. Thanks fam!

72435010_z.jpg

I've worn tights in the past, those exact same ones actually. Wasn't for me, I figured I give compression shorts a try

Originally Posted by af1 1982

I wear tights, those exact same ones actually. 

You wont catch me without them during the Winter months. If you have bad knees, (post reconstructive knee surgery in one, patella tendonitis in the other for me) they're a godsend. 

Look into Skins (http://www.skins.net/en-US/index.aspx)
The point of compression gear is to compress your muscles to push out lactic acid and move in fresh oxygen rich blood. A lot of companies, including Nike hasn't gotten this correct.

I am a cyclist, track cyclist to be specific, and I spend a significant amount of time in the gym as well as on the bike. I wear compression tights from them and they aid in recovery like no other. They use gradient compression which applies different amounts of compression to different areas, which makes wearing them for longer periods of time more bearable and again, aids in compression and blood circulation. I also played football for a significant portion of my life including a practice team for a D1 university, and they work the same for me.

I've had the Skins recovery tights and they work well - but I never noticed them doing anything for my knees - I don't think the compression is designed for that - apart from a little extra warmth the knees are only there to join the thighs to the calves.

I mostly wear the socks now and they're great.

Originally Posted by kdawg

I've had the Skins recovery tights and they work well - but I never noticed them doing anything for my knees - I don't think the compression is designed for that - apart from a little extra warmth the knees are only there to join the thighs to the calves.

I mostly wear the socks now and they're great.
I only wear them for warmth. My knees act up too much in the cold. I didn't even know about the recovery benefits. 

Save your money and just buy regular tights then - you can get cheap lycra running or cycling tights that will keep you warm for about $15 - my Skins were about $80.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

You wont catch me without them during the Winter months. If you have bad knees, (post reconstructive knee surgery in one, patella tendonitis in the other for me) they're a godsend. 

Gonna have to give this a shot. I gave up on running because my tendonitis got too bad.

And in my experience the Nike pro compressions are the most comfortable

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Gonna have to give this a shot. I gave up on running because my tendonitis got too bad.

They're comfy as all hell....but they provide no sort of support for the knee. If your knees are bad, chances are you have a more serious issue than a pair of compression leggings can ratify. Try a neoprene knee brace. Or try taking care of the root of the issue - if it's tendonitis, start icing, reducing swelling and eventually strengthening your quads. Calves, start doing raises and stretch correctly. 

Sounds like you just aren't prepping your body the correct way.

I do squats whenever I lift which is about 3 times a week. I do resistance band exercises for my ankle every time I play ball. I stretch before and after ball. I'm not looking for much support per say. I'm just looking for something to keep my ligaments, tendons, and muscles warm to help prevent pain after I ball.

Originally Posted by pookieman

They're comfy as all hell....but they provide no sort of support for the knee. If your knees are bad, chances are you have a more serious issue than a pair of compression leggings can ratify. Try a neoprene knee brace. Or try taking care of the root of the issue - if it's tendonitis, start icing, reducing swelling and eventually strengthening your quads. Calves, start doing raises and stretch correctly. 

2 surgeries (patellar debridements) and 4 years of PT trying to treat the issue.  It's a lot better now, but still acts up every once in a while.  I've had probably a dozen different braces/sleeves and they're helpful, but bulky and uncomfortable.  Figure I can give this a shot, worst case scenario I waste $30 and look like an %$@ at the gym for running in tights
laugh.gif

I do squats whenever I lift which is about 3 times a week. I do resistance band exercises for my ankle every time I play ball. I stretch before and after ball. I'm not looking for much support per say. I'm just looking for something to keep my ligaments, tendons, and muscles warm to help prevent pain after I ball.

That's too many squats a week - you probably want to do them twice at most. That's not going to be helping you.

i still got my nike tights somewhere, i might break them out one day
laugh.gif

I would say the Nike Tights or the Jordan Compression shorts, they've definitely done the job for me

Originally Posted by kdawg

That's too many squats a week - you probably want to do them twice at most. That's not going to be helping you.
I disagree. I squat 3-4 times a week on top of my training on the bike. As long as you do them correctly, progress slowly, watch for any signs of injury, and rest appropriately you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by pookieman

2 surgeries (patellar debridements) and 4 years of PT trying to treat the issue.  It's a lot better now, but still acts up every once in a while.  I've had probably a dozen different braces/sleeves and they're helpful, but bulky and uncomfortable.  Figure I can give this a shot, worst case scenario I waste $30 and look like an %$@ at the gym for running in tights
laugh.gif
Its funny but proper deep squats were what cured all knee pain for me. I had tendonitis in both knees and after two weeks of work it was cured. And don't worry, I always look like a !@!!!%! in the gym wearing tights until they see the "skinny" 187lb 6'2 man squatting 415. If worst comes to worst see an Ortho, which is the one who recommended me to do squats and use tights. This and the knowledge of my coach healed me up in due time.

Back
Top Bottom