Computer advancement since the late 90s

jbpkickz

Banned
i was talkin to my boy the other day bout how much technology has rele changed since we were kids, I remember my first pc was in 1997 I remember it had like 500megahertz processor like 254 mb of ram and had slow as snails windows 95, I remember when we had dial up an had to look at struggle pron while it still loaded, now kids at 13 got iPhones more powerful than my first computer, what do you think they can do to advance it even more or what would you like to see , hopefully one day they will have a nationwide free wireless, or the elimination of viruses completely

Originally Posted by jbpkickz

hopefully one day they will have a nationwide free wireless, or the elimination of viruses completely   
pass whatever you are smokin

Originally Posted by go rilla

jbpkickz wrote:

hopefully one day they will have a nationwide free wireless, or the elimination of viruses completely   

laugh.gif
I can have pipe dreams too

Remember Netzero, and Juno mail (both had hacks as to where you could disable the ads 
pimp.gif

My first PC was a packard bell 486 (pre-pentium I) 8 MB of ram, 400MB hard drive, 14.4 baud modem and windows 3.1.1

upgraded to a 56k when they came out
pimp.gif
but my processor still took ages to load a website...
laugh.gif

miss those days..

Got a pII 233mhz, and played starcraft for the first time...mind = blown

I rememebr when I was young, I had the only pc on my block. Cats used to come thru to check their emails from biddies instead of going to the library. I thought I was the man

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Take a look at some time lines. Ray Kurzweil has a good track record of making technology predictions that are pretty accurate. Check out his vision. According to him, singularity happens at 2045, which, in my opinion, means were living in a sort of "last days". Dont take today for granted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil  

some of those predictions are pretty frightening

jbpkickz wrote:

laugh.gif

Its not a pipe dream, its actually called Mesh Networking

Today's technology is based on who can make the best "SOFTWARE", computing is gradually moving into the cloud and have the best "HARDWARE" is not key selling point anymore since the internet connections are becoming faster server side computing can handle the power for certain applications.

The next generation of computing is "QUANTUM COMPUTING"/ "NANO COMPUTING" were ways off, but the research is getting us there.

I forget what movie it was in....maybe Gattaga (or whatever with ethan hawk and jude law)

But where dudes would go to that parlor and have sex fantasies with head gear on.  Be like having wet dreams with the girl of your dreams whenever you wanted to......the future
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

laugh.gif

Its not a pipe dream, its actually called Mesh Networking

Today's technology is based on who can make the best "SOFTWARE", computing is gradually moving into the cloud and have the best "HARDWARE" is not key selling point anymore since the internet connections are becoming faster server side computing can handle the power for certain applications.

The next generation of computing is "QUANTUM COMPUTING"/ "NANO COMPUTING" were ways off, but the research is getting us there.
there is free wifi in mountain view california provided by google.

saw this on another website comparing the 2010 iphone 4 vs a 2000 imac:

iMac
Operating System - Mac OS 9.0.4
Processor - 500 MHz PowerPC G3 CPU, 128MB Memory
Graphics - ATI Rage 128 Pro, 8MB of memory (8 million triangles)
Screen - 786K pixels
Data Transfer Speeds - 1.3-12.5 MB/s (DVD-ROM-1/100 Ethernet)
Storage - 30GB Hard Drive
Dimensions - 15.0 x 15.0 x 17.1 inches
Weight - 34.7 pounds

iPhone 4
Operating System - iOS 4.0
Processor - 1 Ghz ARM A4 CPU, 512MB Memory
Graphics - PowerVR SGX 535, uses system memory (28 million triangles)
Screen - 614K pixels
Data Transfer Speeds - .04-20MB/s (3G-WiFi)
Storage - 32GB Flash Drive
Dimensions - 4.5 x 2.31 x .31 inches
Weight - 4.8 ounces

^^in just 10 years a handheld device >>> what was considered a higher end computer.

which begs the question, will our phones in 2022 be more powerful than current desktop/laptop computers. i say yes

Originally Posted by myusername

^^in just 10 years a handheld device >>> what was considered a higher end computer.

which begs the question, will our phones in 2022 be more powerful than current desktop/laptop computers. i say yes

laugh.gif
"more powerful" is an understatement.

Originally Posted by damn its me

Remember Netzero, and Juno mail (both had hacks as to where you could disable the ads 
pimp.gif

My first PC was a packard bell 486 (pre-pentium I) 8 MB of ram, 400MB hard drive, 14.4 baud modem and windows 3.1.1

upgraded to a 56k when they came out
pimp.gif
but my processor still took ages to load a website...
laugh.gif

miss those days..

Got a pII 233mhz, and played starcraft for the first time...mind = blown
i had a 386DX
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

mud.gif

M.U.D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> World of World Craft
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Take a look at some time lines. Ray Kurzweil has a good track record of making technology predictions that are pretty accurate. Check out his vision. According to him, singularity happens at 2045, which, in my opinion, means were living in a sort of "last days". Dont take today for granted.

eek.gif
Crazy...some of that %*+! is ON POINT. I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with most of the stuff beyond now...

Originally Posted by potus2028

eek.gif
Crazy...some of that %*+! is ON POINT. I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with most of the stuff beyond now...

I try to avoid predictions and things of this nature

but that was a good perspective read of what "could" be our "future"

Back
Top Bottom