Computer geeks, quick Windows upgrade question...

I'll put this in cliff note form.

-My cousin had his PC partitioned and had both Windows XP and Vista.
-The XP side was used to record music using Pro Tools, the Vista side was for the Internet.
-XP has now crashed.
-He wants to install Windows 7 + add Pro Tools 9.
-His ball park figure of doing this is about $800.

Is there anyway of getting this price cheaper? Any shortcuts?

Spoiler [+]
Here's our convo...
Me (5:57 PM):
How much does it cost to get your PC back to being able to record?
Nemesis Mitchell (8:14 PM):
Around $800 give or take. The upgrade is a little over $200 for the operating system. The pro tools I had ran on 64bit xp. The next pro tools runs on 64b
Nemesis Mitchell (8:14PM):
it Windows 7. I currently have 32 bit vista. The new pro tools can not run on xp, plus I would need an xp disc plus Darnay to partition mydrive again. S
o I have no choice but to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7. And get pro tools 9 which is $600.
Me (8:17PM):
Holy s***!!! That's absolutely ridiculous and real talk, it doesn't cost anywhere near that much. I had Vista re-installed on my PC for $70 more than once. I know the upgrade is expensive but $800 is a new PC. Let me ask NikeTalk right quick. BRB...
Nemesis Mitchell (8:20 PM):
Go head, but remember I'm not upgrading. I have to have my operating system superior completely. Because I am running 32bit vista. If I was running 64 bi
t I could just simply upgrade for around $100
Nemesis Mitchell (8:21 PM):
operating system wiped completely

I'll put this in cliff note form.

-My cousin had his PC partitioned and had both Windows XP and Vista.
-The XP side was used to record music using Pro Tools, the Vista side was for the Internet.
-XP has now crashed.
-He wants to install Windows 7 + add Pro Tools 9.
-His ball park figure of doing this is about $800.

Is there anyway of getting this price cheaper? Any shortcuts?

Spoiler [+]
Here's our convo...
Me (5:57 PM):
How much does it cost to get your PC back to being able to record?
Around $800 give or take. The upgrade is a little over $200 for the operating system. The pro tools I had ran on 64bit xp. The next pro tools runs on 64b
Nemesis Mitchell (8:14PM):
it Windows 7. I currently have 32 bit vista. The new pro tools can not run on xp, plus I would need an xp disc plus Darnay to partition mydrive again. S
o I have no choice but to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7. And get pro tools 9 which is $600.
Me (8:17PM):
Holy s***!!! That's absolutely ridiculous and real talk, it doesn't cost anywhere near that much. I had Vista re-installed on my PC for $70 more than once. I know the upgrade is expensive but $800 is a new PC. Let me ask NikeTalk right quick. BRB...
Go head, but remember I'm not upgrading. I have to have my operating system superior completely. Because I am running 32bit vista. If I was running 64 bi
t I could just simply upgrade for around $100
Nemesis Mitchell (8:21 PM):
operating system wiped completely

buy a mac.

edit: pro tools aint cheap, $600 is not bad, n who knows with what add ons that comes with....

buy a mac.

edit: pro tools aint cheap, $600 is not bad, n who knows with what add ons that comes with....

I mean u can obviously do that for less than $800, just gotta look around the interwebz. Not tellin u to d/l any torrents but aey... Tell em to holla at somebody who goes to a university w/ a Microsoft license and get the Windows for free or super cheap. Since he has a budget. Tell him to get rid of Vista all together, that crap sucks, get a new hdd or invest in a sdd and rock out

I mean u can obviously do that for less than $800, just gotta look around the interwebz. Not tellin u to d/l any torrents but aey... Tell em to holla at somebody who goes to a university w/ a Microsoft license and get the Windows for free or super cheap. Since he has a budget. Tell him to get rid of Vista all together, that crap sucks, get a new hdd or invest in a sdd and rock out

merge both partitions. no need to have both windows 7 & vista. you can find windows 7 for "cheap" by looking around the interwebs. total cost will be severly under $800. 
edit: for $800 he could get a really nice pc with windows 7 already installed. 

merge both partitions. no need to have both windows 7 & vista. you can find windows 7 for "cheap" by looking around the interwebs. total cost will be severly under $800. 
edit: for $800 he could get a really nice pc with windows 7 already installed. 

Back
Top Bottom