Conan O'Brien -- Free at Last

I remember a year ago, Bill Simmons (of all people) predicted that Leno would be back hosting The Tonight Show by September 2010. His reasoning was that NBCknew they couldn't keep Conan happy at 12:30, so they put him in a position to fail at 11:30 so they could be justified at stickingLeno back at a later date

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Leno knew Kimmel would make fun of him, you can't ask Kimmel questions and give him all the power and not expect jokes back.

At this point it's clear Leno doesn't care what anyone thinks, he'll wait out the jokes and insults until he can get The Tonight Show back and he doesn't care.
QFT. It's all about ratings at this point. Leno doesn't really care how bad he looks right now, he knew exactly what he was getting intoby bringing Kimmel on. The man did an entire show mocking Leno, obviously he is gonna go off on Leno's show. Really, what more can Leno do? He's gonnabe the bad guy in this no matter what happens, even if he ignores the issue. Might as well get the most out of it because I'm sure he feels pretty stronglythat his original audience will still return to watch him when he gets back to the Tonight Show.

It's Over! NBC to Pay Conan $30M

NBC has its way out of the Conan Crisis.
The network has agreed to pay O'Brien $30 million to vacate the 11:35 p.m. "Tonight Show," sources involved in the negotiations have told TheWrap.

The deal, which still has to be formally signed, will be announced later Friday.

NBCU President and CEO Jeff Zucker, NBCU Television Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin and Co-Chairman NBC Entertainment and NBC Televison Studio Marc Graboff were involved in the final all-night negotiations. The deal was brokered by Universal CEO Ron Meyer, who was brought in on Tuesday, after talks had reached an impasse.

http://www.thewrap.com/article/breaking-nbc-pay-conan-30m-13048

Originally Posted by JumpmanJordanAddict89

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

if Conan's Leno's ratings @ 10pm were not so low then this would never of happened.
When Jay was at 1135 they were #1 in rating and when conan took over the #2 or 3 i forgot.
I'm pretty sure it took more than 7 months for Jay Leno to beat Letterman when he first took over the tonight show
grin.gif

all i got to say is, im glad i was able to watch a live taping of the tonight show with COCO... dude was hilarious, especially when he was on breaks, dude wasgoofy.

Nobody was watching Leno when he first took over as Late night hst, it took years and NBC bcking to get loyal viewers. They're not doing that w/ Conan,theyre not protecting their investment.

I expect executive firings after all this

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

if Conan's Leno's ratings @ 10pm were not so low then this would never of happened.
When Jay was at 1135 they were #1 in rating and when conan took over the #2 or 3 i forgot.
That doesn't matter here, though. The reason this happened right now is because the affiliatescomplained about Leno's show being poor lead-ins for their 11pm newscast. That has nothing to do with Conan's show or his ratings. It had to do withLeno failing at 10pm, and I honestly think he did it on purpose too, he knew NBC would make a change if he sucked.

how much is conan contract? if it was 40 mil but got 30 he still got a deal.... the only thing is his team is the only ones that are left out... but im sure hecan get a late night show somewhere... i mean if magic got a show y cant conan... so im not worried about him... he will get a gig but i doubt it will be atnbc

Originally Posted by you go boy

how much is conan contract? if it was 40 mil but got 30 he still got a deal.... the only thing is his team is the only ones that are left out... but im sure he can get a late night show somewhere... i mean if magic got a show y cant conan... so im not worried about him... he will get a gig but i doubt it will be at nbc

Itd be sick if Conan went to FOX, and Letterman retired as Conan's contract with FOX was expiring... I wonder how much longer Letterman wants to go for.

Dude has some balls to blame Conan for anything.

It's almost like he knows nothing about television.

I think i read Conan has a "no compete clause" so he can't really do Fox....but TMZ reported it would be possible, but NBC would have to pay thedifference. Either way, Conan makes money, but the guy really cares about his staff...Anyone remember during the writers strike he grew the beard?

Angel

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Originally Posted by you go boy

how much is conan contract? if it was 40 mil but got 30 he still got a deal.... the only thing is his team is the only ones that are left out... but im sure he can get a late night show somewhere... i mean if magic got a show y cant conan... so im not worried about him... he will get a gig but i doubt it will be at nbc

Itd be sick if Conan went to FOX, and Letterman retired as Conan's contract with FOX was expiring... I wonder how much longer Letterman wants to go for.
I think when Letterman decide to retires, Jon Stewart will replace him. It makes sense to me since both are great when they interview guests andJon Stewart is a huge admirer of Letterman like he was to Johnny Carson.

"In the press this week, NBC has been calling me every name in the book. In fact, they think I'm such an idiot they now want me to run thenetwork."

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

howard sterns gotta be on the last show

Conan pimpin now everybody!
pimp.gif
I'm not even a Stern fan but I'd love to see him go in on Leno.

Conan should bring out all the stops next week (Triumph, Pimpbot 5000, the bear, etc).

Originally Posted by hennySMASH

Nobody was watching Leno when he first took over as Late night hst, it took years and NBC bcking to get loyal viewers. They're not doing that w/ Conan, theyre not protecting their investment.

I expect executive firings after all this
It's ironic because some of NBC's big successes needed time.

-Jay Leno hosting tonight show
-Conan hosting Late Night
-Seinfeld (wasn't an over night success at all).

Yet they won't even give Conan a year.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by funkdoctor73

I think i read Conan has a "no compete clause" so he can't really do Fox....but TMZ reported it would be possible, but NBC would have to pay the difference. Either way, Conan makes money, but the guy really cares about his staff...Anyone remember during the writers strike he grew the beard?

Angel
The settlement most likely will waive the no compete clause, so Conan should be free.

I highly doubt Conan just takes the 30 mil and just chills, he's going to take care of his staff for sure. I loved his strike beard
laugh.gif
Conan started asa writer obviously, so he knows what it's like to struggle as a comedy writer.

It's been clear that Jeff Zucker has been putting NBC in the crapper, he's an awful executive and really doesn't know how to manage talent orprogramming at all.

Back
Top Bottom