Confessions of a Hotel Housekeeper

[h4]
[/h4]

[h3]"Instead of Vacuuming, I Picked Up Some Crumbs"[/h3]

Budget Travel, February 2009

The best guests sleep in

Three simple letters could inspire the "Hallelujah" chorus: DND, or do not disturb. One sign hanging on a doorknob, and the day's work wasshortened by half an hour. Two signs? Pure heaven, but only if they remained there until my eight-hour shift ended-otherwise I'd have to circle back andclean the rooms. My daily list of 15 rooms (out of 325 in the hotel) consisted of DOs (due out) and Os (occupied), which in housekeeping lingo meant the guestswere scheduled to check out or were staying another night. An occupied room was less labor-intensive (making the beds rather than changing the sheets saved me20 minutes), but there was always the possibility the guest would stay in the room while you worked. One man watched me clean his entire room, from scrubbingthe toilet to emptying the trash-and told me at the end that I was "building character." Condescension is not nearly as encouraging to a maid as acouple of dollars.

As long as it looked clean

I cut corners everywhere I could. Instead of vacuuming, I found that just picking up the larger crumbs from the carpet would do. Rather than scrub the tubwith hot water, sometimes it was just a spray-and-wipe kind of day. After several weeks on the job, I discovered that the staff leader who inspected the roomscouldn't tell the difference between a clean sink and one that was simply dry, so I would often just run a rag over the wet spots. But I never skippedchanging the sheets. I wouldn't sink that low, no matter how lazy I was feeling.

A bacterial wonderland

I was disgusted by the many guests I came in contact with through the things they left behind: the hairs on the pillow, the urine on the toilet seat, thehalf-eaten cookie, the stained sheets. One woman had soiled her sheets so thoroughly that we had to toss them in a biohazard bag-they could never be usedagain. Rooms where young kids stayed were the worst, with food ground into the carpet and piles of used diapers in the trash. That kind of demoralizing messcould take 45 minutes to clean up. Most maids wore rubber gloves when they worked, but mine were too big, so I discarded them. Unsurprisingly, I got the flutwice.

Not for love - or money

I didn't know maids received tips, so it took me weeks to realize that the coins left in rooms were an intentional gift. My tips were paltry: I almostnever received more than $1, and at times guests left religious pamphlets. One day, however, I was shocked to find a crisp $100 bill lying on a table. Althoughthe generous tip put a little spring in my step and compelled me to do a better job that day, it didn't change my work ethic for long. I apologize to younow if you ever stayed in one of my rooms. You deserved better. But if housekeepers were paid more than minimum wage-and the tips were a bit better-I mighthave cleaned your toilet rather than just flushed it.

But if housekeepers were paid more than minimum wage-and the tips were a bit better-I might have cleaned your toilet rather than just flushed it.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

man, being someone who travels alot...this disturbs me....although I try not to expect much, even from the nicest of establishments....looks like im gonna haveto start packing my own disinfectant.
-sf77

It's true. I write this from a hotel front desk as we speak. I have my driver "clean" the same room 3-4 times in one 8 hour shift and bag up allthe short stays into my pocket. COME TO MY HOTEL GUYS!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

thats why i always sleep on top of the covers, bring my own pillow, and light blanket
laugh.gif

does anyone remember the thread about the kid who was choking on a used condom in a hotel room? that was gross

Originally Posted by NDZTRUCKT

NT's General Forum is in dire need for more of these type of posts....
[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]been on a decline recently..hopefully the "thread of the year" can be thegeneral forums savior[/color]

Originally Posted by wanksta23

thats why i always sleep on top of the covers, bring my own pillow, and light blanket
laugh.gif
WTH, why would you want to sleep on the top covers? They dont even change the top covers everytime, theyll only change the sheets.

Originally Posted by ashleythetall

does anyone remember the thread about the kid who was choking on a used condom in a hotel room? that was gross
what the? seriously?

I work at a hotel and i hang out in rooms all the time and on occasion watch tv while on the bed and afterwards just fluff the pillows and take the wrinklesout of the cover and im good to go.....hotel rooms are NEVER totally clean no matter how nice the hotel.

man whatever you do, do not use the glasses or cups at hotel rooms. Who knows if they have been washed with soup or rinsed out with bleach

Originally Posted by Nktran001

But if housekeepers were paid more than minimum wage-and the tips were a bit better-I might have cleaned your toilet rather than just flushed it.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Dont you got some exposing to do?
nerd.gif

One man watched me clean his entire room, from scrubbing the toilet to emptying the trash-and told me at the end that I was "building character."
roll.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif

This reminds me of the time I had a dream I was standing over the toilet and wet the bed at a hotel and as not to alert my parents of what I did I piled sheetsover it to hide the smell and slept in the chair. The next afternoon after we came back from where ever we came from the housekeepers were icing me real crazy.
pimp.gif

I think they put a new bed in.

Originally Posted by Mac A Roni

Originally Posted by NDZTRUCKT

NT's General Forum is in dire need for more of these type of posts....
[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]been on a decline recently..hopefully the "thread of the year" can be the general forums savior[/color]
That thread was TRASH though.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom