Congrats to Vocal Digital Courtesy of Counter Kicks

rockdeep

Banned
Congrats to a dude I know has the Talent and the drive and most of all the Patience.... He is the second coming of Petrie aka AlphaFlight..

Vocal Congrats my man. You deserve it.

Great Article:

14-Jan-2010

Posted by : John Brilliant

Comments: (2)

[h2]It Was All A Dream: Tony Hardman, Nike Employee[/h2]
Category : Counter Kicks, Nike, Project Bluefoot

Tags: Aaron Cooper, 'Wayne Edwards, Denis Dekovic, Jason Petrie, Nike, NikeTalk, Project Bluefoot, Skechers, Tony Hardman

tony-hardman-nike-employee-interview-projectbluefoot-600.jpg

Tony Hardman was part of the original judging team for the Air Jordan Design Competition on Counter Kicks' official footwear design division, Project Bluefoot. His unconventional route into the footwear industry took him from working retail to freelancing at Jordan Brand and eventually working at Skechers. And now? Meet your newest Nike Employee, Tony Hardman…

-
As originally posted on Counter Kicks' footwear design division, Project Bluefoot:
tony-hardman-nike-employee-interview-projectbluefoot-nkpk-white-600x394.jpg

Project Bluefoot: I know it's been your life long dream to work at Nike. How did it feel to finally get hired there?

Tony Hardman: Man, honestly it's hard to really fathom. Obviously, getting a dream job…it doesn't get any more exciting or rewarding than that! On the other hand, I had put so much effort into it, that it actually felt like it was earned by the time it happened. The excitement will really kick in once I step on to the campus in a week or so!

tony-hardman-nike-employee-interview-projectbluefoot-air-jordan-xxiv-600x457.jpg

PBF: What athletic category did you get hired in at Nike?

Hardman: I'll be jumping into the Core Performance category, which is a great spot for me to start. We create performance products at a lower price point, but maintain the excitement and innovative solutions you'll find in any category at Nike. It's great to come in and learn directly from guys who I have been studying and looking up to for years. They have definitely set the stage for me to be successful and I can't wait to get to work!

tony-hardman-nike-employee-interview-projectbluefoot-puma-parkour-600x787.jpg

PBF: Talk about your design journey on getting to Nike. Where did it start and how involved and long was the process of getting hired at Nike?

Hardman: Getting at Nike was a long process for sure. I have been dreaming about it for 20 years now and giving it 110% effort for about the last 8. It's funny because when I went home for Christmas, my mom was saying "I remember you sitting at the table drawing shoes as a kid and saying you were going to do it for a living someday. I never actually thought you would be doing it! What do I know?!" My path was pretty unconventional though. As many people know I was just a regular shoe head working retail management jobs and drawing shoes at night.

Initially Jason Petrie was a huge inspiration for me and eventually my first mentor back when he was designing for Fila. Eventually, Denis Dekovic (who now works at Nike doing women's training) noticed some of my work on NikeTalk and emailed me the contact info for several big names in the footwear industry. Aaron Cooper was one of those names and also one of the main guys who reached out to me 8 years ago and set me on the right path. While I was in the process of building a book of work to send to him, he moved off to Europe to head up a new design group. Around the same time Jason Petrie had just been hired and put me in contact with D'Wayne Edwards who was the design director for Jordan Brand. So I sent the book to DE and he gave me my first big shot freelancing in 2004 for Jordan…definitely an amazing experience. D'Wayne had worked at Skechers earlier in his career, so he was able to pull a few strings and get me in front of them to interview for a full time position. So over the last 5 years I've been working on some really fun product with the Skechers kids team while building a portfolio of performance product in my free time. 11-12 interviews later, Nike finally saw my potential and gave me the shot I have been dreaming about!

tony-hardman-nike-employee-interview-projectbluefoot-vitus-lab-600x462.jpg

PBF: What's your ultimate goal at Nike and in your design career in general?

Hardman: Really the next step for me is to absorb and learn as much as I can from the crazy talented and knowledgeable people I will be surrounded by at Nike. Many of the designers I grew up idolizing I will be working with on a daily basis. That's an opportunity not too many people get to experience in life, so I plan to take full advantage of it! Seeing other people's work inspires me to design just like watching MJ inspired me to want to play ball. Ultimately, I'd want to have an impact on as many categories as I can, and work on some product that really inspires people either artistically or athletically. If I can design a shoe that really makes someone want to go out and be the best at their sport, and actually make them better in the process, at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. There's nothing more exciting than that! Now that I've sort of conquered this initial goal of just getting in the door, I'll be focused on setting a new, and more "impossible" goal, like getting into a director position or something of that nature. But there's a LOT to learn, so right now I'm just excited to be a part of the history of such a great company and look forward to the future and the possibilities. You never know what's around the corner! I'm looking forward to doing some NON-SHOE related art work in my off time as well!

tony-hardman-nike-employee-interview-projectbluefoot-under-armour-field-warrior-camo-trainer-600x463.jpg

PBF: What words of advice can you give to the next generation of designers trying to break into the industry?

Hardman: 3 words: Practice, patience and persistence! If there's anything I have learned from this journey, it's that you really can accomplish anything you put your mind to. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be easy. You have to be strong and focused to see it through, and willing to solve the problems and overcome the obstacles that will ultimately come with any goal you set for yourself. Networking and seeking feedback from a few key mentors was HUGE for me, and I think essential for anybody looking to break through. But the other piece to that is actually LISTENING and DOING. I can't tell you how many people have emailed me, seeking advice, then never following through. I think one thing Nike saw in me was a real desire to take in what people were telling me, then adding it to my skill set through practice and applying it to my latest projects. Shoe design is such a multi-skilled trade that you have to constantly evolve and add pieces to your arsenal just to keep up. Not only are you just designing the shoe from an aesthetic standpoint, but also learning to connect with different consumers, developing innovative performance solutions for the athlete, creating logos and graphics, familiarizing yourself with the constantly evolving manufacturing processes and selecting the right materials and colors just to name a few. The competition is FIERCE now, and on an international level - so if you are not prepared to consistently listen and grow you are already out of the game. I have just always been willing to pay my dues, and I truly believe that hard work will always pay off in the end! Cliche, but true!

tony-hardman-nike-employee-interview-projectbluefoot-kobe-6-clean-toe-purp-600x382.jpg

PBF: Any last words you want to get out?

Hardman: There's a term that people have used over the years to describe me and I'd like to take this opportunity to change it. The term is "self-taught". Coming from a retail background and not having a degree always kind of led people to this conclusion that I must be "self-taught". For the longest time I actually bought into it myself until I really sat and thought about that, then I realized it was the most ridiculous thing ever! I'm actually the furthest thing from self-taught. I learned from an incredible network of people over the years that I want to take an opportunity to thank for reaching out, because without them, I wouldn't know a damn thing! [Laughs.] There are too many to mention individually, but Jason Petrie, Aaron Cooper, D'Wayne Edwards and Denis Dekovic were amazing mentors and never gave a second thought to sharing their knowledge with me. The whole team at Skechers who really took me under their wing and showed me the ropes on so many levels when I came in thinking I knew it all, but really knew nothing! Also all my peers who supported, encouraged, inspired and provided honest feedback through various sites over the years. Thanks guys! I look forward to returning the favor to the next generation of guys coming up. Remember - once you can do something you love for a living, you never have to work a day again the rest of your life! -TH

-
Visit our Footwear Design Division at Project Bluefoot.com

Remember - once you can do something you love for a living, you never have to work a day again the rest of your life!
Absolutely love that last line...something I would like to aspire to as well...

Nice to post this on Vocal Rock and nice to see that NT was also an avenue which got him exposed and ultimately to the position he's in now ofcoursealongside his skill, networking and will to learn. It all just shows that with hard work, perserverance, persistance and humility you can achieve what you wanteven if your mother "actually never thought" a seemingly meaningless hobby can get you somewhere.

Those UA kicks and Kobe's with the Hyperflight-esque shape to it, when do they drop!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
and that Vitus brand pair of kicks
eek.gif
, would like to see what theend product would be! Looks really interesting. Bball, cross training?

Big up to him and all the best on his new journey beginning at the campus! And looking at those designs, good thing he's on "our" team...

Congrats! I've been looking at your work for years now and can tell this is something you have worked very hard on and have the talent for.
Good luck and enjoy it- you definitely deserve this opportunity

sticking to a dream and fulfilling it.. thats awesome. a great life lesson for many people.

i cant help but feel there may be some letdown on an artistic front. ive seen some great "designs" over the years similar to the photos above, andnot often are those actually "realized" and done justices to. is it greener on the other side? i hope something can change
pimp.gif

Congratulations! You deserve this incredible opportunity, you and your work have helped inspire me over the years, ever since you reached out to me on NT andlet me ask you a bunch of questions about the profession. Now I'm in college aiming to become a designer like yourself. I wish you the best of luck!

wow great news dude! You deserve it. Having seen your work evolve throughout the years really displayed your devotion and creativity. Good Luck and let'ssee some crazy stuff out of Nike from you.

Arff23: You are going to be next dude, your work has vastly improved throughout the years as well. Keep it up!

Well deserved. I always enjoyed seeing his work, I will never forget his avatar.

Good luck and continue to climb up that ladder.

I personally think it's great that NT has been a conduit to MANY talented folks getting to the Beav. Altho some would never claim having been an NTer.. itsgood to know those who still do to set an example for others that come behind them in whatever dream they have... should it be design, marketing, productdevelopment or engineering...

If you work hard and ignore those who say "cant" or "wont" You can do it. It's a great experience. I'm happy to have know certainguys before they got to the swoosh and experienced that journey.

BP I still have faith my man. If I dont see my name in that article Im putting a stink bomb in your shoe collection!!! lololol

Tony/Vocal, much congratulations. I am glad you are able to do what you love for a living; 99% of us never get to experience that.

You're hard work paid/persistents/patience paid off....you deserve this! Like VCSHox said it's been a pleasure to watch see your work over the years.

We are all proud of you, bro!

Thanks a lot guys! It has been a long journey..that is strangely just beginning. Big ups to COUNTERKICKS and PROJECTBLUEFOOT for giving me the outlet to sharemy story. NT was definitely the place that set it off for me. Seeing Jason's work up here so many years ago was so inspiring, then just having a brutallyhonest (lol) audience to get feedback from was really a great way for me to grow and see different perspectives. I will always owe something to Niketalk!

Thanks again to everyone for all of the support and I will represent to the fullest for you guys at the swoosh!

-TH

Rock- thanks for posting homie! I appreciate the love!

Congrats! Hope to see some of your work on the court (or field, etc.) and in store shelves.

P.S. Take BP with you.

Much congrats! I don't post much, but in the 6-7 years or so i've been on the site I always thought you had the best designs on this board. Best ofluck and congratulations, it's always treat to hear stories of deserving, good people reaching their goals and dreams

Congrats Vocal

I remember your work from over the years. Glad to see your hard work and persistence paid off.

smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom