Considering move from DC area to ATL. vol. The rent is too damb high

There's chatter...and then there's reality. And the reality is that DC has the biggest millennial growth in the entire country.

So I don't know what they'll say if you people in a few cities about DC or ATL...but statistics say everyone in the entire country born from the early 80s to the early 2000s seem to be transplanting to DC more than anywhere else.

There's chatter...and then there's reality. And the reality is that DC has the biggest millennial growth in the entire country.

So I don't know what they'll say if you people in a few cities about DC or ATL...but statistics say everyone in the entire country born from the early 80s to the early 2000s seem to be transplanting to DC more than anywhere else.

Which is why the "jobs, jobs, jobs" thing is null and void. Yeah there are a lot of jobs but there's also a Hell of a lot of people coming here too. Which is why a lot of those millenials are working in DC for barely 30k a year living 4 to a 2 bedroom :lol:

View media item 1412486

Last edited:
You said that you could do the same thing in ATL that you could do in DC. That is patently false. The federal government is out here, just that fact alone sets DC apart. There are jobs out here you will NEVER be able to get in ATL. Opportunities atl people will never see. There are 4 elite cities in America. NY, DC, LA, and Chicago. ATL just ain up there.

Elite cities guy? You are Reaching! I like this discussion because it brings the B grade comedians out the woodwork. Straight Comical.

I wanna know your definition in regards to a city being Elite. Enlighten the people for me.

But here's how I see it. DC doesn't make itself a better city than ATL just because it has a huge federal gov't presence. Same as with Coca Cola & CNN being headquartered in ATL doesn't make IT a better city than DC. Bank of America & Snyders/Lance being HQ'd in Charlotte doesn't make itself a better city than Houston who has ConocoPhillips & Halliburton based in its city. DC has a more proper rail line/mass transit system, ATL has better year round weather. Does one of those trump each other? Nope. It comes down to your preference.

All major cities have their own unique traits. If I wanted to go into banking, NYC or Charlotte is my choice. If I wanted to get on with an oil company...I'm hitting Houston with the quickness. If I wanted to go into teaching on the college level, I would roll to the Raleigh/Triad area of NC. Unique traits bro, unique, every single major city.

Ohhhhhh, I got his *** now (Foxxhole)

@JayzOnMyToes somebody set you up and told you to move to woodbrigde? :lol: one of the worst commutes in the area. Hope you're not driving into the city.

You should look up the Dulles Technology Corridor.

DMV version of Silicon Valley.
Annapolis Junction also, it is a govt & contractor Silicon Valley. People really don't understand how big the IT/Software industry is here.

@LuckyLuchiano IT/Software and the government/contractors go hand in hand. If you knew how people with these government clearances are eating you would understand the significance. Just having a certain level clearance will bring you 100K with little experience.

Even nongovernment companies such as Google,Microsoft,Amazon, VMware,IBM, Exxon, etc are all here hiring people in the 6 figures.

DMV>ATL tech wise and thats a fact.

Last edited:
DC may be considered southern geographically but it definitly has a more northeast vibe.  

@JayzOnMyToes somebody set you up and told you to move to woodbrigde? :lol: one of the worst commutes in the area. Hope you're not driving into the city.

You should look up the Dulles Technology Corridor.

DMV version of Silicon Valley.
Annapolis Junction also, it is a govt & contractor Silicon Valley. People really don't understand how big the IT/Software industry is here.

@LuckyLuchiano IT/Software and the government/contractors go hand in hand. If you knew how people with these government clearances are eating you would understand the significance. Just having a certain level clearance will bring you 100K with little experience.

Even nongovernment companies such as Google,Microsoft,Amazon, VMware,IBM, Exxon, etc are all here hiring people in the 6 figures.

DMV>ATL tech wise and thats a fact.

There's also a reason why the DMV didn't really take too hard of a hit (compared to other places around the US) when the housing bubble burst. People with money, or the potential to MAKE money, will always be there. The #'s don't lie. If I remember correctly, there 4 of the top 10 counties (would be 5, depending on whether or not you consider Howard Co. part of the DMV) for median income in the COUNTRY are in the DMV. The tech boom is a good reason as to why.

DC may be considered southern geographically but it definitly has a more northeast vibe.  

DC has absolutely nothing to do with the south. People from DC down to NC know that. I guess it's people who don't have a clue of the area or city knows that. My mans brought out the mason Dixon chart tho. That how you know he doesn't have a clue. :lol:

I have always thought of leaving but one thing that I am spoiled by is NOT having to drive to work. Metro going even where is such an underrated luxury of this area

Atl overrated

Outside of Atlanta there isn't **** in Georgia. I would stay in the dmv or move somewhere else with better places in a nice radius from that city before I chose atlanta

Atlanta sucks bro. Outside of 4-5 spots that "city" is a joke especially compared to the likes of NYC, DC , Chicago , LA , and San Francisco. I'd take dirty *** Manhattan a million times before I'd allow myself to let junkie *** Lenox square mall or five points be my version of "downtown". Easily the worst major city I've ever been to.

I made that move when I was younger. Just make sure your car is tiptop. The Marta ain't the Metro.

Atlanta sucks bro. Outside of 4-5 spots that "city" is a joke especially compared to the likes of NYC, DC , Chicago , LA , and San Francisco. I'd take dirty *** Manhattan a million times before I'd allow myself to let junkie *** Lenox square mall or five points be my version of "downtown". Easily the worst major city I've ever been to.
Then stay your *** away out of Atlanta then :lol: :lol: Nothing but out of towners live in Atlanta these days. Cheap living and good weather is why people from the northeast keep moving down here. Rarely do I ever meet other Atlanta natives like myself out in the city. Atlanta is a melting pot inside a melting pot. Gettin my *** out to Cali soon and never comin back tho. Semi srs.

Last edited:
Then stay your *** away out of Atlanta then :lol: :lol: Nothing but out of towners live in Atlanta these days. Cheap living and good weather is why people from the northeast keep moving down here. Rarely do I ever meet other Atlanta natives like myself out in the city. Atlanta is a melting pot inside a melting pot. Gettin my *** out to Cali soon and never comin back tho. Semi srs.

You'll be back to Cali. I promise you. I wish I could stay out of Atlanta but unfortunately my mom and two little brothers live there. Place is so damn overrated I just don't understand

I think what makes ATL cool is the fact that its rise has to do with black business. I love that a majority black city with growth. Its kind of what people thought DC would grow to be.

You'll be back to Cali. I promise you. I wish I could stay out of Atlanta but unfortunately my mom and two little brothers live there. Place is so damn overrated I just don't understand
I've been here my whole life. Never been anywhere else. Never traveled outside the bordering states. I've never been to Cali or NY. But if I take a vacation out to Cali I seriously doubt I would come back to Atl.

I think what makes ATL cool is the fact that its rise has to do with black business. I love that a majority black city with growth. Its kind of what people thought DC would grow to be.
That is what's cool about Atlanta. Atlanta is "Black Hollywood" and Black people really do run Atlanta. I'm white tho lol.

you sound emotional. relax.

You said that you could do the same thing in ATL that you could do in DC. That is patently false. The federal government is out here, just that fact alone sets DC apart. There are jobs out here you will NEVER be able to get in ATL. Opportunities atl people will never see. There are 4 elite cities in America. NY, DC, LA, and Chicago. ATL just ain up there.

lol man go take a nap, who cares about the federal govt being in a city? If I dont want to work for the govt what does it matter? Once again, Anything I would want to do in DC I can do in ATL. Now if you're into taking tours of the pentagon more power to you but that has nothing to do with me. And I guarantee you Ask anyone that lives in NYC,LA, or the Chi would they rather live in DC or ATL, they will say ATL.

From LA and I chose ATL over DC for med school

So I just took a look at that city comparison calculator and I would have to say that it isn't very accurate. Claims that housing is 61% cheaper in ATL than in the DMV. Not sure if this is comparing renting prices or housing prices,but I just took a quick look at some luxury style apartments in ATL and they were all atleast $1000/mo some starting at $1600(DMV prices btw).

So if you move to ATL and make less do you plan on upgrading your quality of life or keeping it the same? Cuz I know if I move to the south I'm gonna atleast get a luxury apartment 1000sqft. If you are making less and paying close to the same amount in rent I can't see how 53K = 75K compared to DMV salary. I really don't buy it.

Depends on what part of ATL or metro ATL when talking bout what your gonna pay for housing. Atlanta is really spread out. U can live very comfortable right outside the perimeter(285) for 1000$ a month. Cost more to live in the city.

DC has absolutely nothing to do with the south. People from DC down to NC know that. I guess it's people who don't have a clue of the area or city knows that. My mans brought out the mason Dixon chart tho. That how you know he doesn't have a clue.
laugh.gif
yeah when i meant geographically i meant him using the mason dixon chart.  

Depends on what part of ATL or metro ATL when talking bout what your gonna pay for housing. Atlanta is really spread out. U can live very comfortable right outside the perimeter(285) for 1000$ a month. Cost more to live in the city.

I'd want to be in the city. Makes no sense to me to move to a cheaper area and still gotta live on the outskirts cuz you can't afford to live in the city :lol: hustling backwards.

I've heard about how bad ATL traffic is too , so it would make sense to be in the city.

Last edited:
Only folks that should be complaining about traffic in the dmv are folks that live/work in nova or Bowie/new Carrollton

Back
Top Bottom