Cool @#$! Your Dad Did

My dad was a failure. Haven't seen dude in 11 years 
laugh.gif

All the women in my family are crazy talkative and always on the go. I'm laid back like my pops
pimp.gif
used to watch him and my uncle play video games for hours on end, and I've had a controller in my hands since I was 4 years old. He used to take me golfing too but I never got any good. Would watch WWF then try out the moves on me
laugh.gif
he rebuilds cars and would take me to the junkyard with him. When you're a kid junkyards are awesome lol when he was younger he went on a bender and lost his car took him 3 days to find it
laugh.gif
once he stole a car hood because he was missing one for one of his projects. him and a bunch of my other relatives used to work the night shift downtown cleaning and what not and I've heard some stories
laugh.gif
oh yeah and fishing. Always out fishing with pops and unc. Good times
pimp.gif
Forgot to add, made me cry at my wedding. I was fine and dry until he came to the bridal room right before walking me down the aisle and he broke down the second he saw me. Still gets me teary eyed just thinking about it. He's not a crier at all

All the women in my family are crazy talkative and always on the go. I'm laid back like my pops
pimp.gif
used to watch him and my uncle play video games for hours on end, and I've had a controller in my hands since I was 4 years old. He used to take me golfing too but I never got any good. Would watch WWF then try out the moves on me
laugh.gif
he rebuilds cars and would take me to the junkyard with him. When you're a kid junkyards are awesome lol when he was younger he went on a bender and lost his car took him 3 days to find it
laugh.gif
once he stole a car hood because he was missing one for one of his projects. him and a bunch of my other relatives used to work the night shift downtown cleaning and what not and I've heard some stories
laugh.gif
oh yeah and fishing. Always out fishing with pops and unc. Good times
pimp.gif
Forgot to add, made me cry at my wedding. I was fine and dry until he came to the bridal room right before walking me down the aisle and he broke down the second he saw me. Still gets me teary eyed just thinking about it. He's not a crier at all

He retired from the navy after 20 years.
He was a starting point guard for the All Navy basketball team for 9 years. (he's 5'5")
But the realest thing was whooping my behind so i didnt grow up to be a knucklehead

He retired from the navy after 20 years.
He was a starting point guard for the All Navy basketball team for 9 years. (he's 5'5")
But the realest thing was whooping my behind so i didnt grow up to be a knucklehead

You guys have inspired me to sit down and have a convo with my dad about the things he's done outside of "being dad".

But I can say that as I've gotten older I've grown to respect him more and more.

I don't know if it was a direct correlation, but my mom was 3 months preggo with my sister when they got married. He dropped out of college to support the three of them.

Early on he worked odd construction jobs to pay the bills, joined the Air Force, then ended up taking out loans and using connections from his dad to buy a dump truck.

Had two more kids, grew the company to include three more trucks, went back to school and graduated with a degree in accounting.

Worked for Price-Waterhouse for a few years before returning to the trucking company after my uncle nearly drove it into the ground. Today it is one of, if not THE, largest minority-owned dump trucking companies in the state.

Because he was his own boss he had the flexibility to do a lot of the little things I took for granted as a kid. Always there to take us to practice, never missed games, always the loudest cheerleader. I knew that if I missed the bus he could take me to school, knew that if I was sick that I could call him to pick me up. Let us watch movies/listen to music that our mom would've been pissed to know we were exposed to lol. He's made a decent amount of money so now that we're all out of the house (and nearly all out of college), he's living it up buying toys and taking trips. This whole paragraph is my inspiration for working hard because I want to be able to do the same for my kids some day.

But above all that the coolest thing to me about him was that after he and my mom divorced, he fought for joint custody of my siblings and I. Based off of comments from people in this thread, that's not something most guys do. I don't tell him enough but I love him and I'm thankful for him and the relationship that we have.

You guys have inspired me to sit down and have a convo with my dad about the things he's done outside of "being dad".

But I can say that as I've gotten older I've grown to respect him more and more.

I don't know if it was a direct correlation, but my mom was 3 months preggo with my sister when they got married. He dropped out of college to support the three of them.

Early on he worked odd construction jobs to pay the bills, joined the Air Force, then ended up taking out loans and using connections from his dad to buy a dump truck.

Had two more kids, grew the company to include three more trucks, went back to school and graduated with a degree in accounting.

Worked for Price-Waterhouse for a few years before returning to the trucking company after my uncle nearly drove it into the ground. Today it is one of, if not THE, largest minority-owned dump trucking companies in the state.

Because he was his own boss he had the flexibility to do a lot of the little things I took for granted as a kid. Always there to take us to practice, never missed games, always the loudest cheerleader. I knew that if I missed the bus he could take me to school, knew that if I was sick that I could call him to pick me up. Let us watch movies/listen to music that our mom would've been pissed to know we were exposed to lol. He's made a decent amount of money so now that we're all out of the house (and nearly all out of college), he's living it up buying toys and taking trips. This whole paragraph is my inspiration for working hard because I want to be able to do the same for my kids some day.

But above all that the coolest thing to me about him was that after he and my mom divorced, he fought for joint custody of my siblings and I. Based off of comments from people in this thread, that's not something most guys do. I don't tell him enough but I love him and I'm thankful for him and the relationship that we have.

-along with his 3 closest friends, at the age of 18, he swam from China to Macau to escape persecution/communism. Sadly, one of his 3 friends ended up getting washed away by a wave and drowning.
frown.gif

-worked hard in Macau for a year on the DL, saved up enough money to move to Hong Kong, where he met his Dad for the very first time

-hustled in HK, after two years, saved up enough to fly to the USA with $10 in his pocket and in 2 years started his own business/company which is still running today.

-introduced me to the game of Basketball.
pimp.gif

-went to Japan a year ago, came back inspired and built a 3000 gallon Koi fish pond from scratch.

- provided more than enough for my Mom, my brother, my sister and myself. bought cars for everyone one of us.

- has never asked for a DAMN thing in return.
tired.gif

love my pops.....

-along with his 3 closest friends, at the age of 18, he swam from China to Macau to escape persecution/communism. Sadly, one of his 3 friends ended up getting washed away by a wave and drowning.
frown.gif

-worked hard in Macau for a year on the DL, saved up enough money to move to Hong Kong, where he met his Dad for the very first time

-hustled in HK, after two years, saved up enough to fly to the USA with $10 in his pocket and in 2 years started his own business/company which is still running today.

-introduced me to the game of Basketball.
pimp.gif

-went to Japan a year ago, came back inspired and built a 3000 gallon Koi fish pond from scratch.

- provided more than enough for my Mom, my brother, my sister and myself. bought cars for everyone one of us.

- has never asked for a DAMN thing in return.
tired.gif

love my pops.....

taught me how to throw a vicious right straight/hook.

taught me how to slim-jim & hotwire a car "for emergencies only".

brought me up on Slayer, Sabbath, Metallica, Motorhead & Van Halen and every Sunday was Motown/P-Funk day.

had a mean hook shot... dude could hit from like the neighbor's driveway.

saw him knock someone out at the State Fair of Texas in 1990 for almost knocking my baby sister's stroller over & laughing about it. sounded like a baseball bat slammed into hard earth, dude was OUT before he hit the ground.

got one of those black descrambler boxes so we could watch UFC, ECW, WWF & WCW PPVs.

Molotov'ed this kid's truck in the neighborhood for running into our fence & driving off. (allegedly!)

beat the spit outta someone in a Porsche for cutting him off & flicking a cigarette out the window at him.

he punked my vice-principal and school resource officer my senior year. they 'detained' me for having a Pantera shirt (it was just the logo). the "we'll call your parents" card was played and I told them to do it. he shows up, and just SCREAMS at my VP for wasting my time and his day off for this nonsense. he's punking this dude around his own office, and has him leaned back in his own chair trembling. he finally goes to leave, and by this time there's a crowd outside the office area. the officer comes in and he tries to block my dad from leaving. my dad points to the cop's waist, laughs and says "mine's bigger and HATES Garland pigs. after you tend to your boyfriend in there, meet me outside in 5 minutes if you want to make the news." and shoulder checked him walking out.

he also taught me generosity. he never gave the homeless cash, but he bought plenty of sandwiches & meals for them. would always stop to help change a tire. gave out numerous cigarettes without a second thought. taught me to never judge someone down on their luck.

he also told Jerry Jones to GFY like right after he bought the Cowboys, partially for firing Tom Landry & partially for complaining to my dad for not ringing the bell and hand-delivering the mail (he was a branch supervisor then, and had to cover a route when the OG carrier's kid went to the hospital that day). Jerry Jones called the postmaster general, and pretty much got schooled. wrote my dad an apology note that he still has to this day.

dude was a maniac with a heart of gold. he's mellowed out a lot the last few years, but last time I dropped him off at the airport yelled at the screener that he'd shove his wand up his rear if he touched him again.

taught me how to throw a vicious right straight/hook.

taught me how to slim-jim & hotwire a car "for emergencies only".

brought me up on Slayer, Sabbath, Metallica, Motorhead & Van Halen and every Sunday was Motown/P-Funk day.

had a mean hook shot... dude could hit from like the neighbor's driveway.

saw him knock someone out at the State Fair of Texas in 1990 for almost knocking my baby sister's stroller over & laughing about it. sounded like a baseball bat slammed into hard earth, dude was OUT before he hit the ground.

got one of those black descrambler boxes so we could watch UFC, ECW, WWF & WCW PPVs.

Molotov'ed this kid's truck in the neighborhood for running into our fence & driving off. (allegedly!)

beat the spit outta someone in a Porsche for cutting him off & flicking a cigarette out the window at him.

he punked my vice-principal and school resource officer my senior year. they 'detained' me for having a Pantera shirt (it was just the logo). the "we'll call your parents" card was played and I told them to do it. he shows up, and just SCREAMS at my VP for wasting my time and his day off for this nonsense. he's punking this dude around his own office, and has him leaned back in his own chair trembling. he finally goes to leave, and by this time there's a crowd outside the office area. the officer comes in and he tries to block my dad from leaving. my dad points to the cop's waist, laughs and says "mine's bigger and HATES Garland pigs. after you tend to your boyfriend in there, meet me outside in 5 minutes if you want to make the news." and shoulder checked him walking out.

he also taught me generosity. he never gave the homeless cash, but he bought plenty of sandwiches & meals for them. would always stop to help change a tire. gave out numerous cigarettes without a second thought. taught me to never judge someone down on their luck.

he also told Jerry Jones to GFY like right after he bought the Cowboys, partially for firing Tom Landry & partially for complaining to my dad for not ringing the bell and hand-delivering the mail (he was a branch supervisor then, and had to cover a route when the OG carrier's kid went to the hospital that day). Jerry Jones called the postmaster general, and pretty much got schooled. wrote my dad an apology note that he still has to this day.

dude was a maniac with a heart of gold. he's mellowed out a lot the last few years, but last time I dropped him off at the airport yelled at the screener that he'd shove his wand up his rear if he touched him again.

Graduated law school at the age of 21
Went pro in tennis (stopped playing professionally because he was one of the worst professional tennis players, but hey he went pro)
My dad had all the girls back in college and HS, that is one thing I did not inherit from my father 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Taught me to truly value a good education
He has given me the inspiration to learn to love life and always try new things and make myself better

Graduated law school at the age of 21
Went pro in tennis (stopped playing professionally because he was one of the worst professional tennis players, but hey he went pro)
My dad had all the girls back in college and HS, that is one thing I did not inherit from my father 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Taught me to truly value a good education
He has given me the inspiration to learn to love life and always try new things and make myself better

Pops was cool, man....
-Dude's a sports freak...can beat anyone including me in any sport other than basketball

-His first job in the U.S. was at a bowling alley and has amazed me with a couple accounts of perfect games

-I used to think he was a softie growing up cuz he always told me to avoid fights until I saw him pound the living kimchi outta three fools in Oakland for talking @$#+ about moms and me

-Dude slept on a damn sidewalk on a hot summer night because the sidewalk was cool in his teen days

-Quit smoking cold turkey when I told him to stop when I was about 6 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-Acts like mom's gossip is annoying and
indifferent.gif
's her then tells me all her secrets while giggling an hour later 
laugh.gif

-Ran an 11.2 100m while being a half a pack a day smoker 
sick.gif

-Hooked me up with cable illegally before they came out with those damn digital box things

-A lady cop came up to our house and claimed that neighbors complained about a woman screaming.  Dude replied with his broken English saying it must have been my mom when she saw him nekkid 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

-Was inspired by Transformers the movie (first one) and told me I was due for a new car.  Drives through the mercedez dealership had me like 
eek.gif
.  Circles all the way back to the crib and gives me the keys to a beat up '93 camry that my grandma used to drive

-Went to play poker with his friends one random night.  Left with 300 came back with 2000

-Has knocked me out COLD at age 50 cuz I disrespected my mom.  Been nice to my mom since

-But right now, dude works graveyard shift with a bad back and shoulder just to support my mom and me every damn day....and when I consider that he hasn't quit, none of the things above even play a factor when I consider him a cool dad.  He loves me more than he loves himself and that's all I could ever ask for

Through all this, he still doesn't know any famous people
30t6p3b.gif

But definitely appreciated, taught me how to be a man and set guidelines on how to be the perfect father 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Pops was cool, man....
-Dude's a sports freak...can beat anyone including me in any sport other than basketball

-His first job in the U.S. was at a bowling alley and has amazed me with a couple accounts of perfect games

-I used to think he was a softie growing up cuz he always told me to avoid fights until I saw him pound the living kimchi outta three fools in Oakland for talking @$#+ about moms and me

-Dude slept on a damn sidewalk on a hot summer night because the sidewalk was cool in his teen days

-Quit smoking cold turkey when I told him to stop when I was about 6 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-Acts like mom's gossip is annoying and
indifferent.gif
's her then tells me all her secrets while giggling an hour later 
laugh.gif

-Ran an 11.2 100m while being a half a pack a day smoker 
sick.gif

-Hooked me up with cable illegally before they came out with those damn digital box things

-A lady cop came up to our house and claimed that neighbors complained about a woman screaming.  Dude replied with his broken English saying it must have been my mom when she saw him nekkid 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

-Was inspired by Transformers the movie (first one) and told me I was due for a new car.  Drives through the mercedez dealership had me like 
eek.gif
.  Circles all the way back to the crib and gives me the keys to a beat up '93 camry that my grandma used to drive

-Went to play poker with his friends one random night.  Left with 300 came back with 2000

-Has knocked me out COLD at age 50 cuz I disrespected my mom.  Been nice to my mom since

-But right now, dude works graveyard shift with a bad back and shoulder just to support my mom and me every damn day....and when I consider that he hasn't quit, none of the things above even play a factor when I consider him a cool dad.  He loves me more than he loves himself and that's all I could ever ask for

Through all this, he still doesn't know any famous people
30t6p3b.gif

But definitely appreciated, taught me how to be a man and set guidelines on how to be the perfect father 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dr Mantis Toboggan

Originally Posted by bkmac

The year was 1969, and my dad (15 at the time) cut school with a few friends of his to head to Shea Stadium to try and get a glimpse of Game 5 of the World Series. Somehow, he was able to sneak into Shea with his friends (someone opened up a back door for them), and they were able to watch the game, and the win. His friends and him actually ran onto the field after the game had ended in celebration, and that's how my grandma caught him (he was caught on television cameras) 
roll.gif

Crazy story 
pimp.gif

bkmac wrote:

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]T[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]a[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]m[/color][color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]Y[/color]a[color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]n[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]k[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]e[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]s[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]
What's so Ray J about that? My dad is a Mets fan (born and raised in Queens), I'm a Yankees fan. I chose that path to have a friendly father-son rivalry with him growing up. He's Team Jets though all the way just like me (he watched SBIII on t.v..

Originally Posted by Dr Mantis Toboggan

Originally Posted by bkmac

The year was 1969, and my dad (15 at the time) cut school with a few friends of his to head to Shea Stadium to try and get a glimpse of Game 5 of the World Series. Somehow, he was able to sneak into Shea with his friends (someone opened up a back door for them), and they were able to watch the game, and the win. His friends and him actually ran onto the field after the game had ended in celebration, and that's how my grandma caught him (he was caught on television cameras) 
roll.gif

Crazy story 
pimp.gif

bkmac wrote:

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]T[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]a[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]m[/color][color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]Y[/color]a[color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]n[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]k[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]e[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]s[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]
What's so Ray J about that? My dad is a Mets fan (born and raised in Queens), I'm a Yankees fan. I chose that path to have a friendly father-son rivalry with him growing up. He's Team Jets though all the way just like me (he watched SBIII on t.v..

Back
Top Bottom