Covid-19 Essential Workers Check-in Thread

Some really interesting jobs everyone has.

I just work for a tech company and handle overall end to end business operations and deal structure. Our whole company is working at full tilt and everyone working remotely. Got it easy compared to most of you.

Our company is cloud security though so we’re fairly essential and actually seeing huge spikes in usage etc. Lot of shady players out there that would take advantage of times like this and dmaage critical infrastructures of true essential companies without the sort of security backbone we (and others) provide. Only thing that makes me feel good about this - to not be in useless tech at a time like this when the world is hurting. Weird feeling. Just two months ago our biggest concern as a company was the Super bowl (we were tasked with cloud security for streaming)

Social disatancing has me so bored I came back to NT :lol:

I'm a union electrician. Came back from a long *** vacation and got a job at the end of February :lol: then the shelter in place hit on March 16th. Everything got shut down after that, most construction jobs (us) are out. Everybody is furloughed or laid-off. Most of us are collecting unemployment, that's $450 weekly (lol) from California plus the $600 from the federal gov't. A few scattered reports of people having issues or penalties resulting in delays or issues with unemployment.

I'm blessed and grateful to have the ability to stay home. I know not everybody else is in the same situation, one of the thing that bothers me so much is the lack of meaningful action taken to protect the essential workers. It's absolute bull**** that somebody can be out there risking their health so I don't starve and not be paid decent hazard pay. I've grown to hate Jeff Bezos even more since all of this began.

Somebody asked me if I was an essential worker and I said "no, expendable... that's why I'm staying home."

All of you essential workers out there, please be safe and don't forget you and your family's safety is priority number 1. Do not put your job over your health, take the extra precautions, and if you can, stay home.

man my boss kept us all laid off too.

we got essential paperwork but none of us wanna work. :lol:

was supposed to come back in April.

Social disatancing has me so bored I came back to NT :lol:

I'm a union electrician. Came back from a long *** vacation and got a job at the end of February :lol: then the shelter in place hit on March 16th. Everything got shut down after that, most construction jobs (us) are out. Everybody is furloughed or laid-off. Most of us are collecting unemployment, that's $450 weekly (lol) from California plus the $600 from the federal gov't. A few scattered reports of people having issues or penalties resulting in delays or issues with unemployment.

I'm blessed and grateful to have the ability to stay home. I know not everybody else is in the same situation, one of the thing that bothers me so much is the lack of meaningful action taken to protect the essential workers. It's absolute bull**** that somebody can be out there risking their health so I don't starve and not be paid decent hazard pay. I've grown to hate Jeff Bezos even more since all of this began.

Somebody asked me if I was an essential worker and I said "no, expendable... that's why I'm staying home."

All of you essential workers out there, please be safe and don't forget you and your family's safety is priority number 1. Do not put your job over your health, take the extra precautions, and if you can, stay home.
Welcome back bruh.. remember that SN years ago.
San Mateo county got smacked by our union and we got the green light for hazardous pay. Time and a half since whenever this **** started.

man my boss kept us all laid off too.

we got essential paperwork but none of us wanna work. :lol:

was supposed to come back in April.

That's even better. I know it's complicated and at the very least a hell of a speed bump for us going forward, but wait it out bro!

Welcome back bruh.. remember that SN years ago.
San Mateo county got smacked by our union and we got the green light for hazardous pay. Time and a half since whenever this **** started.

Thanks bro, recognize your SN too!

That's great to hear, imo anybody that's working rn you should be making no less than time and a half. If they can't pay, then it's not essential. Another thing that bugs me is seeing the building trades as a whole working towards getting us back to work :smh:

Hope all is well, stay safe!

highway heavy boy over here. My union hasn’t done a damn thing for us except take my 1.50 raise that was supposed to go on my check and put .75 of it into my healthcare fund “because corona made rates go up”

I don’t wanna hear them crying when I switch unions.

we’re about to go back to work in a week or two I think. Idk, I don’t really care. I’m either in a truck, skid steer or roller. I’m not around a lot of people.

how is the morale at your workplaces?

Mine is up and down. Not being able to go out anywhere and it's mandatory that we have to wear masks at all times. But in the end, we're all grateful that we still have a job and maintain our steady income.

I work in the Scheduling Dept at a Distribution Center for one of the major Grocery retailers. First couple of weeks this all started, it was chaotic. Our workload shot up like by about 40% on a daily basis. It's leveled off recently.

Last edited:
Looks like companies like McDonalds is providing free meals to any essential employees that ask for the "Thank You" meal. Just heard that Wendys is doing the same.

on another note, morale around here has been all over the place. On one hand, you have this virus craze & on the other hand you have Roc Nation trying to sue us for mistreatment of inmates.

Back
Top Bottom