COVID-19 Information Thread

Please limit this thread to information about the virus. Please do not get carried away posting minute-by-minute updates on the number of cases. This thread will complement the original, long-standing thread for general discussion about coronavirus, found here: https://niketalk.com/threads/hide-ya-wives-hide-ya-kids-worldwide-coronavirus-pandemic.688294/

I'll later add in some information about proper safety measures to minimize the risk of transmission of coronavirus, what to do if you or someone you know has symptoms, and maybe an overview of the science behind the virus itself but also the epidemiology involved. (if anyone wants to contribute this info, let me know or just post in here and I'll incorporate it into this post).

COVID-19 TRACKERS

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html (a few hours behind)
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en (limited to just US and Canada)

https://covid19.healthdata.org/ (this shows projections for number of hospital beds needed and deaths. you can look state by state)

Last edited:
how do you deal with being home all day?
hard for me to deal tbh
I know it's tough for my wife. Having the inability to bring our kids out to the park during the day or meet up with friends to have a playdate is tough.

Good video. S. Korea is recognized as one of the countries that actually have this pandemic under control in their country.
Interview with the lead Doctor fighting this pandemic.

Funny how the WHO says citizens dont need masks yet he's saying they do.

how do you deal with being home all day?
hard for me to deal tbh

I been taking walks and going for drives on the days I been working from home. lots of reading, meditation, yoga, music, exercise.

thinking about buying a basketball hoop for the driveway and a small soccer goal for the backyard

Loss of taste and smell are symptoms associated with covid-19, it seems. But they are also associated with the common cold / upper respiratory infections.

I've had the common cold dozens of times and never lost my sense of taste. Diminished? Sure. Smell occasionally with a stuffy congested nose to explain it.

She's saying she's breathing through her nose the best she's ever had since this happened.

I've had the common cold dozens of times and never lost my sense of taste. Diminished? Sure. Smell occasionally with a stuffy congested nose to explain it.

She's saying she's breathing through her nose the best she's ever had since this happened.
interesting. i don't doubt it. it's not as well-studied as other symptoms, so it's not typically used for diagnosis (in the absence of a viral test). i did find this: "In a survey of 59 patients with COVID-19 in Italy, 34 percent self-reported either a smell or taste aberration and 19 percent reported both."

Loss of taste and smell are symptoms associated with covid-19, it seems. But they are also associated with the common cold / upper respiratory infections.

Change in taste/smell in other infections is associated with nasal blockage. Change in taste/smell in covid can happen with a clear nose.

have you been in the other thread?

One dude said some kids should be executed because of a video of them riding their bikes.

another said he hadn’t been around his own dog in while because he didn’t want his dog to spread it to his family

I understand the severity of this disease, but some people are taking it to the extreme in my opinion.

Washing their mail and groceries in the bathtub?

one guy was mad because someone was getting paid to landscape, like the bushes were going to give him Coronavirus :lol:

that thread is insane
Yeah sometimes you just want the info without the stupid. Like I saw some cat say "most people don't even know how human contact works" with all seriousness. I don't even know the context of the argument they were having, but I knew it was time to take a break from that thread.

What do you guys think the next year will look like? Let's assume we get this mostly under control by June and can start to reopen things but the vaccine won't be ready until fall 2021 if everything goes as planned.

There's a few approaches:

- One is to slowly relax social distancing but then ramp it back up locally whenever we see cases start to reappear in a region.

- The second is to do aggressive testing. Assuming we can widely deploy point-of-care testing for COVID, then we frequently check the population and we routinely check everyone who shows up to a hospital or clinic. Routine temperature checks could go along with that too. Maybe everyone gets a thermometer and checks their temperature every morning before you brush your teeth. If it's ever high, you automatically go in for COVID-19 testing.

- The third (which Germany seems to be doing already) is start testing people for antibodies against coronavirus and thus identify those who are immune. I don't see this being as useful, yet, if a small fraction of the population has been exposed. But if we start getting cities where 40-50% of people have been exposed, this may be helpful.

- The fourth (but overlaps with the first two) is testing and/or quarantining anyone who travels into or out of a region.

I think people are hoping that approach #1 will happen and we'll be filling the stands for NFL kickoff by August, but I just don't see that happening. And I think it's a ****ty approach on its own. We'll need a combination of a few of these. I also think all companies should consider how to minimize contact for the next full year. That means discouraging crowds (no full stadiums, no Black Friday, work from home if possible, etc.), providing purell in every store and office, and perhaps everybody wearing masks once we have enough to go around.

I see face masks being a "worldwide social standard" AND not just an "Asian thing" from this point forward once we have settled down this virus.

No longer will Asian countries be alone with wearing "dust face masks" in public settings, I expect more Americans (and other people in Western countries) wearing these same dust face masks in your regular every day grocery store, mall, church, etc.

I see face masks being a "worldwide social standard" AND not just an "Asian thing" from this point forward once we have settled down this virus.

No longer will Asian countries be alone with wearing "dust face masks" in public settings, I expect more Americans (and other people in Western countries) wearing these same dust face masks in your regular every day grocery store, mall, church, etc.

If they put the dust mask on NikeID I’m in

What do you guys think the next year will look like? Let's assume we get this mostly under control by June and can start to reopen things but the vaccine won't be ready until fall 2021 if everything goes as planned.

There's a few approaches:

- One is to slowly relax social distancing but then ramp it back up locally whenever we see cases start to reappear in a region.

- The second is to do aggressive testing. Assuming we can widely deploy point-of-care testing for COVID, then we frequently check the population and we routinely check everyone who shows up to a hospital or clinic. Routine temperature checks could go along with that too. Maybe everyone gets a thermometer and checks their temperature every morning before you brush your teeth. If it's ever high, you automatically go in for COVID-19 testing.

- The third (which Germany seems to be doing already) is start testing people for antibodies against coronavirus and thus identify those who are immune. I don't see this being as useful, yet, if a small fraction of the population has been exposed. But if we start getting cities where 40-50% of people have been exposed, this may be helpful.

- The fourth (but overlaps with the first two) is testing and/or quarantining anyone who travels into or out of a region.

I think people are hoping that approach #1 will happen and we'll be filling the stands for NFL kickoff by August, but I just don't see that happening. And I think it's a ****ty approach on its own. We'll need a combination of a few of these. I also think all companies should consider how to minimize contact for the next full year. That means discouraging crowds (no full stadiums, no Black Friday, work from home if possible, etc.), providing purell in every store and office, and perhaps everybody wearing masks once we have enough to go around.
As someone who works at a NFL stadium, highly doubly games would be played without fans entirely. A lot of money from sporting events come directly from purchasing season tickets on top of merchandise and concessions. Everything would be operating at a negative

I do agree with masks being more of common thing going forward. Understandably that not all have to be N95s but anything breathable and dust blocking would be widely seen. Fully expecting the Supreme masks to be out by September

To remove all the banter and commentary (and spiritual debates) from the other COVID thread, here is the PDF version of the announced "Re-open America's Economy Plan" and all of its phases in full detail

As for a small summary of what it is:

What is in the plan?

They include some recommendations across all three phases including good personal hygiene and employers developing policies to ensure social distancing, testing and contact tracing.

Phase one includes much of the current lockdown measures such as avoiding non-essential travel and not gathering in groups. But it says large venues such as restaurants, places of worship and sports venues "can operate under strict physical distancing protocols".

If there is no evidence of a resurgence of the coronavirus, phase two allows non-essential travel to resume. The guidance says schools can reopen and bars can operate "with diminished standing-room occupancy".

Under phase three, states which are still seeing a downward trend of symptoms and cases can allow "public interactions" with physical distancing and the unrestricted staffing of worksites. Visits to care homes and hospitals can resume and bars can increase their standing room capacity.

Some regions could begin returning to normal after a month-long evaluation period, at the earliest, according to the document.

In places where there are more infections or where rates begin to rise, it could take longer.

The co-ordinator of the White House coronavirus task force, Dr Deborah Birx, told Thursday's briefing that as states worked through the three phases, they could allow for more and more employees to return to work in increments.

Phase three would be the "new normal", she said, and would still include suggestions that vulnerable people should avoid crowded spaces.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52314866

Back
Top Bottom