-[ CRITIQUE MY FLYER (ARTISTS/DESIGNERS COME ON IN) ]-

Well I designed a flyer for an event, just wondering if i can get some constructive criticism from those who design and what should be on a flyer and where theinfo is placed to make things for effectiveness

maybe some tips from the artists on here?? 206, Mstrpln, Fongstarr, j20, etc

jan18.gif

Here are other flyers that I dig (I didn't design these! Just shown for examples):

fashencanada.jpg

off the rip it looks like it should be for a Halloween/costume party
2nd i would include a contact # and maybe dress code info if any
3rd it seem cliche but a fine female specimen always attracts attention-

^ woord never thought about the costume party thing, I can see that now
laugh.gif

and there probably won't be any printed flyers - and they wouldn't have flashing lights

How funny I know the guy who was throwing the last weekly there and bombed miserably. I also designed the flyer for his first event (that never $$%!%** gotprinted). At any rate...

My first thought was loose the drop shadow behind "doors" (over open), it makes it look like you put it there as an after thought.

Also the full zipped guys in the left corner add nothing to the composition. I get (I think?) that you're going for a certain demographic, but my personalthought is that it doesn't belong there.

Other than that it's a decent flyer.

Originally Posted by RawSheed

^ woord never thought about the costume party thing, I can see that now
laugh.gif

and there probably won't be any printed flyers - and they wouldn't have flashing lights

if your not printing them then you'll be good w/out the female but yea between the font (skulls) and the pix in the top corner its looking halloweenish

Originally Posted by Parallel Plane

How funny I know the guy who was throwing the last weekly there and bombed miserably. I also designed the flyer for his first event (that never $$%!%** got printed). At any rate...

My first thought was loose the drop shadow behind "doors" (over open), it makes it look like you put it there as an after thought.

Also the full zipped guys in the left corner add nothing to the composition. I get (I think?) that you're going for a certain demographic, but my personal thought is that it doesn't belong there.

Other than that it's a decent flyer.

word? How did that event go?
yeah looks like I might be deleting the corner, and the shadow on the doors was accidentally put there, I thought it wouldgo unnoticed but looks like it's easy to catch

cam - Wiz Khalifa_Say Yeah http://www.nahright.com/news/2008/01/08/wiz-khalifa-say-yeah/

if your not printing them then you'll be good w/out the female but yea between the font (skulls) and the pix in the top corner its looking halloweenish
any font suggestions? The font I used for the main title event is the Goonies font
laugh.gif

Composition wise, the 2nd and the 3rd are the best IMHO. The 1st could be great but its colour choice and typography choice is a tad uninspired. I hope i dontcome off as a harsh critic, just being honest. The 2nd is a really cool idea using the slightly western based font but the colour choice throws it off i feel.With more toned down colours (possibly in keeping with the western/vintage theme it'll be dope. The 3rd one is dope full stop...

Colours dont have to be bright pantones to get your attention, it can work even in monotones, its all in the application....

You have nice design skills, keep up the good work- be sure to include all relevant club night info in a flyer, because as well as conveying a design ethos andbe attention grabbing, it must inform everything you need to know for the night but be easy on the eye. Even good flyers only have 15 seconds to convince youbecause people dont always give it a fair chance....

Oh, and humour or being topical goes a LONG way in flyer design....
wink.gif

My bad on the delayed response. I was trying to upload my flyer to photobucket to show you what I did, but I'm having difficulties, so eff it.

As for the event it flopped hard. Dude who threw it did NO advertising, just word of mouth to his homies and that's about all that showed up. He didn'teven print the flyers that I pulled a 24 (straight, no sleep with the flu) shift on, drawing, designing and editing. How in the hell do you do a weekly andprint no flyers? The second one, someone else designed the flyer and he still didn't get them printed!

Word on the streets is he had no loot to get them done. LAAAAAAAAAAAME.

The spot itself is in an excellent location, as you know 5th gets heavy traffic, but it needs to be promoted right. Are you throwing this? Who's DJ DeadSerious (excuse my ignorance).

If you put in the work, you could have a winner, now that Landlords is done. You should try to pull in that same crowd.

My bad on the delayed response. I was trying to upload my flyer to photobucket to show you what I did, but I'm having difficulties, so eff it.
Word, if you can, maybe you can email and forward it to me? nnourn@gmail.com
As for the event it flopped hard. Dude who threw it did NO advertising, just word of mouth to his homies and that's about all that showed up. He didn't even print the flyers that I pulled a 24 (straight, no sleep with the flu) shift on, drawing, designing and editing. How in the hell do you do a weekly and print no flyers? The second one, someone else designed the flyer and he still didn't get them printed!
Yah, he told me he depends on the word of mouth when I met up with him. well, I'm not sure if we're even talking about the same guy so Idon't know. I just told him online flyers are just as effective so I would whip up something real quick.

The spot itself is in an excellent location, as you know 5th gets heavy traffic, but it needs to be promoted right. Are you throwing this? Who's DJ Dead Serious (excuse my ignorance).
word, that's why I'm excited about it. I'm not throwing it, but yeah, if this thing was at least decently promoted I'm sure moreheads would show up. DJ Dead Serious=Me
laugh.gif

If you put in the work, you could have a winner, now that Landlords is done. You should try to pull in that same crowd.
School me on Landlords?

Landlord Jims?

You seriously never head of that spot? It was on Broadway closer to Golden Hills and was THE place to be downtown on Friday nights. Questlove DJ'd a showthere a couple of months ago. That spot used to be jam $*+$**@ packed. There was no admission and a nice mixed crowd there every week.

Unfortunately that block got bought and so went Landlords.

Hmm, I think they're great. Work on the typography on them some more. Typography make and break everything in Graphic Design and they're overwhelminglyimportant in flyers. Sometimes simpler is better. Some seem a bit too jumbled up. Notably the first, second one and some in the others. I'm sure you canidentify what I'm talking about if you just stand far back and look at them for a second or two.

The last one, for example, the date doesn't seem to get the attention you seem you wanted it to have. It could use a bit more solidarity and contrast. Whenyou list the artists performing the attention goes straight to the '&' than the names themselves. Maybe you should make the artist name blue andthe '&' black? Remember Typography is probably THE most important thing (and it can get frustrating to work with) when it comes to flyersespecially. Good luck!

You did an awesome job w/ the graphic elements throughout. Keep doin' what you do! Hope this helped a bit

...Time to go back to sleep...

Sup_

You want my personal opinion?

I would scratch the whole thing and re-do it.

Gradiant can be effective if used right but not with text over it. Especially with white text. "Fixed Friday" is cool as is.
I know your DJ name is Dead Serious but lose the Bape and Dead Serious hoody pic. If its a club event add
people dancing, or girls on it. Hot girls will always attract people to come to these events. Or if you wanna have a "dead serious"
theme to it throw in some skulls if not "Fixed Friday" already portrays the "dead serious" part.

I'd also want to use different font faces. I do not like those "micky mouse" fonts. One thing to remember is
font placement can MAKE or BREAK your design.

Point ENT. is hard to read over a black background. "doors" above open is way off.

I see you wanna keep it simple yet attracive (bright).

For me I'd follow these two formulas. Very effective and simple.

Hope that helps.

Peace.

I'm more of a purest when it comes to graphic design so none of them are really my speed but I don't really do party flyers other than as joke morethan anything.

- That background grey is really flat and kind of boring... I'd either go with black or a more pungent color. You're trying to garner peoples attentionthat gray isn't helping.

- That gradient is a bit much. I think you can use the color scheme (it's not great but not terrible either) a lot more effectively that gradient thatlooks kind of corny like you just learned how to use gradients and you want to show that off.

- Also I would agree with J20 that the bape and lrg hoodies are unnecessary and odd. I'd get rid of them

- Personally I think you're using too many typefaces. stick with one off the wall weird one font for titles etc and then body copy type.

- Also some of the spacings both leading and tracking are odd. Like somethings are really bunched in and tight some to way too much degree and other things arespaced out with quite a bit of room.

- Lastly the random drop shadows are odd. Stick to an motif and run with it. Don't drop shadow one thing and then not another, but personally Iwouldn't do drop shadows on this...

Back
Top Bottom