Cross Country Tips

Ok NT, tomorrow will be my first time at a cross country event, and I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous. This is my first year running cross country, but I did do a little bit of distance running last spring. I thought cross country would be a good idea because it will keep me fit and in shape for the upcoming track season, and I was right because, so far, training sessions have been tough and a challenge.

Any way, my timed mile is 7:42 and my 3.1 mile or 5k was 27:??. Any tips you guys might have? Something along the lines of breathing patterns, footwork, or even timing?

I also have a condition called Pectus Excavatum. It's when your chest dips inward. My doctor told me it's very mild if anything, but I do have the flared ribs associated with the condition. Does anybody else have this on the board? I wanted to know if having it will affect your performance when running and competing.

Thanks.

Hassan16

Ok NT, tomorrow will be my first time at a cross country event, and I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous. This is my first year running cross country, but I did do a little bit of distance running last spring. I thought cross country would be a good idea because it will keep me fit and in shape for the upcoming track season, and I was right because, so far, training sessions have been tough and a challenge.

Any way, my timed mile is 7:42 and my 3.1 mile or 5k was 27:??. Any tips you guys might have? Something along the lines of breathing patterns, footwork, or even timing?

I also have a condition called Pectus Excavatum. It's when your chest dips inward. My doctor told me it's very mild if anything, but I do have the flared ribs associated with the condition. Does anybody else have this on the board? I wanted to know if having it will affect your performance when running and competing.

Thanks.

Hassan16

Congrats, I ran CC and it was lots of fun, not to mention a "lifelong" type sport/activity. For races, I always used a 3step/2step breathing pattern and then quickened to a 2/1 (steps while breathing in, steps while exhaling). If I kept balanced like that I never got side cramps. Just keep working at it, the nice thing about running compared to other sports is that if you keep putting the work in you will definitely improve.

Congrats, I ran CC and it was lots of fun, not to mention a "lifelong" type sport/activity. For races, I always used a 3step/2step breathing pattern and then quickened to a 2/1 (steps while breathing in, steps while exhaling). If I kept balanced like that I never got side cramps. Just keep working at it, the nice thing about running compared to other sports is that if you keep putting the work in you will definitely improve.

thanks for the tip fury. I've been trying out a lot of different breathing techniques lately.

Also, should I inhale through my mouth or through my nostrils? And the same question for exhaling.

thanks for the tip fury. I've been trying out a lot of different breathing techniques lately.

Also, should I inhale through my mouth or through my nostrils? And the same question for exhaling.

Back
Top Bottom