Cruise Captain says he "tripped" into lifeboat

The captain of the Italian cruise ship gave a slapstick explanation of how he ended up safely in a lifeboat instead of going down with his ship, saying he tripped and fell into the boat as it was being lowered into the sea, Italian media reported today.

"I had no intention of escaping," Francesco Schettino, 52, said during his first court hearing Tuesday, according to Italy's Corriere della Sera newspaper.

"I was helping some passengers put the life boat to sea. At a certain point the mechanism for lowering it, blocked. We had to force it. Suddenly the system unblocked itself and I tripped and I found myself inside the life boat with a number of passengers."

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Yeah, we believe you.

http://news.yahoo.com/cruise-captain-says-tripped-lifeboat-couldnt-153914621--abc-news.html

Lol thats really the best excuse he could come up with the whole time riding in that lifeboat?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
this trial is gonna be interesting...i've read all types of stories about him and his crew partying at the bar, messing with women etc

then once it went bad he was out!

No trial. Just execution. Tie a cement block to his ankles and toss the $%+@ in the ocean. Dude walking around thinking this %%%@ is a joke still
30t6p3b.gif

hell tell u the truth i dont blame him... i heard the tape.... dude was near the rescuers boats, the remaining passengers were on the end of the boat that was sinking... it was a few hundred ppl and it was pitch dark with no more rafts and life reserves. What could the captain really do? Run around in the pitch dark trying to gather up passengers and swim them one by one to safety? Or what just hangout on the ship to console them untill it sank?

The tape is kinda funny... The coast guard kept asking him are you near the passengers and give me a head count... and ole captain like huh... whats that huh and you said what again. Did not copy for like 10 minutes.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tripped.  isn't it an unwritten navy rule that the captain goes down with the ship, even if it isn't completely submerged under water?

Y'all been watching too many movies. If I got a shot at living, i'm outta there too...might even push you out the way if need be.

Originally Posted by LDJ

hell tell u the truth i dont blame him... i heard the tape.... dude was near the rescuers boats, the remaining passengers were on the end of the boat that was sinking... it was a few hundred ppl and it was pitch dark with no more rafts and life reserves. What could the captain really do? Run around in the pitch dark trying to gather up passengers and swim them one by one to safety? Or what just hangout on the ship to console them untill it sank?

The tape is kinda funny... The coast guard kept asking him are you near the passengers and give me a head count... and ole captain like huh... whats that huh and you said what again. Did not copy for like 10 minutes.
If you're a captian of a ship, you are not supposed to get off until everyone is safe.  Dude got off the ship 6 hours before other people....negligence to the 10000000th degree. 

also, wasn't this fool reprimanded for steering his cruise ship too close to the shore last year?  Dude should have been fired off of that.  Lawsuits galore off of this one...

Y'all been watching too many movies. If I got a shot at living, i'm outta there too...might even push you out the way if need be.

Don't take the job if that's your mindset. 

Originally Posted by AceBoogie

it is what it is
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

also, wasn't this fool reprimanded for steering his cruise ship too close to the shore last year?  Dude should have been fired off of that.  Lawsuits galore off of this one...

yea i read they like to go off course and ride close to some island where the captain and crews fam live? they blow the horns and wave and all that
laugh.gif

again all this stuff is coming out but who knows whats true at this point

Indeed.

IMO...

Outside of the military, police, and stuff like that.... There is no job worth dying for.

This is what I thought but I'm sure that theres some code of conduct that I'm not aware of for people to be getting this up in arms about it

That's a piss poor excuse by the captainn but at he least he tried.

Y'all been watching too many movies. If I got a shot at living, i'm outta there too...might even push you out the way if need be
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ya'll dudes grimey mayne
laugh.gif

I hope you stay at your jobs where nothing is at stake but a few dropped McNuggets...
30t6p3b.gif
This dude had thousands of lives literally in his hands. Its your duty to see to the safety of those men, women, & CHILDREN who put their lives in your $*% care...

laugh.gif
same here man.
That's why I'm not a captain of a ship

im pretty sure the captain of the ship has to take sum kinda vow to make sure every passenger gets off the boat safely before he gets off. thats y this is such a big deal

there is too much technology out there for a captain to not know the water is too shallow for the boat to pass.

Originally Posted by Antidope

This is what I thought but I'm sure that theres some code of conduct that I'm not aware of for people to be getting this up in arms about it

its just how it has always been since centuries ago. The captain goes down with the ship, or at least until every1 is safe and accounted for. Back then it used to be about honor and pride. But also these captains get paid big money, so it's basically their jobs to not abandon before every1 else.

Back
Top Bottom