Custom Orion Griffeys

I've had this custom idea since I first saw this colorway, but I finally found a pair for a good price and had the time to work on it. I always thought this colorway worked well together and had a lot of potential, but the blocking really didn't do the shoe justice IMO. With all the panels on the upper being gray, they really killed the contrast that makes this shoe such a striking model. I mean the stark black and white lines of the OGs, where that swoosh really popped off the shoe, is what caught my (and probably your) eye back in '95. Not to mention the metallic finish on the swoosh, which I wasn't a fan of either.

So I decided to try my hand at my idea of this colorway the way it "should have been"
tongue.gif

Basically, this is all I did:

1) Painted the panel on the uppers white
2) Painted the swoosh black
3) Painted the bubble surrounds black
4) Painted the "24" on the strap.

The only thing that gave me any problem was the strap. The paint would not adhere to the rubber at all and I'm sure it will have to be touched up repeatedly, but I felt it was a necessary step that completed the custom. And I'm sure the black will rub off the bubble surrounds when they get scuffed, but it's not like they were any better straight from Nike
grin.gif

laugh.gif
.  So anyway, on to the pics.

As released (obviously not my pic)

griffey_orion0.jpg

Finished product:

2f09n5k.jpg

a81v9.jpg

kf2niu.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with how they came out. They look exactly the way I had envisioned all along, so that's about all I could ask for. Thanks to Justin, Jake, Viet, and Brian for the advice they offered.

Let me know what you think! Comments/criticisms welcome. Thanks!

I've had this custom idea since I first saw this colorway, but I finally found a pair for a good price and had the time to work on it. I always thought this colorway worked well together and had a lot of potential, but the blocking really didn't do the shoe justice IMO. With all the panels on the upper being gray, they really killed the contrast that makes this shoe such a striking model. I mean the stark black and white lines of the OGs, where that swoosh really popped off the shoe, is what caught my (and probably your) eye back in '95. Not to mention the metallic finish on the swoosh, which I wasn't a fan of either.

So I decided to try my hand at my idea of this colorway the way it "should have been"
tongue.gif

Basically, this is all I did:

1) Painted the panel on the uppers white
2) Painted the swoosh black
3) Painted the bubble surrounds black
4) Painted the "24" on the strap.

The only thing that gave me any problem was the strap. The paint would not adhere to the rubber at all and I'm sure it will have to be touched up repeatedly, but I felt it was a necessary step that completed the custom. And I'm sure the black will rub off the bubble surrounds when they get scuffed, but it's not like they were any better straight from Nike
grin.gif

laugh.gif
.  So anyway, on to the pics.

As released (obviously not my pic)

griffey_orion0.jpg

Finished product:

2f09n5k.jpg

a81v9.jpg

kf2niu.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with how they came out. They look exactly the way I had envisioned all along, so that's about all I could ask for. Thanks to Justin, Jake, Viet, and Brian for the advice they offered.

Let me know what you think! Comments/criticisms welcome. Thanks!

the white came out very nice, i always fear painting on midsoles and cracking, but this is from doing a dunk low back then, and making the entire midsole one color and watching it crack on me lol

now all you need is to take a small detailing brush, and do the trim around the swoosh to make it official!

did you give up on the 24????

the white came out very nice, i always fear painting on midsoles and cracking, but this is from doing a dunk low back then, and making the entire midsole one color and watching it crack on me lol

now all you need is to take a small detailing brush, and do the trim around the swoosh to make it official!

did you give up on the 24????

^ Thanks man.

Originally Posted by daaznfella

Yeah, I know. Thanks for noticing
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
  Yeah, I'm going to get the edges, I forgot about it until you said that.

As for the 24, I just stripped the coating with acetone as much as I could and did a couple coats of angelus. The glue-mixing wasn't happening for me. I'm sure the paint's gonna rub off those (especially with jeans), but I'll keep touching it up if necessary until I figure out a more permanent solution.

^ Thanks man.

Originally Posted by daaznfella

Yeah, I know. Thanks for noticing
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
  Yeah, I'm going to get the edges, I forgot about it until you said that.

As for the 24, I just stripped the coating with acetone as much as I could and did a couple coats of angelus. The glue-mixing wasn't happening for me. I'm sure the paint's gonna rub off those (especially with jeans), but I'll keep touching it up if necessary until I figure out a more permanent solution.

Very nice!!! Small details are the biggest things in most cases and this was well executed...

Very nice!!! Small details are the biggest things in most cases and this was well executed...

very nice job Seth! I love the way they came out, the contrast with the white on the upper makes all the difference. I see what you mean now about the 24 on the rubber kind of finishing it off. looks great!

very nice job Seth! I love the way they came out, the contrast with the white on the upper makes all the difference. I see what you mean now about the 24 on the rubber kind of finishing it off. looks great!

Well done! The color contrast makes all the difference! I think the black swoosh looks great, but am also curious how it would look with an orion swoosh...

What paint did you use for the white section (as well as the black swoosh)? I wonder how it'll hold up?

And yeah, fix the trim around the swoosh!
laugh.gif

Well done! The color contrast makes all the difference! I think the black swoosh looks great, but am also curious how it would look with an orion swoosh...

What paint did you use for the white section (as well as the black swoosh)? I wonder how it'll hold up?

And yeah, fix the trim around the swoosh!
laugh.gif

They came out great Seth! that's exactly how Nike should have dropped them, it would have been a hit IMO.

damn....I might have to bite.....
laugh.gif

They came out great Seth! that's exactly how Nike should have dropped them, it would have been a hit IMO.

damn....I might have to bite.....
laugh.gif

Thanks for the comments guys.

SinnerP - Yeah, I thought about that on the swoosh.  But I wanted to go for the closer-to-OG look and also didn't want to mess with mixing the color. As for the paints, I used white Angelus on the uppers; I did 4 thin coats. Angelus has a little bit of a gloss to it so I was thinking I'd have to do a top coat with duller mixed in. But I was pleased with the way it came out, just a touch of gloss and actually less shiny than the midsoles were from the factory.

For the swoosh and bubble surrounds, I used black Createx airbrush paint (used a regular brush though). I've used both Createx and Angelus extensively in the past, and I've never had any trouble with cracking after wear. We'll see how it goes though, never say never
wink.gif
I'll update with anything I notice after I wear them a few times.

Justin - if you can find a pair for a good price, go for it. Plus, if you send them to V they'll come out looking a lot better than mine
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Thanks for the comments guys.

SinnerP - Yeah, I thought about that on the swoosh.  But I wanted to go for the closer-to-OG look and also didn't want to mess with mixing the color. As for the paints, I used white Angelus on the uppers; I did 4 thin coats. Angelus has a little bit of a gloss to it so I was thinking I'd have to do a top coat with duller mixed in. But I was pleased with the way it came out, just a touch of gloss and actually less shiny than the midsoles were from the factory.

For the swoosh and bubble surrounds, I used black Createx airbrush paint (used a regular brush though). I've used both Createx and Angelus extensively in the past, and I've never had any trouble with cracking after wear. We'll see how it goes though, never say never
wink.gif
I'll update with anything I notice after I wear them a few times.

Justin - if you can find a pair for a good price, go for it. Plus, if you send them to V they'll come out looking a lot better than mine
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom