Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
I know y’all having a discussion in here but just with what happened this weekend
Dave is 100% correct on this if we want to get the gun laws updated

Screenshot 2022-05-15 175543.jpg

anyways
I highly recommend this book,
it really captures what bugs me so much about a certain kind of politics.
I read a couple of previews for this and I can tell I won't enjoy it.

Seems like it is making the usual leftist critique of high profile liberals, which I somewhat agree with, then extends to places beyond reasonable.

The reason we don't see more bottom down solutions has mainly to do with our political/electoral system. Not elite capture on the progressive left.

Like people will complain about identity politics but the people on the left that say they are the worst offenders of it are not the ones stopping legislation. Elite capture happens because our political system allows it.

These hang-ups about elites just seem to me like more of the same complaining without offering any real answers for a path forward or an alternative strategy (which would be find if they didn't harp on the lack of results right now as one of their central criticisms). There is no leftist plan to beat all the dark money, right-wing propaganda, election rigging, corporate rent-seeking, and delivery of material gains to anyone else. So instead of trying to solve that equation, we instead get complaints about how the people that are trying to do it are doing it wrong.

Critiques like these, and the people who make them (including the dude that wrote this book), are seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are guilty of the same "talking but not producing results" they dislike so much from the "elites" pushing identity politics.

I haven't read the book so I can't comment beyond this. But generally, people that deploy this leftist critique of elites and identity politics do it in a way that is sloppy. Seemingly to make it easier to be dismissive of as many people as possible.

Last edited:
I read a couple of previews for this and I can tell I won't enjoy it.

Seems like it is making the usual leftist critique of high profile liberals, which I somewhat agree with, then extends to places beyond reasonable.

The reason we don't see more bottom down solutions has mainly to do with our political/electoral system. Not elite capture on the progressive left.

Like people will complain about identity politics but the people on the left that say they are the worst offenders of it are not the ones stopping legislation. Elite capture happens because our political system allows it.

These hang-ups about elites just seem to me like more of the same complaining without offering any real answers for a path forward or an alternative strategy (which would be found if they didn't harp on the lack of results right now). There is no leftist plan to beat all the dark money, right-wing propaganda, election rigging, corporate rent-seeking, and delivery of material gains to anyone else. So instead of trying to solve that equation, we instead get complaints about how the people that are trying to do it are doing it wrong.

Critiques like these, and the people who make them (including the dude that wrote this book), are seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are guilty of the same "talking but not producing results" they dislike so much from the "elites" pushing identity politics.

well ill just say the book isn't really focused on the classic
(and tired) american identity politics debate,

covers the phenomenon of elite capture more broadly
in multiple contexts, outside of the american political system.

The term “identity politics” was first popularized by the 1977 manifesto of the Combahee River Collective, an organization of black feminist activists. In a recent interview with the Root and in an op-ed at the Guardian, Barbara Smith, a founding member of the collective, addresses common misconceptions about the term. The manifesto, she explains, was written by black women claiming the right to set their own political agendas. They weren’t establishing themselves as a moral aristocracy—they were building a political viewpoint out of common experience to work toward “common problems.” As such, they were strongly in favor of diverse people working in coalition, an approach that for Smith was exemplified by the Bernie Sanders campaign’s grassroots approach and its focus on social issues that people of many identities face, especially “basic needs of food, housing and healthcare.” According to Smith, today’s uses of the concept are often “very different than what we intended.” “We absolutely did not mean that we would work with people who were only identical to ourselves,” she insists. “We strongly believed in coalitions and working with people across various identities on common problems.”

The concept of elite capture originated in the study of developing countries to describe the way socially advantaged people tend to gain control over financial benefits meant for everyone, especially foreign aid. But the concept has also been applied more generally to describe how political projects can be hijacked—in principle or in effect—by the well positioned and resourced, as Yang’s “step up” demand exemplifies. The idea also helps to explain how public resources such as knowledge, attention, and values get distorted and distributed by our power structures. And it is precisely what stands between us and Smith’s urgent vision of coalitional politics.

Interesting read, and I find myself agreeing with the points made here wrt to the definition and examples of elite capture.

I will also say that elite capture is not something that automatically happens, as we've seen plenty of instances where the elite has been pushed out of the group or pushed to adopt the dominant view of the group in order to maintain their membership.
These hang-ups about elites just seem to me like more of the same complaining without offering any real answers for a path forward or an alternative strategy (which would be find if they didn't harp on the lack of results right now as one of their central criticisms). There is no leftist plan to beat all the dark money, right-wing propaganda, election rigging, corporate rent-seeking, and delivery of material gains to anyone else.
Agree.

If identity politics is defined as the segmentation of political groups for a better representation of these smaller groups' interests, it sounds to me that the goal should be the establishment of a very fluid political ecosystem, where parties created to respond to the challenges of the day can be born and thrive legislatively, while parties that addressed issues that have been resolved are allowed to die or become irrelevant, and it is something that I don't see a sizeable number of people on the left do because the results are not immediate and a fair bit of compromise will be needed to get there.

The more I read about the author's views and the book, the more I don't see how it applies to the Netflix situation to be honest.

You have to expand the definition of the elite to a middle-class mid-level employee of Netflix. Which to me is a stretch.

I don't get the whole elitist lib thing going on in here. :lol:

Netflix has a million shows, pick something that doesn't make you mad.

honestly, I think you might just have to witness it cause that type of humor really isn't much a deviation from gervais's other stuff that I've heard.
to me, this is another non-story.
I'm sorry but the Dave Chappelle story was a non story. Dave's humor has been edgy and offensive as well.

Back
Top Bottom