good seats at that
i guess rated r is the reason
cause if it was pg13
prolly be none left

JOKER

6.1/8

edit:

6.1/8 bumped to 6.5/8

It was good. It has some flaws that keeps it from being extremely great.

This film doesn't work without Joaquin Phoenix. He was really good just like in everything else he's been in. Not sure if it would've worked with someone else in the current actor landscape. A true character study by definition. Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy( ambiguity) are all accurate comparisons and I would go so far as to say with a dash of Sidney Lumet's 'Network' ( mostly near the end...)

The media outlets opinions about the violence in the film were OVERBLOWN. I've seen some extremely gruesome and violent films over the years that would probably make some of these journalists faint.

The themes in the film are worthy of discussion for sure.

Will bring up other points later.

Not sure how many of these character studies WB could do but I wouldn't be surprised If they decided on Lex Luthor. Give David Fincher or Aaron Sorkin a call...maybe...

Last edited:
Certainly not worth that 8 min standing ovation, but it captured the essence of the character. Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely incredible.

Could’ve used more violence and less Easter eggs, but I get it

great movie...........Definitely wasn't what i expected.

Only scene i didnt care for, was the one that we`ve seen OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again. Yall will know what im talking about. It was so unnecessary

movie was very good, the 8min standing O for the movie isn’t worth it but it is for Joaquin, this performance is amazing and I’d put it above heaths, where heat has the edge on being the joker is the characterization, this is just a different character

movie was a slow burn but never boring, it’s depressing, tense and scary at times, not really Uber violent but graphic when it is, it’s a character study and social commentary without it being too in your face, it’s done and paced well

i can see where people can get divided on it and I can also see where the movie could be called “Arthur” and still worked

overall a very good movie with an amazing performance from Joaquin, movie doesn’t even need to be dc and the comic connections could have been left off

i could see phillips selling this film to wb with the story/screenplay written already and inserted joker there and joaquins in the role got wb to finance it, I’d say wb might be upset at the end product but it looks like it’s gon make bank so they’ll greenlit more dc projects like these in the future and take big risks which I can’t be too mad at
not saying that’s what happened but I wouldn’t say it wasn’t a possibility

Came out the movie almost 3 hours ago and tried to let my feelings settle for the film but in all honesty I didn’t like the film as much as I was led on to believe I should. I have some gripes with the film mainly Arthur’s reasoning for going crazy. They were there but they weren’t convincing enough. Everybody in Gotham that wasn’t Thomas Wayne and family had it rough. And I’ll be the first to say it, Joaquin’s performance is overrated. He couldn’t decide if he was mentally inept or socially awkward. The movie just tried too hard in all facets. It didn’t flow like it easily could have. There are things they just spring up on you within the plot that had no seeds planted and they expect you to feel something. Just weird.

^ I would like to add that while I disagree with your assessment on his performance I thought the film was good, not great.

IMO his performance carried the film.

Came out the movie almost 3 hours ago and tried to let my feelings settle for the film but in all honesty I didn’t like the film as much as I was led on to believe I should. I have some gripes with the film mainly Arthur’s reasoning for going crazy. They were there but they weren’t convincing enough. Everybody in Gotham that wasn’t Thomas Wayne and family had it rough. And I’ll be the first to say it, Joaquin’s performance is overrated. He couldn’t decide if he was mentally inept or socially awkward. The movie just tried too hard in all facets. It didn’t flow like it easily could have. There are things they just spring up on you within the plot that had no seeds planted and they expect you to feel something. Just weird.

I disagree on his performance but agree with everything else. I just watched Far From Home this week for the 4th time since release and was still smiling the entire time. While watching Joker I kept thinking there’s no way I could watch the entire film again anytime soon. It was good but slow. The ending was great but has me sad thinking we will never get a continuation of the story.

Went to watch it with my girl at 7:30, would rate this the best Joker after Heath. Two different films, it’s like night & day in a good way. Really liked the groove of the 70’s/80’s or whatever year they were in. Gave the film a different feel. I would say though, those that deal with mental health issues, or any thoughts of suicide maybe not watch it alone. Definitely a different vibe, a movie set in the past with issues in today’s society. I give it a 9.7/10.0.

GettyImages-79164071.jpg

Just got out from my showing about an hour ago. I enjoyed the movie and echo what others say that Joaquin Phoenix did an excellent job, crazy/mental is hard to pull off but I believed his character. I liked that they tied in with the comics a bit and especially that this was a DARK superhero movie. Marvel works the comedic angle a lot, it's nice to show that a serious, dark comic book movie can be pulled off. There wasn't a lot of action, but had some tension throughout. It's too bad there are no plans for a sequel (Phoenix has never done one either), I thought this was a great villain-intro. Overall, 8.5/10

Back
Top Bottom